Forum: Ballet / Pointe - Beginners

How to Tie Ribbons on pointe shoes...
By PewPew
On Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:54 PM

I've been playing around with placement of my ribbons and elastics on (my very first pair of pointe shoes, ZOMG!)

And, I think I am finally happy, except that.. in passing my ballet teacher suggested that I should move the outside ribbons closer to the pointe shoe seam.

I did, however now I find I have excess "baggage" or "bulge" from the ribbons after its been knotted. (using a flexed foot)

I dont like this look much at all.. and I have discovered that I can get rid of this by starting to tie my ribbons with the INSIDE of the foot ribbon first, rather then outside.

My ballet teacher objects to this.... for reasons I have yet to fully understand....

My question is... does it really matter? as long as the ribbons are knotted inside the ankle, does the starting ribbon really matter?

And... why do I have this excess ribbon/bulge when standing on flat foot?

Thanks!

5 Replies to How to Tie Ribbons on pointe shoes...

re: How to Tie Ribbons on pointe shoes...
By mliaabmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Jan 29, 2012 08:22 AM
I start with my inside ribbon; everybody I know starts with the inside except for a couple of people who do both at the same time.
By danceratcpacPremium member
On Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:19 AM
I start with the inside ribbon.
By danceratcpacPremium member
On Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:21 AM
I start with the inside ribbon. My students have gotten very sloppy. Has your teacher went thru the process with you?
By Servana
On Sun Feb 05, 2012 04:47 AM
It's most commonly done by tying the inside ribbon first, although I've seen websites which advise you to tie the outside ribbon first. It doesn't matter which one you tie first, really. I tie both of mine at the same time. And if you don't want your ribbons to sag when your foot is flexed, then you should tie your ribbons with your feet flat on the ground. That's how I do it =)

ReplySendWatch