Forum: Ballet / Advanced & Professional Ballet

Advanced & Professional Ballet
Advice on RAD Advanced 2
By foreverdance0member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 290, member since Wed May 07, 2008
On Sun Jan 15, 2012 07:24 AM

Hi all,

I now have to decide whether or not to start studying the Advanced 2 syllabus.

Some background- I am an RAD teacher, so I'm teaching all week, I'm 21 and I've just passed my Adv 1 Exam. I am also just about to start my ISTD Modern DDI course (teaching course) while still dancing in Modern too.

I have always dreamt about doing all of my Exams (excluding Solo Seal of course) and I would love to do it and I have a brilliant and talented teacher who is able to teach it. I am able to do 'extra classes' (not Adv 2), Advanced Ballet Classes and 1 Free Adv 2 standard class, including 2 Modern classes, that would equate to 7 hours a week. But I would have to undertake private lessons of Adv 2. Thing is though; my teacher had a baby last July and I don't want to put extra pressure on her, I know she would do everything to help me though.

I just wanted advice on whether or not it's worth studying it. How long and how many hours a week did it take you to pass?

Thanks!

6 Replies to Advice on RAD Advanced 2

re: Advice on RAD Advanced 2
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 5126, member since Mon Jul 22, 2002
On Sun Jan 15, 2012 07:34 AM
It took me a year to prepare with 2 syllabus classes/week additional i had some semi- private coaching closer to the exam. I had ballet classes 6 days/week. Dancing approx. 35hrs/week

(This was for adv 2 Cecchetti)
By foreverdance0member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 290, member since Wed May 07, 2008
On Sun Jan 15, 2012 07:48 AM
There's no way I'd be able to get 35hrs a week, I wish I could though. I think it's more of a dream really, I'm defintely going to have to have a proper talk with my teacher. Especially that the Adv 2 syllabus will be changing in 2 years time...

Thanks for replying!
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Sun Jan 15, 2012 06:52 PM
I believe I took one year to prepare by taking 5 classes per week. Of course we did not concentrate on syllabus from September-June 5 days/week but as we got closer to the exam that did become our focus.

If you remember the jump in difficulty between Intermediate and Advanced 1, be prepared for an even larger jump when moving into Advanced 2. It is a great syllabus but I definetly felt the pressure when preparing. I mean, the difference between 7 fouettés on flat and 16 fouettés en pointe is huge!

That being said...I recieved Distinction on my Intermediate and Advanced 1 but dropped down to a Merit for Advanced 2.

My teacher doesn't train people for Solo Seal, I don't really think of it as being at all similar to the other exams so I'm quite satisfied with doing those three!
On Mon Jan 16, 2012 09:59 AM
I know, we had a class last week as it was only me and 3 other girls in, the rest didn't turn up, so we had a lesson on it. It was so much harder! But really beautiful. I think I'll really have to have a sit down with my teacher and just ask her to be really honest with me, as to whether or not she thinks I can do it.

It's lovely to hear what you both had and how long it took you :) wish I could have done all my exams when I was younger, but my previous teacher didn't do the Advanced grades so I missed out on quite a chunk. But fingers crossed I'll be able to do this!
On Wed Jan 18, 2012 04:02 AM
Had a talk with my teacher and she thinks that I should do it. She's going to see what she can do with private lessons, and hopefully I'll be able to get started soon!
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7575, member since Sat Jan 04, 2003
On Fri Feb 17, 2012 06:18 PM
^Good luck with it, the jump from Adv 1 is big but you should be able to do it :) It's a good challenge, if you got a few classes a week for a year, you'd probably be able to get it.

ReplySendWatch