Popular Teachers

Private lessons for someone how hasn't danced by Amoeni1
I was just informed I would be working with a student who isn't currently dancing anywhere and...

Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Health & Nutrition
What should a ballerina eat for breakfast? en>fr fr>en
By iv_loves_pointe Comments: 136, member since Mon Aug 01, 2011
On Sat Feb 04, 2012 09:26 AM

Hi everyone! I take ballet and I have a really long day at the studio today. What can I eat to give me the most energy? Oh, and what are some good snacks to eat in between? Thanks! :)

4 Replies to What should a ballerina eat for breakfast?

re: What should a ballerina eat for breakfast? en>fr fr>en
By Sumayah Comments: 6097, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:55 PM
A good balanced breakfast. Whole grains: slice of whole grain toast or bowl of oatmeal or similar, protein: scrambled egg or cup of yogurt, fruit: banana or orange or berries, herbal tea or milk/nondairy milk or coffee. Breakfast sets up your body for the day. A good snack can be fruit and cheese or hard boiled egg and vegetable strips. Drink water. You want food that will give you energy and will stick with you. Fruit and vegetables will give that instant boost, protein will stay with you and keep you going. Reasonable portions. I've found that 2oz of bell pepper and cucumber and carrot strips and 1-2oz of cheese is plenty to satisfy and nourish and keep me going. You may find you need more or less. I like hard boiled eggs and vegetable strips and apples and bananas and oranges because they're easy to carry with me. If I'm in a rush like thus morning, ill make a smoothie - 1c yogurt, 1c almond milk, sweetener, unsweet cocoa, frozen banana, berries, ice cubes. It gives me carbs and protein all in one 32oz glass I can sip on while I drive. Hopefully some others will share their meals and snacks.
By madseasonPremium member Comments: 1975, member since Wed Jan 04, 2006
On Sat Feb 04, 2012 01:06 PM
^ Sumayahs suggestions are really excellent.

When I was dancing professionally I usually started my day with a bowl of oatmeal with slivered almonds or flaxseed and a handful of berries tossed in. I'd also have half of a frozen banana blended into a cup of almond milk. And a cup of coffee or green tea.

My other go-to meal if I was in a rush was a flax-seed muffin (I would make a batch for each week or buy Flax4life brand- organic and has about 300 cal for a whole muffin) and a piece of fruit (orange, apple or 1/2 grapefruit) with a cup of coffee or green tea. I tried to get around 400 calories for breakfast, because for my size and height, that is a good number to start the day with. Anything less and I'd be feeling run down by noon. So be sure you are eating things that are nutrition dense, have a good satiety factor (like grains, oatmeal, protean) and also provide enough calories.
By slice Comments: 1152, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Sat Feb 04, 2012 01:08 PM
Ditto on the balanced breakfast. Each macronutrient has it's helpful purpose. Carbs (fruit, cereal, toast, etc.) for energy, protein (eggs, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, milk) for your muscles, and fats (milk, yogurt, eggs, etc.) for recovery. For snacks you'll probably want something carb-ish and a little sugary to give you some quick energy and keep you going. So that can be cereal, some fruit, more yogurt, anything you like.

Hopefully you found something that worked for you this morning :)
By noachkamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2116, member since Mon Jun 20, 2005
On Sun Feb 05, 2012 07:20 PM
Oatmeal!

ReplySendWatch