Forum: Arts / Pets

Dog Fighting
By ballerinatwirler
On Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:01 PM

This may seem like a silly post but recently there was an article in our local paper about the police finding " dog fighting rings " in abandon houses. I live in a small town that is really nice but we have a few neighboring cities that are run down and quite frankly ghetto. Part of the article talked about these disgusting people stealing family pets to use as bait dogs and I really didn't think too much of it until tonight.. this girl that I went to high school( who lives in the same neighborhood) with posted about how she let her yorkshire terrier outside to use the bathroom and someone she couldn't see was trying to lure the dog away. She started getting comments not to let her dog alone because they've been hearing about people stealing toy breeds in the area to use in dog fights.

I have three toy breed dogs that I love more than anything and it really started worrying me. We never let the dogs out unless we physically take them out on a leash. But it scares me to think that someone is out there in the community trying to steal these specific dogs let alone any kind of dogs.

I don't know what I'm looking for in this post. I'm just disgusted about what is going on. I'm probably being paranoid but two of our dogs are really friendly and if someone broke in they would greet them happily. Thankfully we have one dog who is " intimidating " because he has issues with strangers in the house and would attack an unknown person if we weren't home.

7 Replies to Dog Fighting

re: Dog Fighting
By madseasonPremium member
On Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:51 PM
Edited by madseason (148702) on 2012-01-29 23:53:11
I wouldn't live in fear, but I would be smart with my pet and keep an eye on it. Especially if you have a really friendly pet and a low, accessible fence. People steal toy breeds because they can sell them for good money. Same goes for full-bred dogs. We had a few bichon frise go missing in my town from in front of coffee shops where they were tied up for only a few minuets. The girl who lost them was devastated.
There are three main ways to get money with a stolen pet; Resell, sell to labs, use for fight training. I once had a total moron brag to me that he would steal a dog and keep it till he saw a 'reward for lost pet' listing and then act like he found the dog, and collect the reward. If no reward was listed, he posted the dog on craigslist or just let it loose. Sick.
By ballerinatwirler
On Fri Feb 03, 2012 03:50 PM
^ My mom's a nurse and she had a patient tell her that's how he'd make his money by stealing dogs then collecting rewards.

People are so sick!!

So now we have a " dog murderer " in the area. A ton of dogs in the past few days have been tortured beyond belief and the cops have been finding dead dogs everyone in the area. Every time I go on our local paper's web site they are listing another death.
By tumblebugPremium member
On Fri Feb 03, 2012 03:57 PM
There are 2 pit bulls at our local humane society that were used in underground dog fighting rings as bait dogs. They have been at the Humane Society for 5 years now.

Both had to have extensive plastic surgery. My daughter and I volunteer there and we love them both. They are rehabilitated and gentle as can be.
By tumblebugPremium member
On Fri Feb 03, 2012 04:01 PM
Edited by tumblebug (25049) on 2012-02-03 16:02:07
I added a photo of one of them, Mercy. She is my special friend when I'm volunteering. I love her to pieces. They had to do plastic surgery and put in a breathing hole because she has no nose left- all result of the underground dog fighting.
By ballerinatwirler
On Fri Feb 03, 2012 04:30 PM
That breaks my heart. Dogs are so happy and so forgiving I can't imagine anyone being so cruel. I hope these disgusting people rot in hell for doing things like this.

It seems like lately things have gotten worse. I've seen a few dead " baby puppies " on the side of the road even some pure breed ones. There are a ton of rewards out to catch whoever is doing this.
By dreamyangel
On Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:51 AM
@ballerinatwirler -

Have the police gotten involved in your area's animal issues? You'd be surprised how low on the list animal abuse cases are to local police. You should try contacting the animal control department. Tell them all you know and ask around. The best thing you can do is impress upon the matter to everyone you see with or without a dog. The more eyes open the better. Try typing up some fliers about it and put them in people's mailboxes. If you really feel passionate about the subject, get involved in animal rights groups in your community. They exist everywhere and really make a difference in helping animals in need.

Like madseason said, animals are also sold to labs. Dog fighting is merciful compared to those. Dogs, and pets in general, are like kids. They have to be watched all the time. This is another reason why I don't like outside cats. People say they can take care of themselves but people are evil and soulless sometimes. Moral of the story, if you are a pet owner, the pet is your responsibility. It sucks that people steal them but as their guardians, we are responsible.
By ballerinatwirler
On Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:52 AM
^ Yes right now there is a massive amount of dog and puppy murders going on. A new one each day. There are massive rewards out there for anyone who has information. The way they are torturing these dogs are straight out of a horror movie. They've hung puppies, they threw stolen dogs over a highway, and now recently they have cut legs off of a few dogs.

It's all over facebook around her and all over the news. There is either one person or a group of people involved in this.

ReplySendWatch