Forum: Arts / Debates

Page:
Page 3 of 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
re: HAES, Fat Acceptance: Gosspel or Denial?
By imadanseurPremium member
On Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:40 PM
I have a hard time hearing that we should have insurance and other programs to help people but the second it costs you money you judge the people who need the help.

Do you feel the same about covering smokers and having to pay higher premiums because they need help?? How about a meth addict that got 3rd degree burns from the meth lab they were running? That kind of stuff makes me a little annoyed...and yes I'm going to judge them because it is costing me money.

I have clients that have thyroid issues, and have issues with food covering up a lot of emotions...I also have a lot of clients that are uneducated about food choices, don't want to work out, and are LAZY. Those people don't have medical issues, they are ignorant. I had a 24 year old girl that told me bootcamp was too hard (I modify everything for people with physical limitations.) Meanwhile I have a lady 65, 58, and 50 and a guy 56 and 50 who all manage. She was just a big whiner and complainer and didn't really want to lose the weight. Maybe in the future there will be a motivating factor.
By d4jmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:20 PM
People are flawed, they have problems, they make mistakes. It's part of being human. I accept that being covered by insurance means that all kinds of people are in the pool with me. And there are other reasons for health care costs soaring such as physicians' overuse of unnecessary tests and procedures to protect themselves from malpractice suits.
By LoriCook
On Sat Feb 18, 2012 01:12 AM
The reason overweight people get dumped on and discriminated against is because our (yes, I am classified as overweight and was obese 3 years ago) bad habits are easily seen. If everyone had to hold up a sign with their health failures clearly spelled out (I text while driving, I smoke, I ride a motorcycle without a helmet, I binge drink every weekend...) perhaps fat people would be treated more fairly.

I am well educated about nutrition and exercise but just like a kid who could get an A in math but chooses to do enough to get a C, I exercise occasionally and eat dessert quite frequently. WHY SHOULD YOU CARE? It is a cop out to say overweight people are stressing the health care system and so you are affected because you have to pay taxes. We ALL die eventually. We ALL need healthcare at some point. Some people have more health problems than others. (In my experience with the elderly it has been smokers I see with the most health issues.)

As an adult I should be able to choose my body size without being lectured or made to feel like I am a fat slob. I am going to enjoy life. I could not do that on the 1000 calorie diet I need to maintain a lower weight.

Fat acceptance is not denial, I know I am overweight, but I refuse to beat myself up just because our society would like me to be thin.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Feb 18, 2012 06:50 AM
For everyone complaining that obese people are an undue burden on the insurance companies... Are you taking into account the fact that obese people die sooner? Many studies have shown that the people who use the most health insurance services are the OLDEST people - not the FATTEST people. So just like with smokers, I would imagine the higher mortality rate would at least partially compensate for their more frequent health problems. Does anyone have the actual statistics or are we just dumping on fat people again?
By pasdechat101
On Sat Feb 18, 2012 07:50 AM
I dont see why this is a problem- obese people are unhealthy. They have a medical condition, which is being obese. Using this logic, they have a medical condition, therefore they are unhealthy. It is denial to tell yourself that you can be fat and healthy. Being fat is a health issue! It can cause many problems (I believe that someone before me pointed it out).If you're fat, you are not receiving proper nutrition and you are not leading a healthy life.
pasdechat
On Sat Feb 18, 2012 07:57 AM
obese people are unhealthy.
If that's true, provide ANY definition that says so. As I already said, I actually took the time to look up the definition, and I could not find even one that says obese people are unhealthy. This is not a matter of your opinion. This is a definition. We have things called DICTIONARIES that provide definitions for words. I already said all this if you had bothered to read the thread.
On Sat Feb 18, 2012 08:01 AM
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2012-02-18 08:05:47 ..
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2012-02-18 08:07:59 link link
We ALL die eventually.

And it is astonishing that some obese people don't care they have a much better chance of dying sooner.

As an adult I should be able to choose my body size without being lectured or made to feel like I am a fat slob.

Yes you can choose to be as big as you want. I don't think society should stop talking about the risks of obesity because you are defensive. Nobody can make you feel like a fat slob. You choose your own reaction, simple as that.

I am going to enjoy life. I could not do that on the 1000 calorie diet I need to maintain a lower weight.

Wow, who said anything about advocating a 1000 calorie diet? There are plenty of ways to enjoy life without gorging on food.

Fat acceptance is not denial, I know I am overweight, but I refuse to beat myself up just because our society would like me to be thin.

Some people (I'm not saying you) choose the road of acceptance to bury their feelings of inadequacy, bury their feelings of unworthiness, and don't think that they can maintain a healthier life. They just give up because its easier being fat than working towards something better. Every goal takes work. Some settle for making $5.00 an hour because they don't believe they are worth more or they just aren't capable of doing more, and some people want to move mountains and create monumental empires. It's all about what you are willing to do, what you believe about yourself, and defining what you care about. Some people care about cheesecake more than living longer. That doesn't work for me, and I really try to help my clients see it differently, but some can't let go of their limiting beliefs and ways of life/eating that are so ingrained. It takes a lot of will power, discipline, and commitment and not all people have that.

Are you taking into account the fact that obese people die sooner? Many studies have shown that the people who use the most health insurance services are the OLDEST people - not the FATTEST people. So just like with smokers, I would imagine the higher mortality rate would at least partially compensate for their more frequent health problems. Does anyone have the actual statistics or are we just dumping on fat people again?

Because they die sooner they pay less taxes, and stop working in the work force sooner therefore many statistics also take into account the money lost from production for them dying early. Obese people also miss more work, and some are on disability because of their health issues. Yes, the elderly does account for the highest portion of healthcare, but being obese is rising every year due to the obesity problem in America. For many obese people it is preventable, it is a choice. Smoking is also a choice that costs us all a stupid amount of money. They are the 2 top preventable cause of deaths in society.

www.usatoday.com . . .

abcnews.go.com . . .

www.getamericafit.org . . .

www.huffingtonpost.com . . .

gmj.gallup.com . . .

If that's true, provide ANY definition that says so.

Well I don't think definitions give cause and effect ratios. If you look at the statistics, life expectancy, diseases attributed to obesity, productivity lost etc. it's hard to make a case that they are healthy. Where is there a definition that says obese people are healthy? Are smokers healthy? Not as healthy as they could be if they stopped. Same as someone losing weight...they could be much healthier. Eating better and exercising never makes anything worse.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Feb 18, 2012 09:02 AM
As an adult I should be able to choose my body size without being lectured or made to feel like I am a fat slob.

I don't think so. Someone can say I choose to be an addict, I choose to be an anorexic, I choose to refuse to treat any medical issue.

I'm not okay with that. I think that's some jacked up mental gymnastics. It's complete disrespect for your body and for your own well-being.

You live a better life when you're healthy. Fact. You feel better, both mentally and physically; you live longer, you'll be in less pain, you'll have more energy, feel more alert, etc., etc.

It doesn't make me prejudiced to want that for everyone. I refuse to accept less than the best and so should you.
On Sat Feb 18, 2012 09:32 AM
Because they die sooner they pay less taxes, and stop working in the work force sooner therefore many statistics also take into
account the money lost from production for them dying early.
You're not thinking about how social programs work. Old people pay ZERO taxes AND they spend the most money. When someone dies before retirement, there is never a period where they're collecting benefits without contributing. When a person lives to be 95, they may require two decades of intensive geriatric care without contributing ANY taxes.

Smoking is also a choice that costs us all a stupid amount of money. They are the 2 top preventable cause of deaths in society.
Love to know where you're getting your facts. www.nytimes.com . . .
On Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:54 AM
First of all the model only simulated lifetime health costs for three groups of 1,000 people. The study was conducted in the Netherlands therefore the health care costs, tests that are normally run and obesity factors are different from the United States. These figures also do not include social and economic loss of production costs.

I looked but couldn't find any studies to back this up. It was published in 2008, but no supporting studies are around, but there are 50 more current studies from various studies that dispute these facts.
re: HAES, Fat Acceptance: Gosspel or Denial? (karma: 1)
On Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 AM
OK, so you're totally dumping on fat people with absolutely no data to back it up? How is that acceptable? If you make a "factual" statement like "Obese people cost taxpayers money," you should be able to provide proof. ESPECIALLY considering how hurtful that statement is to so many people.

Furthermore
A second study, published in the American Journal of Public Health on Jan. 30, looked at the relationship between body image and health. The authors compared people of similar age, gender, education level, and rates of diabetes and hypertension, and examined how often they reported feeling under the weather over a 30-day period. It turned out that body image had a much bigger impact on their health than body size. In other words, two equally obese women would have very different health outcomes, depending on how they felt about their bodies.

These results suggest that the stigma associated with being obese—feeling fat—is a major contributor to obesity-related disease and ill health.

racial and cultural subgroups with more moderate attitudes toward obesity seem to experience more moderate health effects.
According to this study, the fact that everyone dumps on fat people (which obviously worsens their self-image) is actually making them miss more work. So if you want to improve the economy, stop telling fat people they're lazy.

source: www.slate.com . . .
On Sat Feb 18, 2012 01:02 PM
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2012-02-18 13:09:51 ..
OK, so you're totally dumping on fat people with absolutely no data to back it up?

Didn't the links I provide have data? Here is another that was part of a recent fitness class.

missclasses.com . . .

www.msnbc.msn.com . . .

I still can't find any evidence that it is cheaper to be fat. I can't find any evidence where obese = healthy.

The first study in the article is all about the Dutch paper which is flawed for the reasons I already stated.

The study about body image is also making a grand leap. It doesn't say that obese people called in MORE than normal sized people. They found that based on people's images of themselves with the same body type they have much different responses. You edited out a key sentence in what you posted:

Likewise, two women with similar insecurities would have more similar health outcomes, even if one were fat and the other thin.

"Feeling" fat, isn't the same thing as being fat. I am not obese, but some one with a different body image than me could feel it was. Body size wasn't the issue infact it doesn't mention what the body sizes were of the people being tested.

Before Christmas I went out with a few of my clients who have issues with eating and choices they make. One of them swore up and down she eats healthy but refused to do food logs because she was too busy. We decided to go out for dinner and talk about menu choices. One girl told me what would be typical for her boyfriend and her to eat if they came out to that particular restaurant. It totaled 3,000 calories. She had no idea and felt some of her options were healthy. Other people in the group were equally as surprised when we broke down the menu, and were also surprised you could ask for a menu with the calories listed at many places. I believe in education. Nobody wants to be told what to do. With the right help and guidance some people can easily get back on track and be great role models for their kids. I have 2 women who have been told they will die before they are 50 if they don't change their lifestyle. SCARY STUFF. I also acknowledge the fact that I have a few clients that are overweight (one teetering on obese) over 50 and are in better shape strength, flexibility, and cardiovascular than some of my 20 year olds. Menopause screws with women's bodies too, and I understand that. What I don't understand is just flat out not caring about your health. I feel the same way about people who refuse to go to a doctor for any preventative care. That to me is crazy thinking.
By LoriCook
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 03:36 AM
I come back to my point that if someone is educated but still chooses to be obese then that is THEIR business. I feel great, am rarely sick, like my clothing and am happy. Now somewhere down the line I may have some health consequences but that will be my own problem to handle and I am perfectly willing to accept that. Being upset with an obese person because you "want more for them" doesn't make sense if they are perfectly happy. I have worked with many elderly obese people but no elderly long term anorexics and very few elderly drug addicts therefore I don't see that as being a very good comparison. I have a 103 year old overweight patient currently. I am not saying obesity is good for you, I just think the hazards are being overstated because we are prejudiced against fat people.
In another country where being plump is a desired trait they would be shocked by this conversation.
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:02 AM
In another country where being plump is a desired trait they would be shocked by this conversation.

Where is that?

I come back to my point that if someone is educated but still chooses to be obese then that is THEIR business.

Well their doctor doesn't think it is just THEIR business. Does a doctor tell an obese person, "Well as long as you are happy I've done my job!" No because that would be medically irresponsible. It isn't all about you when your decisions affect your family and your children. When you can no longer fly on a plane, sit in a seat to watch the ballet, or go on a hike that will affect your children's life. That affects everyone around you. Eventually some people become immobile. Now they have to rely on someone else for a ton of things. It isn't just their business when people are making choices like that. It's selfish.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:58 AM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2012-02-19 12:06:18
I don't want to get into the majority of this debate, but I just want to bring up the whole Diabetes+ Obesity thing.

My "cause" for the year is "Preventing type 2 Diabetes". I have been talking to a bunch of Physicians, Biochemists, Pathologists etc to try and get information about Type 2 Diabetes. I can't quote exact percentages on how obesity itself plays a role in type 2 diabetes, but from what I learned about talking to these people it plays a role. It isn't the "only thing" of course, but from what I gather, Type 2 diabetes can be largely prevented by a specific diet.

I would like to point out, that a person doesn't have to "look" obese to actually be considered obese in specific circumstances. You can have a very "skinny" person still be considered medically obese when it comes to research on Diabetes.

I was talking to a Pathologist at my Bf's work and they put it in a easy nutshell format for me. They were saying that when they cut into a body, they can see the formation of fat inside the body. A skinny person can have quite unhealthy levels of fat built up around their insides. They said that a obese person is unhealthy in their medical opinion, but it doesn't always mean that skinny people are automatically healthy.

They also pointed out that a slight overweight ( I am talking about 10 lbs over the ideal weight not 100 lbs) person who works out 5 times a week is probably healthier then the naturally thin person who eats muffins all day and doesn't work out at all. The skinny muffin eater may actually have more fat on their insides then the slight physically overweight person.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that even if you are "naturally" thin you may have just as much fat in the inside as an overweight person. I think everyone can benefit from cardio workouts, healthy eating, and trying to avoid junk food. I don't understand the resistance to trying to get healthier in general. As Panic pointed out, being obese can be an ED of some sort. If this is the case, I don't think there should be a movement accepting that fact. Just like there shouldn't be a movement praising and accepting anorexia. ( I think they have those skinny inspiration websites, but I am talking about an actual movement). I am not just referring to the links posted about the movement, but of people's attitudes towards obesity in general.

diabetes.webmd.com . . .
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 01:31 PM
Here is a list of countries that considers heavier people, especially women, a desired trait. Fascinating.

www.toptenz.net . . .
By Celebrianmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 05:49 PM
Edited by Celebrian (127245) on 2012-02-19 17:53:49
Edited by Celebrian (127245) on 2012-02-19 17:55:06 88888!
So it isn't okay to say you don't like -insert race here- people because some of them are this or that or said/did something negative to you. But it's acceptable to dislike fat people because some fat people called you a skinny b? You do realize you're painting all fat people with a negative brush, YumYum, because a few were mean to you, right?

I have lost weight. I'm still losing weight. I don't appreciate hearing that I should hate myself until I'm at an accetable weight. I don't. My body is beautiful. When I strip down to my skivvies I don't shudder in horror. I walked that road at one point. It is NOT healthy. I would rather be positive and love myself no matter what. I was beautiful 3 plus years ago when I had 20 something extra pounds on me. I'm beautiful now though I'm still working to get off another 25 pounds.

I will never be a size 5. Furthermore I never want to be a size 5. I don't think I personally would look good below a size 7. I've been there. I did not look good! I looked my best at a size 8. That is the smallest I am willing to go. If someone else wants to be a size 5 that is fine for them! I have never and would never call someone signifigantly smaller than me a bad name even though thinner ladies did say rude things to me about my weight when I was heavier.

For the record according to the bmi charts I just came out of the 'obese' category. At a size 8 the weight I'll be will still be considered overweight according to the charts. How is a woman at a size 8 who works out and counts calories still overweight? That's why I've decided I want nothing to do with the whole bmi thing. It isn't realistic.
By dust2dustmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 06:06 PM
^ See, you're playing the victim here. If you read the debate, you'll notice that 'I don't like this movement just because they're big fatties' doesn't really play a part here. I'm against this movement because (as I stated before) it promotes unhealthy habits and denial. Flailing around like some wounded damsel is not helping your cause.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 06:42 PM
^^ Exactly!

Image hotlink - 'http://winnowingfork.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/strawman-motivational.jpg?w=360&h=450'
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 06:56 PM
Edited by Celebrian (127245) on 2012-02-19 19:02:15
Edited by Celebrian (127245) on 2012-02-19 19:07:16
Victim? I LOVE myself. How does that make me a victim? If anything I am stressing the point that it is not okay to tar an entire group because of the actions or words of a few.

Furthermore my first paragraph was addressed at YumYum. Not you.

If you read my words as being the words of a damsel, ha! I know what I am and what I am not and my POINT is I, not some movement, not some bmi chart, policies of insurance companies or someone esle's definition, I Make My Reality. And just because others think a certain way about me, I do not. A damsel BEGS for help, approval, acceptance. That's supposed to be me because of what? Victim? I question what exactly you got from my post because I have re read it and there ain't no victim there.

Because if all you got out of my post were the words 'damsel' and 'victim', I seriously wonder what in the Force are you talking about? What just because I mentioned thinner girls said stuff to me in the past? Did I say I went home and cried? That I begged to be loved by them? I sure as heck DID NOT. When you love yourself you keep on walking. I also did not go around after that calling them 'skinny bs' and things of that nature. That was my point. I could have perpetuated the nasty and I did not.

Damsel my arse. I shouldn't be surprised you didn't get the point of my post though. You don't even know how to spell the word 'gospel'.

And Heart? Was I supposed to be offended? Nice try.

Opinions were asked for and I gave mine. Have a problem with it? Ho hum.
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 07:38 PM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2012-02-19 19:44:50
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2012-02-19 19:47:00
Celebrain thats why I said " some" fat women. I was just responding to Odessa's question of " I am looking for more visceral reasons."

I have already mentioned that there are probably women out there that aren't catty towards skinny women. I just personally never met an overweight person that didn't give skinny women a double standard. This is really a personal thing, and I don't think they were being mean to me. It was just a mere observation that there is a double standard that most people aren't willing to accept.
( Shock alert. Skinny women face discrimination just as fat women do)

If you tell an overweight person " Go on honey, get your fat *** home and eat some pizza!" all **** breaks loose. If you tell a skinny person " Go on honey, get your skinny *** home and eat your salad" it isn't such a big deal. Just because someone is skinny doesn't mean comments hurt less to them just because they are skinny.
How do you think I feel as a size 2 when a women says something like " I would never want to be a size 2, thats gross and unrealistic". If I ever said " Ewww I would never want to be a size 16, thats gross!" The comment on my size seems to be somewhat more acceptable.
Why the freaking double standard?

Of course I am not saying that fat women are bad people, that I hate them, or they aren't worthy of being real women or anything like that. I was just telling Odessa what I have personally experienced and seen in terms of prejudice on the "other" side of the fence.
I am saying that I have experienced rude comments about my body just for being in good shape. Those all came from overweight women who were probably bitter, THAT is what I meant by bitter attitudes they bring to my personal life.

OF COURSE there are overweight women out there who aren't catty,who love their body, who are super nice to everyone, and they don't give skinny women a sideways glance for eating carrots and tuna fish for lunch.

On Sun Feb 19, 2012 07:55 PM
Edited by d4j (104724) on 2012-02-19 19:57:25 grammar
Edited by d4j (104724) on 2012-02-19 20:06:07
YYD, if you have been on the receiving end of comments based on your size then that should make you more sensitive to the plight of ALL people who are judged on how they look.

Do we really need to boil everything down to money? Don't get in the car, take the drink, smoke the cig, eat the donut, the soda, etc., because all these things involve health risks that could affect ME and my pocketbook. Can we not accept that ALL of us live our lives with a mix of good and poor decisions and you really CAN'T tell someone's situation by their looks? And even if obesity costs everyone tons of dollars, isn't that the price of acceptance of others? Aren't we supposed to treat people, even supposedly selfish people, the way we would want to be treated? I would never want to deny someone expensive medical care even if they caused their problems themselves. Have you ever seen that show My 600-lb Life? Those people need help, they aren't 'selfish'. And I KNOW that when you see an obese person that you can't tell the difference between these supposedly 'selfish' ones and those who need help.
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 07:55 PM
YumYum, I'm not even angry at you personally. I just think people need to address stuff to the direct recipients and then let stuff go. Some fat chick comments on your lunch? Tell her mind her business. Then you can let it go after that because you said your piece directly to the person.
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 08:07 PM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2012-02-19 20:10:09
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2012-02-19 20:12:23
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2012-02-19 20:14:50
D4J When did I ever say I make derogatory comments to fat people? I have NEVER made a snarky comment to a fat person or gave them an eye roll for eating certain things. I DO understand that fat women do face discrimination and I am just pointing out that thin women also face discrimination based on their body weight. I am not painting everyone by the same brush, and it isn't that I dislike fat women or anything like that. I was just giving you guys an example of some things that were said to me, so you guys would be able to relate a bit more.

I did let things go, but even you have to admit that someone commenting on my tuna lunch is "less bad" because I am skinny.
If I ever told a fat women " Dude, why the heck are you eating that 5000 calories pizza, you DON'T need that extra weight" would you just tell them to let it go? I bet they would be getting a lot more support from women for being attacked for their weight.
( I am betting the fat person getting picked on for her food is going to get a lot more sympathy and understanding then the skinny person will get from society)

I am pointing out that the whole "fat acceptance" thing is doing a favor for fat people, but by the same token some of what they are saying is insulting to skinner women. Why do people need to rag on others to make themselves feel better about themselves? I know that people on DDN probably don't believe this, but some women say " Go girls, show off your curves, thats what men like!" ( or whatever other comment). What does that say about women who don't have the curves?

I think the fat movement people can be proud of their body without insinuating that another body type is the "enemy" or whatever.
"Another common division in the fat acceptance community is the differing attitudes towards general society, specifically thin people. The fat acceptance community generally divides into two categories. One is those who feel discrimination towards thin people hinders their cause. The other side views thin people as the enemy, or the partial cause of their social stigma; some cater to this group with mockery of thin people" ( Wikipedia)

HAES isn't so bad. At least they say "Accepting and respecting the natural diversity of body sizes and shapes." They aren't insinuating that skinny people are "bad" or whatever.
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 08:29 PM
Edited by YumYumDoughnut (99333) on 2012-02-19 20:32:55 spelling
I just thought of a perfect example to demonstrate the double standard.

Imagine that two women are on stage giving speeches about body image.

Woman 1 ( 250 lbs Very Overweight) " I am confident in my body, I have real curves that men love, I don't need to be some skinny stick that breaks easily, and I am beautiful!"

Woman 2 ( 100 lbs Victoria Secret Model) " I am confident in my body, I have the body of a swimsuit model. I don't need to be some cow on the cover of Animal Planet and I am sexy!"

I imagine the first woman would probably be labelled as confident, nodding exchanged from other women, relatable, go getter,etc.

I bet the second women would be labelled as a *itch, arrogant,bigot, prejudiced, show off.

Both of the women's comments are name calling ( stick, cow) but are saying they are confident with their body, and both are mentioning positives of their own body ( real curves, and swimsuit model). In my eyes, both women are saying the exact same thing. I just think that society would much rather accept a overweight women comfortable in her own skin, then a model who is comfortable being attractive.

I hope this better explains what I am trying to get across.

I can already imagine the drama that will go down if hot skinny chicks started a "Skinny movement". They would probably be labelled as prejudices or a bigot group.
Page:
Page 3 of 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

ReplySendWatch