Priority Champs & Intermediate

Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Health & Nutrition
severely anemic en>fr fr>en
By live2danceemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 371, member since Tue Jul 31, 2007
On Thu Feb 16, 2012 01:41 PM

So I have severe iron deficiency anemia, as well as diabetes. I take Iron pills 3 times a day. But, I feel like it isn't making things any better for me. I have been taking Iron since my endocrinologist diagnosed me with anemia 2 years ago. I go back every 6 months to see him, and he has said that while I am still severely anemic, it is progressively getting better.

The thing is, however, I feel a whole lot worse. I am constantly tired, and constantly FREEZING. Also, I have a habit of eating ice. It sounds weird... but I crave ice. I did some research, and what do you know... eating ice is a sign of iron deficiency anemia. And that too has gotten a lot worse within the past month or so. I saw my endocrinologist about 2 months ago and he again said the anemia was improving. But I really feel so much worse.

I guess there really isn't a point to this post other that to maybe ask ... is there some other kind of doctor I could/should see for this? I am so incredibly miserable.

Thank you.

6 Replies to severely anemic

re: severely anemic en>fr fr>en
By Melpomene Comments: 1214, member since Sun Jan 30, 2011
On Thu Feb 16, 2012 08:32 PM
How is your diet? Do you feel like you are eating sufficiently?

I tend to have anemia myself on occasion (Particlarly in the winter, and if I'm not careful)

One big thing to do is to eat well, and one of those things is steak.

If you are able to, have yourself some beef at least a couple times a week. It's what I would do, cook myself a small piece of steak everyday until I felt better.

If not that, there is lentels, salmon, eggs, nuts, veggies, bananas, etc it's really important to have good meals and foods. While iron pills are useful, you *cannot* depend solely on them to help, it would defeat the purpose. High iron, high protein, high on the B's in the foods are important.

Additionally, make sure you get enough sunlight (Cooping yourself up in a home without going outside days on end won't help either)

If you are already aware of all of this, feel free to ignore my babble - talk to a professional about the problem if it genuinely worries you. A dietitian, a family doctor or a hematologist (A doctor who specializes in blood diseases).

Best of luck! I hope you feel better soon.
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Sat Feb 18, 2012 01:19 PM
I would get a second opinion. I'm not sure what type of doctor would be best, but it sounds like things are not going well so you need some more help.

I can commiserate with you though. I was diagnosed with iron deficient anemia awhile back and I would crave ice like none other! It was the weirdest thing! I was also very lethargic and as for being cold, I've always been one to be cold all the time so I don't really know...thankfully taking iron has helped me, but there's got to be a solution for you as well.
re: severely anemic (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16209, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sat Feb 18, 2012 01:26 PM
I would recommend another doctor. If you aren't feeling better yet, there has to be someone out there that can make you feel better. It is a concern because most any kind of cancer triggers anemia. (PLEASE DON'T FREAK OUT!!) I'm not saying that is what you have, but it is an issue before people are diagnosed so you want to rule that out with blood work and another doctor who might look at something else.

Anemia is a tough demon to fight. Oddly one of my clients got huge help with acupuncture and a naturopathic remedies. I am not saying you need to give up Western medicine, but adding some Eastern medicine might not be a bad plan if you are open to it.
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 2809, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Sat Feb 18, 2012 01:42 PM
imadanseur wrote:

Oddly one of my clients got huge help with acupuncture and a naturopathic remedies. I am not saying you need to give up Western medicine, but adding some Eastern medicine might not be a bad plan if you are open to it.

Yes!

Also, your posts show that you are a student and a dance teacher or choreographer carrying a very heavy load. Does this anemia become worse under stress?

Another thing to consider: Are you under any institutional food program, or are your food sources limited? The only two times I got anemia were under dorm food.
By live2danceemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 371, member since Tue Jul 31, 2007
On Sat Feb 18, 2012 06:13 PM
Thanks everyone !! I really appreciate your replies.

I have an appointment with a hematologist on March 12. As far as diet goes, I eat pretty well. I am also an insulin dependent diabetic and I have celiac disease. So I eat a LOT of steak and chicken and vegetables.

I haven't really been as stressed as usual lately. We have a break this week at the studio, so I have a whole week off to get caught up. I just hope I feel up to it.

I am miserable. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this soon.

Thank you all again.
By Tansey Comments: 2218, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:28 PM
It's been many years since I was severely anemic, but at that time my doctor told me that iron was more readily absorbed from food than from supplements. He told me to eat either spinach or liver every day. Since there was no way I was going to eat liver, I had either steamed spinach or a spinach salad every day for months. It worked, and I've never been anemic again.

ReplySendWatch