Forum: Arts / Pets

Generic Flea medications for cats?
By HardestWorker
On Wed Feb 22, 2012 04:39 AM

Hi everyone,
I have a 2 year old kitty that I just adopted last fall. I took her for a checkup when I got her and the vet gave me some (EXPENSIVE!) flea medication to give her once a month. It was over $100. I am wondering if there is any generic versions of flea medication and where to get it? I want to make sure she is taken care of but I am not willing to spend that much money!!!

5 Replies to Generic Flea medications for cats?

re: Generic Flea medications for cats?
By rosalinde
On Wed Feb 22, 2012 08:23 AM
I get mine at my local supermarket. It's 8 euros (so, about $10?)for three pipettes. On the package it says that each pipette (to be put in my cat's fur on his skin in his neck because he can't reach there) is good for three months, but because he's an outdoor cat, I give him one every month. Seems to work fine so far, I haven't seen a flea ever since I got him four years ago. I could give you the brand, but I doubt whether it would be available in the US.

But, yeah, supermarket stuff will probably do the business just fine. Or go to a pet store and ask for a good generic flea medication.
By highlandrebelmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:23 AM
What brand are you using now?

Be very, very careful about generic brands, there are hundreds of horror stories you can Google, about brands like Hartz.
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Feb 22, 2012 03:17 PM
The supermarket brands do not work. I learned the hard way. If you're trying to save money, it's better to use a supermarket flea dip instead of the once-a-month topical meds.
By HardestWorker
On Wed Feb 22, 2012 03:36 PM
Right now I am using Revolution, which I give my cat once a month on the fur behind her neck so she can't lick it. It seems to work fine.

Keep the info coming! Thank you guys.
By madseasonPremium member
On Wed Feb 22, 2012 04:05 PM
Have you looked on Amazon? They sell Frontline and Advantage on there, I found a 4 month supply of Advantage for something like $20. Yes, you have to pay shipping but you KNOW it will work and be safe for the kitty. I had a pet have an terrible reaction to a product I bought at petsmart because it was the cheapest option and I will never take that route again.

ReplySendWatch