Priority Slow Dance

Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Health & Nutrition
Buying a new kettle bell - opinions? en>fr fr>en
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 33928, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Thu Feb 16, 2012 09:43 PM

I bought a seven pound kettle bell six months or so ago. Well now I've been working out, and the seven pounder is getting pretty easy to throw around, so I find myself in the market for a new kettle bell. Which aren't cheap - the one I'm eyeing is $35 USD. So this is enough money that you gotta think about it for a second before you just go throwing it around...

Now, my options;

1)Buy the next weight up, which is 10 pounds. Take the risk that in another six months the 10 pounder will be too easy, and I'll be in the market for yet another new kettle bell. (Space for storage isn't a problem at this point, but if I'm adding in $40 worth of awkwardly shaped workout equipment every six months, space, budget, and my husbands patience for having to buy new workout equipment are all going to become a concern, sooner rather than later...)

2)Buy two weights up, which is 15 pounds. Cope with the fact that that's gonna be hard to fling around at first, but that the investment will ultimately last me longer.

Thoughts? I can see merit to going either way. I suppose the thing that's putting me off the second one is that a 15 pound kettle bell is kind of intimidating. :O

4 Replies to Buying a new kettle bell - opinions?

re: Buying a new kettle bell - opinions? en>fr fr>en
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16225, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Thu Feb 16, 2012 09:56 PM
What exercises are you doing with them primarily? If it is kettlebell swings and rows go for the 15. In my bootcamp we START KB swings with 18 pounders. The only person in my camp that uses a 15 is my lady who is 65 years old. My small group of 50 and up use a 26. Your legs should be powerful enough to power that swing. If you are feeling it in your arms and lower back your technique might be wrong.

There isn't a 2nd hand fitness store around you? I get all my KB's second hand and fitness resale stores here in Phoenix. WAAAAYYYY cheaper. They are generally a little over $1.00 a pound.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 33928, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Fri Feb 17, 2012 07:22 AM
None of the secondhand stores around here had kettlebells last time I checked around. :/

I've got a couple of kettlebell videos, so it's all pretty standard stuff, I'd imagine. I started with the seven pounder because when I got it, I'd never done kb before, and seven seemed like enough of a step up from my standard hand weights that I normally use, that it seemed like a good challenge. Except now I've gotten stronger, so it's easy, lol...
By slice Comments: 1167, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Fri Feb 17, 2012 07:43 AM
imadanseur wrote:

What exercises are you doing with them primarily? If it is kettlebell swings and rows go for the 15. In my bootcamp we START KB swings with 18 pounders. The only person in my camp that uses a 15 is my lady who is 65 years old. My small group of 50 and up use a 26. Your legs should be powerful enough to power that swing. If you are feeling it in your arms and lower back your technique might be wrong.

^Exactly this. I've done mimic kettleball swings with a dumbbell and one of the first problems I encountered was trying to muscle it up with my shoulders/back. But the power should come from your legs.

Go with the 15 for sure. The 7 is probably so light that you can use your arms to move it, but the 15 is probably more where you should be at once you fix form.
By Munkensteinmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14368, member since Mon Aug 11, 2003
On Fri Feb 17, 2012 08:32 AM
Not sure if you have a preference in the material of the kettle bell, like rubber coated metal versus plastic or whatever, but I got a set of three for about that price on Amazon. I think it came with seven, ten, and fifteen pound ones. Due to "ceiling height versus me being a giant" issues in our current rental I haven't gotten to use them much yet but they'll be better tested after we move. :)

ReplySendWatch