Forum: Folk / Polynesian Dance

Moves and beats for men
By tahitian_sen
On Sun Jan 22, 2012 04:00 AM

So i'm farely new to the Tahitian Dance world. I am a male, and would like some help. I could use a list of tahitian dance moves and preferably the beats that go with it. I know I'm working on it in classes. I never bring paper to class nor do I quite remember what was verbally said. I know a few of the basics

Ami
Varu
Paoti
Horo
Aua
Afata
Amaha

but what beats to go with those and are there any more. I know there are also varitions for Paoti like moving your waist down from right to left while still Paoti-ing. If anyone could help me out that would be greatly appreciated! :D

1 Replies to Moves and beats for men

re: Moves and beats for men
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:54 PM
Hey, brada! I don't know what part of the world you live in. I'm not too up on the stuff for the men, but I know the basics.

And YouTube is your friend when it comes to this kind of thing. Watching what the other kane are doing and what they're dancing to will really help. I make my son watch and he can paoti like a champ now, lol!

If you're in class, can't your teacher help you with some of this? I know some schools have some serious rules about what 'can' and 'cannot' be done for their family traditions. I know Tahitian is a lot more freer with its rules than hula, so there might not be that many restrictions on what you can dance to. Skies the limit, brada! Try it all out. Whatever gets you moving and makes you comfortable with the moves, try it out.

ReplySendWatch