Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

Ribbons too tight on demi-pointe
By FlyingSwan
On Wed Jan 18, 2012 03:44 PM

When I'm in demi-pointe my ribbons feel REALLY tight and are uncomfortable. It feels ok when I'm standing on flat (or in plié on flat) and when I'm on full pointe.

Right now my teacher is having us do a lot of demi-pointe work, such as walking/running and plié in demi-pointe, so I'm noticing this a lot.

Any suggestions? Should I try those ribbons that have elastic in them? (like the Bloch Elastorib ribbons).

7 Replies to Ribbons too tight on demi-pointe

re: Ribbons too tight on demi-pointe
By greenpumpkinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Jan 18, 2012 06:26 PM
Yes, Bloch Elastoribs are great stuff.
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Wed Jan 18, 2012 06:36 PM
I do think ribbons with elastics will help, however, it may not solve the problem entirely, because ribbons will wrap around your ankle again before tying. Because of this, if you are tying them too tight, or tying them in the wrong place, you will still have a uncomfortable tension on your Achilles Tendon. Consider looking at how you are tying your shoes (can they be looser? does it help to have the knot in a different location? are they sewn to the shoe at the correct angle?), and if you have the ability to invest in the elastic-included ribbons and try those.
By hummingbird
On Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:09 PM
When you go onto demi pointe the Achilles tendon expands so it will need more room, when you're on pointe it decreases it's volume so it will need less space.

So never tie your ribbons with your foot on pointe, even in pointe shoes. Always use flat position and then test it out on demi before you start to dance to make sure you have the correct tension for the full mobility of the ankle.
By DreamsontheWater
On Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:24 AM
You could try tying your ribbons with your foot in a demi-pointe position? (stretch your ankle, keep your toes flexed) Tie them so that it is comfortable and not too tight in that position.
The ribbons might look loose around the front, where they cross, but I don't think there is anything wrong with this? (I could be wrong.)
By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Jan 20, 2012 03:53 PM
Tie your ribbons with your entire foot flexed. This is the way I've been doing it ever since it was suggested to me after I experience the same problem.
By Arakmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Jan 21, 2012 08:56 AM
^ I second that.

Put your right foot upon your chair. Reach down with your right hand and grab your right ankle. Depending on how large your ankle is and how long your fingers are, there should be a fairly prominent tendon somewhere near the pads of your first two fingers. Now flex your foot. Feel how much that tendon pops out when you do that? You should also be feeling your Achilles tendon under your thumb. Y
Now press the ball of your foot against the chair. Try not to lift your heel as you do this, and you will feel your Achilles pop out against your thumb. Both of these tendons need room to function when your ribbons are tied.
By FlyingSwan
On Sun Jan 22, 2012 02:33 PM
Thanks for the comments! I do tie my ribbons with my foot flexed. (As I said, the tightness is fine when I'm standing and in plié).

I sewed ribbons on a new pair of shoes and placed them a bit differently. That did help somewhat (thanks AlwaysOnStage!), but I think I will still try the elastorib ribbon next.

ReplySendWatch