Popular Highland

List of Cowal Winners over the years by McJagger
Hi I'm sure I once saw that someone posted a list of the winners at Cowal for at least the last 40 years. Does anyone have a link to that? Thanks and good luck to all the dancers at Cowal!

Forum: Advice / Health & Nutrition

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Health & Nutrition
Multi-vitamins? en>fr fr>en
By Ballerina365 Comments: 64, member since Fri Jan 28, 2011
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 06:57 AM

I think I may need some kind of vitamin supplement and am wondering if anyone has any experience in taking vitamins. I took them as a child but that was about it.

Basically I'm normal height and weight (I know nobody likes height and weight posts but I felt it was relevant to include it here.) I work two jobs,take 10 dance classes a week (cutting them down is not an option) and I am a very picky eater.

For example I don't like any fruit, I hate most vegetables and I can't eat anything where you can taste nuts or anything with bits in.

So basically as of late I've been feeling more and more tired no matter how long or how little I sleep. Within half hour of waking up I'm tired again. My muscles ache for a good few days after I dance.

At I guess I'd say I'm lacking in iron (I took iron water for a while but couldn't stand the taste despite the difference it made) protein and whatever vitamins and minerals you normally get from fruit and vegetables.

So would it be better to take seperate vitamins or a multi-vitamin? Do they actually make much of a difference to your lifestyle?

Hope that all made sense!

Thanks
Ballerina365

30 Replies to Multi-vitamins?

re: Multi-vitamins? en>fr fr>en
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17049, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 07:16 AM
Perhaps you need to put more effort into liking foods that are healthy for you. It's just not enough to say "I don't like them, so there". You're doing yourself a disservice. You can acquire a taste for things very easily - you don't have to be born liking things, you can train yourself to do it. I never used to be able to touch things like melon (any kind), bananas, prawns, olives...I've acquired a taste for all these things. It doesn't always work - I still can't stand cucumber and I don't even see the point in it existing - but you should still try.

What DO you like? Do you like tomato sauces on pasta etc? Why not grate a carrot into the sauce or chop up peppers very small to add to the sauce? It won't alter the taste much but you've eaten three portions instead of one. Do you like oranges? Try grapefruit with a bit of sugar on, or served with a bit of orange juice on top. Try similar things to the things you already like. If you like peas, try green beans or sweetcorn. If you can tolerate bananas and strawberries, make a smoothie and add a peach or something.

Just try little pieces here and then, hide them in other food that you do like...don't just give up on it. I have a Berocca every now and then, usually if I have a slight hangover, but your body doesn't hold on to vitamins it doesn't need and you end up peeing them all out. You might not end up loving every fruit and vegetable under the sun, but if you can build up a tolerance to certain things is that really such a bad thing?
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 07:25 AM
I do try new foods but when I can't tolerate the taste or smell of something I struggle not to be sick. For example I once tried salmon and was nearly sick. Fruit is harder, I like the smell of oranges but it's the texture I can't stand. I try different fruits every now and then but still dislike them immensely.

Unfortunately I don't like pasta or tomato's. I can eat vegetable soup but never homemade. I'll keep trying though and maybe as you have done learn to like a greater variety of foods that will help :)

Thanks for your helpful post!
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17049, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 07:34 AM
That's why I say try little pieces and disguise it where possible. I'd never suggest sitting down and forcing yourself to eat a whole apple or a huge bowl of salad all in one go. That's just setting yourself up for failure. What you could do, is add small amounts of different things to your normal meals. It's hard to give examples without knowing exactly what you won't eat but let's say you're eating a chicken breast and some rice. You could put a tablespoon sized amount of peas on the side, and put them on your fork with some of the chicken and rice. So you've eaten a small amount of a vegetable, you've started to build up a tolerance, but you haven't freaked yourself out. Or your vegetable soup - you could add some other vegetables to that while it's cooking so that at least you're getting something fresh in there.

I totally understand the texture thing as that was the whole reason I didn't like bananas. I could eat banana flavoured things or even dried banana chips, but not the actual fresh fruit itself. Fruit is easier to overcome texture-wise as you can blast different types together with yoghurt or even ice-cream and make a smoothie.

Dried fruits also count as a portion, although the sugar content is a bit higher than fresh fruit. Back in the day you only really used to be able to get raisins or glace cherries, but these days you can get dried mango, pineapple, strawberry, cranberry, apple, papaya...everything. They're really chewy and taste different to the actual fresh fruits - that might be another thing you could try.
By HardestWorker Comments: 1074, member since Sun Apr 25, 2004
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 07:49 AM
Hi,
I understand your pain...I'm a terribly picky eater too and have digestive problems where I medically can't eat some foods as well. I won't tell you to try harder because although in a perfect world, it's best to get your nutrients from foods and not vitamins, but sometimes that's not possible. If you can't get them through foods, vitamins are definitely a good idea.

To answer your question, I'd say for now to just take a multivitamin. It can't hurt. Then I'd go to the dr and get some bloodwork or tests done to see if you have any vitamin deficiencies. Then if they say you do, you can take those vitamins specifically. If you can't get the vitamins you need through food, you should take vitamins.
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4376, member since Fri Apr 11, 2003
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 08:15 AM
If you have a weak stomach, I would recommend taking a children's multi-vitamin. My stomach is pretty sensitive and every adult women's vitamin I tried made it upset. No matter if I took it with or without food, every adult version I tried was a problem. I now take kids gummy vitamins with no problems.
re: Multi-vitamins? (karma: 3)  en>fr fr>en
By imadanseurPremium member Comments: 16203, member since Thu Dec 04, 2003
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 09:39 AM
There are lots of opinions out there on what to take, if liquid vitamins are better etc. I'll give you my opinion and options that I give my fitness clients.

Multi-vitamins are good for everyone because in general people don't eat enough vegetables and fruits. You will not get everything you need if you aren't eating a well balanced diet. I have tips but I'll address that later.

If you do a multi-vitamin in a pill form go for quality. The cheapest ones you get at the grocery store are mass produced, don't use the best ingredients and the ingredients then use to bind the ingredients are also cheap and you'll absorb around 20% of the ingredients. Go to a health food store and ask them for their advice. Dr. Oz recommends cutting it in half and taking one half in the morning the other half at night which helps stabilize the dosage. He recommends Super Trio. If you don't like pills I encourage a liquid form. I think the absorption rates are better and usually the ingredients are treated better. Dr. Oz suggests Vita Wave which is a Nature's Sunshine Products. I haven't used either of those products, but its a good option if you want to shop online. I use Veema and I personally like liquid vitamins far more than any pill/capsule form.

Want to sneak veggies into things you will eat? It takes a little time but once you get the hang of it, it is easy!! Boiling the vegetables, put them in the blender and puree them, then strain again. Want to make it even more simple? Buy small, single-vegetable baby food jars, such as spinach, beets, green beans, squash, broccoli, carrots, sweet potatoes, peas, etc. Then covertly slip them into a number of places:

- Mix beets or carrots with pasta or pizza sauce, then add a bit more spices. You won't be able to taste it.

- Blend just about any strained veggies with ketchup; it masks the smell and the taste well.

- Use food flavor injectors to add carrots or beets to bit-size pizza rolls or pocket sandwiches. A little dab here and there will do you.

- Mix butternut squash in with mashed potatoes. The color is light enough you will never know.

- Mix broccoli or peas into chop meat when making hamburgers. You can get half a jar into a hamburger, then bake it. With condiments, the flavor is virtually undetectable.

- Mix squash or sweet potatoes with apple sauce. Blend it well. The colors will be similar, and both vegetables are sweet enough not to sour the applesauce.

- Mix spinach or green beans with condiments, such as pickle relish and salsa.

- Don't exclude breakfast: slip some sweet potatoes, squash or carrots into their cheese omelets. Try a smoothie with various fruits and you can throw in protein powder for a little boost, bananas, blueberries etc. I have some great recipes if you want to pm me.

CAMOUFLAGE VEGETABLES:

- Mash some boiled cauliflower into the mashed potatoes.

- Shred some cabbage with lettuce for toppings on tacos or sandwiches

- Cut up some green beans or soft-boiled broccoli stems into small pieces, and mix into chunky salsa.

- Mix taco or burrito filling with finely grated carrots.

- Get recipes for zucchini muffins, carrot cake and pumpkin bread. Add some nuts and ice with cream cheese frosting, and they'll go as fast as cupcakes.

ADD JUICE:

- Pour vegetable juice in the fruit juice bottles. Carrot blends well with most, beet juice with berry juices, and some green juice can be slipped into yellow juices without too much noticeable discoloration.

- Use vegetable juices or broths in sauces where ever water, chicken or beef broth are called for in recipes.

- Inject vegetable juice inside meat with flavor injectors.

- Make your own ice cream and add vegetable juice to the cream mixture.

SWAP BRANDS:

Veggie burgers, veggie crumbles (similar to chop meat), veggie nuggets (similar to chicken), tofu dogs, and even meatless bacon, can be bought in most super market frozen food sections.

Start with small quantities, but you can gradually work up the vegetable content by a spoonful or two as their taste buds acclimate to the flavors.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 33905, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 03:18 PM
^butternut squash also works into mac and cheese really well. It makes it taste more creamy, that's about the only change you'll notice, flavor wise.
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 03:46 PM
^Problem is she said she doesn't like pasta.
By beccaboxmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 21, member since Sat Feb 11, 2012
On Sun Feb 19, 2012 06:16 PM
I would recommend a multi-vitamin. it is very difficult for your body to have too much vitamins as if you have more than you body requires, it just expells the excess. that being said vitamins are not a substitute for fruit and vegetables so even if you dont like them i think you need to find a way to have your 5+ a day. maybe find something that you like that contains the fruit/vegetables? like yoghurt or soup?
By BeautifulMistakemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2426, member since Tue Feb 20, 2007
On Mon Feb 20, 2012 01:51 PM
As a base you should definitely take multivitamin since you're not eating a lot of healthy foods, but overall you HAVE to find some way to get in fruits and vegetables. You can't just slap a bandaid over it with a multivitamin. You'll get the most benefit just from eating healthy overall.

What about smoothies? Blend them up really good then texture wouldn't be an issue.
By mandakp Comments: 566, member since Fri Aug 05, 2011
On Mon Feb 20, 2012 04:01 PM
Out of curiosity, what on earth DO you eat?? No fruit, no vegies, no pasta...jam sandwiches?

Honestly, I think you're going to have to suck it up and find a way to get some fresh fruit and vegies into your diet. You can't just take a multi-vitamin and say, well there you go, I'm healthy now!
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4038, member since Thu Nov 09, 2006
On Mon Feb 20, 2012 04:41 PM
What about fruit smoothies? I make mine with 1/3 cup yogurt, 1/2 cup no-fat milk or soy milk (which ever I happen to have in the house) and loads of fresh fruit (however much I can fit in the blender). I have used bananas, all kinds of berries, mango, pineapple. I bought a personal sized blender for 15 bucks at Zellars too. If you don't like liquid form you can freeze the fruit and then blend it and get a thick milkshake consistency.

I would also encourage you to try eating fruit and veggies a little a time. I HATED anything that tasted like a nut. I could not even eat peanut butter. I forced myself to eat them a little at a time though and now I eat nuts almost every day. Almonds are my favorite. Before, I would not even eat chocolate covered almonds and now I eat them plain.
On Tue Feb 21, 2012 02:03 PM
I actually do it jam sandwiches haha but only seedless raspberry jam. Just extra picky. My food list is pretty much limited to vegetable soup (Heinz) beans on toast, jam sandwiches and most things that involve chicken. I mean I eat brocolli and I'll pick at vegetables but I just don't like the taste.

I know you can't live off vitamins I was just wondering if they'd make a difference in the meantime. Someone told me they would :)

Might have to try smoothies that way I can blend out all the bits lol
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11510, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Tue Feb 21, 2012 04:03 PM
The jury is still out about whether vitamin supplements are good or not. A very recent study found that women who take multivitamins are at a MUCH higher risk of death than women who don't. healthland.time.com . . .

In any case, I'm going to repeat that vitamins are not a substitute for vegetables and whole grains. The healthiest diet is a varied diet.
By Ballet_Baibemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2546, member since Tue Feb 21, 2006
On Tue Feb 21, 2012 04:28 PM
Everyone is right you can't rely on vitamin tablets you really need to get some good stuff into your food, but you know that already I'm sure.

It does sound like you are probably a bit anaemic, do you eat other meat or just chicken? Red meats have the iron you need in along with green vegetables, as a veggie I generally take an iron supplement just in case. I don't know where in the world you are but in the UK you can buy multivitamins with iron so I would guess that's available most places, something along those lines would probably suit you.

If you are a little anaemic then your vitamin B12 levels may also be low, that's involved in the transport of oxygen around your body so id very important. Check the multivitamin contains vitamin b12, you only need a very small amount so I wouldn't suggest taking it separately but it is important and also comes from red meats.

There are so many vitamins I could tell you about that are really important and you should take them but a regular multivitamin will contain what you need. Don't be baffled by the millions of vitamins and minerals you can buy, a lot of it is quite interesting but you probably don't need a cinnamon or garlic supplement.

If your interested cinnamon can help regulate blood sugar level and garlic supposedly does loads of things and has anti-fungal properties but most importantly wards off vampires.

If you would like to know any more please ask, I did a degree in biological sciences and found the vitamin module fascinating.
By madseasonPremium member Comments: 1975, member since Wed Jan 04, 2006
On Tue Feb 21, 2012 04:35 PM
Edited by madseason (148702) on 2012-02-21 16:36:26
^ That is really interesting.
I remember in medical school learning that women over 60 who took multivitamins were at a higher risk for Alzheimers and dementia. The theory seemed to be that it was from excess copper in a lot of the supplements. The copper dosage is fine for a 30 year old, but not for a 60, 70 year old who has a harder time processing it. This was from a study done in the 90's I think. Also, a lot of older women would pop a vitamin and then skip eating real fruits and veggies and a multivitamin will not replace real food. Eating real veggies and fruit is always best of course.
On Wed Feb 22, 2012 05:37 AM
I can't stand red meats hence the lack of iron. Although I may sound slightly anemic I'm actually not. I'm actually quite healthy despite the lack of fruit and veg. The only thing that's ever come up on any tests is that my blood sugar levels are slightly low. Other than that nothing. I also agree that the above post is really interesting. Think I'll just skip the vitamins and maybe try some of those fruit smoothie things you can buy.

Thanks guys :)
By mandakp Comments: 566, member since Fri Aug 05, 2011
On Wed Feb 22, 2012 05:52 AM
try some of those fruit smoothie things you can buy.

No, try some of those fruit smoothie things you can MAKE FROM SCRATCH AT HOME.
On Wed Feb 22, 2012 07:50 AM
Edited by imadanseur (79325) on 2012-02-22 10:05:59 ..
I remember in medical school learning that women over 60 who took multivitamins were at a higher risk for Alzheimers and dementia. The theory seemed to be that it was from excess copper in a lot of the supplements. The copper dosage is fine for a 30 year old, but not for a 60, 70 year old who has a harder time processing it.

That is why it is important to get the right kind of multi-vitamin for your age and sex. If you get a multi-vitamin specifically for seniors it actually changes the dosage from a regular adult, and women's vitamins are much different than mens.

I'm actually quite healthy despite the lack of fruit and veg.

You are healthy right now. What you don't know are the long term effects of not eating these things. Fruits and vegetables contain soluble fiber which carry out excess fat, sugar, cholesterol etc. out of the system. When your body isn't doing that you are at a much higher risk for cancer, heart disease, stroke, and due to those toxic things being in your body it restricts blood flood which is now associated with certain disorders which affect the brain such as Alzheimers and dementia. No blood test is going to be be able to monitor these effects. I'd look at far more ways of incorporating fruits and veggies than just a smoothie.

Since you don't eat a healthy well balanced diet, I still think a multi-vitamin would be beneficial...but ask your doctor. I could find just as many studies to show the benefits especially in women that are lacking essential vitamins and minerals!
On Wed Feb 22, 2012 08:50 AM
No, try some of those fruit smoothie things you can MAKE FROM SCRATCH AT HOME.

Since the OP is struggling to eat anything fresh AT ALL, personally I think it's more important to just start getting her accustomed to the taste. Making her own stuff can come later - ingesting it is the important bit, regardless of who made it. Innocent smoothies are totally crap-free. Like I said earlier, take small steps. There's no use burdening yourself trying to make everything from scratch if you're not even sure you can bring yourself to try it, let alone finish it.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 33905, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Feb 22, 2012 09:14 AM
^I agree. Basically all she's said she'll willingly eat is chicken. When you go buying up fresh fruit, especially when you're buying fruit that isn't in season (which makes it more expensive), it can add up. When odds aren't on your side for you to even finish the thing, why bother spending the money?

OP, do you do soup? Because you can put all kind of stuff in a soup, and never know it's there.

I'm curious - it seems like you're almost bordering on phobia of food. Have you looked into help for that, perhaps?
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 7988, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Wed Feb 22, 2012 09:43 AM
Is it a taste or texture thing for you? I know you mentioned that you don't like the taste, but you also said you get seedless jam because you can't handle the seeds.

If the texture is the problem, maybe you need to look for fruits/vegetables that don't have weird texture. You probably will need to avoid kiwi, berries, oranges with the white part still around it etc.

You said you don't like any fruit, but have you tried all the fruit out there? Do you dislike the slimy fruits such as mango, the crunchiness of the apple, the softness of a peach? I personally like fruits, but I really dislike smoothies for some reason. I can't stand the lack of texture in my fruit. So I understand if it is a texture thing for you.

Do you like yogurt? You can maybe cut up the fruit super super super tiny and mix it in with the yogurt.

I don't have any advice on the vegetable side. I dislike the taste of vegetables too and I have to force myself to eat 6 servings a day. Have you ever tried vegetable Tempura? That is one way my mom used to make me eat vegetables. She would Tempura up some carrots, mushrooms, radish etc.
By madseasonPremium member Comments: 1975, member since Wed Jan 04, 2006
On Wed Feb 22, 2012 06:04 PM
Edited by madseason (148702) on 2012-02-22 18:08:28
Edited by madseason (148702) on 2012-02-22 18:13:39
Ballerina365 wrote:

I can't stand red meats hence the lack of iron.

Ok, this is why you need to learn more about diet and nutrition and work harder at expanding your diet. Iron does not just exist in red meat. Some of the BEST sources of iron are soybeans, lentils, eggs, tofu, spinach, sesame seeds... the list goes on. There are many ways to get iron without eating red meat.

At some point you are going to start having accelerated aging, bone loss and unhealthy hair and nails, be at risk for hemorrhoids from a lack of fiber, serious issues from a lack of antioxidants, fatigue from anemia, the list here is just endless. A vitamin will NOT fix these things. You need real, fresh fruits and vegetables and lots of them. This is actually a little silly.

-Grind up or juice carrots and asparagus to add to pasta sauce. You wont even taste them.
-Grind up leafy greens, mushrooms, carrots, onion, celery, squash, and zuchini and mix it in with my meatloaf or hamburger mix.
-Put fresh berries in muffins, on top of yogurt, pancakes, in smoothies or blended with milk or soy milk.
-Try Indian food, Ethiopian food, Thai food, Filipino food... lots of different kids of food will help to expand your palette and get you used to tasting different ways vegetables can be prepared.

Personally, I think it's important to JUST EAT THEM. How bad can carrot sticks and celery with peanut butter really be? You'll develop a taste for them with time and get used to them. I thought I loathed sweet potato for years. It used to make me gag. Then I tried baking it a few different ways, felt guilty tossing it and ate it even though I didn't really like it. Now, I love it! Sweet potato fries, yum! Try a new fruit or veggi every few weeks.

We all have to eat, do, tolerate things we don't like. I hate taking a shot every day but if I don't I can't be healthy. I still do it. Come on. Just eat them for your health!

Edit: Right after I posted that I thought "well, that was kind of insensitive" If that is the case, I am sorry. You do sound a bit like you may have an abnormal preoccupation with food taste and texture. See a doctor if this is the case. If not, please do try to eat in the manner that is best for your health not for your tastebuds. In the end, your health is what is most important.
By ballerinatwirler Comments: 2057, member since Sat May 29, 2004
On Wed Feb 22, 2012 07:06 PM
I was studying nutrition until recently but first I would go to the doctor and let them know what's going on. Maybe they can recommend a supplement beyond vitamins like Ensure or Pedisure.
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch