Forum: Competitions

Class Schedules
By emickola03
On Thu Feb 16, 2012 07:52 PM

What is your guys class schedule like for your competitive kids? Also please state if your more of a recreational studio or not. Thank you!!!

12 Replies to Class Schedules

re: Class Schedules
By mherman0411
On Tue Mar 20, 2012 09:43 PM
I teach at a recreational studio and the classes strictly for competition goes as follows:
45 min jazz/45 min lyrical/45 minute technique:) However, all our competitors take other classes as well for recital.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:38 PM
Edited by Theresa (28613) on 2012-03-20 22:40:38
In almost all of our competition dances, the competition kids have 1 hour of class for that dance, and then one hour of technique for that same discipline.

Exceptions being the 5 to 6 year old team (on account of 1 hour being alot for 5 year olds, much less two), the 7-10 year old team (they do 30 minutes of technique in jazz - their competition dance - and 30 minutes of technique in ballet), hip-hop, modern and lyrical (no technique classes for those). Even our pom teams do an hour of tech every week.

So for example, if someone did pom, jazz production, tap production and hip-hop production, they'd do two hours of pom (one dedicated to technique, one to the dance), two hours of jazz (same), tap (same), and one hour of hip-hop.

Solos and duos do not also have to take technique, but do have the option available to them.
By loverofballet
On Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:33 AM
I like studios who separate their dance technique classes from a choreography class. Each class is 1 hour in length. And also with the rule that all competition dancers must take ballet. Most of them excluded hip-hop, musical theater/song and dance and some also excluded tap from this rule. The studios I have worked for had a minimum of 2 ballet classes per week for junior competitive students and 3 or more classes for Intermediate/advanced dancers.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:42 AM
One of the studios I work for is going to start a comp team. I'm thinking require ballet and jazz (each are an hour) plus company class (rehearsal). Other dance styles will be optional, but encouraged.
By DancerTonitePremium member
On Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:40 AM
Our best team (ages 14-18) is required to take at least 2 ballet classes (for a total of 3 hours), 2 jazz classes (for a total of 3 hours), 1 lyrical class (1 hour), 1 tap class (1 hour), and 1 modern class (1 hour). So minimum 9 hours.

Optional add-ons are pointe (1 hour), acro (1 hour), hip hop (1 hour), additional jazz or ballet classes, etc.

Our average senior dancer takes about 15 - 18 hours of dance a week. Team dancers are usually in the studio at least 3 - 4 days a week.

We are in the Northern US - and even with all of this effort, we still find it difficult to compete with any studio out of Canada - due to the fact that it is part of their school curriculum I believe. So those girls dance between 20 - 35 hours a week I've heard. We do very very well against our local competitors though.

If you want to do a solo, you must take at least 10 hours a week.

Our youngest team (ages 8-11) have slightly lower requirements - only requiring 5 hours a week mandatory.

We are a split studio - with about 40% recreational dancers and 60% competition. Our average rec dancer takes between 1 - 3 hours a week, and doesn't always take ballet.
By mm_dancer
On Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:13 PM
DancerTonite wrote:

We are in the Northern US - and even with all of this effort, we still find it difficult to compete with any studio out of Canada - due to the fact that it is part of their school curriculum I believe. So those girls dance between 20 - 35 hours a week I've heard. We do very very well against our local competitors though.

We are in Canada and I've never heard of it being part of school curriculum to take dance.
Our team members are required to take ballet (hiphop and MT excluded) younger classes are 45min, older classes are 1 hour.
Their rehearsal time for their routine is 30mins, and they are required to take an exam class in the same discipline (very youngest at 30mins, next at 45mins and oldest kids at 1 hour). There are optional 30min stretch classes and pointe class, as well as a jumps and turns class (mini/jrs 45mins, rest 1 hour). Hiphop are 5-8 30mins, the rest are 45mins.
Students who do solos/duets/trios/small groups (groups formed themselves) are required to take an additional ballet technique class (not exam driven) (again excludes hiphop and MT)
Their solos/duets/trios/sm groups are choreoed in the summer and they get 30min rehearsal every other week.
I would say we have more of a recreational comp team tho.
Students are not required to do any number of disciplines either, if a student just wanted to do their ballet group, they would be required to take the 30min comp ballet group and then their corresponding exam level class (45mins or 1 hour)
Then it ranges to students who compete in all disciplines and therefore take many hours of class
By DancerTonitePremium member
On Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:27 PM
I am interested in the whole Canada thing...only because we have had Canadian studios tell us that its part of their weekly school. And they train for so many hours that their technique is close to perfect... Maybe it was just a regional thing or just that particular city?
By loverofballet
On Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:59 PM
In the larger centers in Canada, some dance studios run day programs for students where they earn credits for school. This is only for students taking exams in ballet, jazz or tap. A studio 1 hour away from me is doing this. The students take dance in the afternoons after their lunch break at school. They receive 1 credit as a P.E. class and if they take a dance exam that year, they receive another credit for that towards their graduation.

The above only applies to major exam work for high school students. Some areas also have day programs for students in intermediate (Junior High) as well.
By missingcharmin
On Thu Mar 22, 2012 07:03 AM
Our senior co. students take at least 2 ballet, 1 jazz, 1 contemp technique. Tap and hip hop are optional. We have separate rehearsals for dances.

Juniors 9-13 take 2 ballet (1.5 hours) 1 jazz at least.

Minis 9 and under only take 1 ballet and 1 jazz class.

I feel like we could do Better in comps but other studios we are against don't do technique, so I don't understand. I just have to keep reminding myself that we are training the dancers for their future not just a trophy.
By loverofballet
On Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:22 AM
It is also really about the quality of classes not the quantity. I worked for this studio for 1 year. The upper level students were doing 4-5 ballet class per week. They were not quality classes and these students had very poor basic fundamentals. The 5 classes per week were just ingraining poor technique.
By missliz404
On Thu Mar 22, 2012 06:32 PM
^ That's very interesting. I've never specifically heard of students being quite that misled. That's just too bad.

I am the director of our studio's Showteam, which is the semi-competitive team that focuses more on community performances and only does two competitions per year. There is a mini group (7-9) and Elite group (10-12). All of these girls are required to do 3 hours a week - one ballet class, one jazz class, and one rehearsal. I strongly urge them all to do a turns, jumps and condition class also. The studio's competitive teams are required to do between 6-8 hours a week, depending on level. This is aside from tap, pointe, and hip hop.
By emickola03
On Sat Mar 24, 2012 04:37 PM
I wish my studio would do separate technique classes and rehearsal classes. Right now they are required to do 1 hr ballet 1 hr jazz 1 hr tap and 1 hr conditioning rehearsal time and technique has to be done in that hour. I teach the ballet and they compete ballet and I hate having to split the one hour with technique and rehearsal. I would much rather spend the whole hour on technique. The owner (mostly teaches tap) always starts teaching her dances at the very beginning of the year and I always try to use the beginning of the year to focus on technique. I hate when the students start complaining about when we are going to start their dance. I always tell them that I would much rather teach them how to dance than teach them how to do a single dance.

ReplySendWatch