Popular Owners

Don't want to do the normal nutcracker by Tutu1118
I want to do a Christmas show but Do not wan to do the nutcracker. I feel it is way over done. Anyone know of a modern nutcracker or story that can be an alternative?

Forum: Irish / Irish - Feiseanna

Irish - Feiseanna
Oh, no! So some of my competitions have less than 5 people? en>fr fr>en
By QueenOf_TheDance Comments: 597, member since Thu May 12, 2011
On Thu Feb 23, 2012 01:19 PM

I'm I novice u14 who is going to broesler feis on saturday. This is my first feis as a u14 and the competition sizes are a ton smaller than as it was as a u13. I got the stage schedule today (and for those who don't have it www.broesler.com . . . ) and my slip jig only has 4 people! So if I win, I won't be able to move up
:( . This has never happened to me in the southern region, so are there just fewer u14 novices in the mid-atlantic? I thought maybe they would merge competitions, but it's seems that they haven't, so now what? Will they merge on the day of the competition? This has happened to my sister before because she is a u17, but I though that this kind of thing wouldn't happen to a u14. Does this ever happen to anyone else?

11 Replies to Oh, no! So some of my competitions have less than 5 people?

re: Oh, no! So some of my competitions have less than 5 people? en>fr fr>en
By RinceorNosretep Comments: 996, member since Fri Oct 23, 2009
On Thu Feb 23, 2012 01:25 PM
This has happened to me at every feis I've been to so far, but then again I'm in the adult category. It's extremely frustrating for me; I'm wanting to move up so badly, and the only thing stopping me is lack of numbers which is the only thing I can't control. I'm in the Western US Region.
Hopefully this will be your only feis you have to deal with this at, and here's hoping the next age group will be small as well so they'll combine you. I wish you well!
By novicedancer1991member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1442, member since Fri Aug 28, 2009
On Thu Feb 23, 2012 01:37 PM
I'm sorry. :( That has happened to me lots of times in advanced beginner, and sometimes even in novice.

Look up feis results from last year and see if you can find any where your age had enough dancers. That'll give you an idea of which feises have a good chance of having enough dancers this year.
By Tansey Comments: 2223, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Thu Feb 23, 2012 01:49 PM
Perhaps you could email them and ask whether your group could be combined with either the U13s or the 14+ group. If you don't get a response you could always ask when you get there. It's a shame not to have it count for you. I hope something works out.
By Stepdancer Comments: 1779, member since Sun Oct 22, 2006
On Thu Feb 23, 2012 01:54 PM
Is it no longer possible to dance "up", as in moving up to a higher level than you've technically qualified for? This used to be allowed, the reasoning being that you were only hurting yourself if you moved up to a level you weren't ready for. In the pre-Riverdance days when ID numbers were so much smaller it was common to have less than 5 dancers in a comp in my area, so dancers frequently just tried the next level up. If it was clear they still weren't ready for that level, they could move back because they'd never officially qualified for it in the first place. (It was also not unusual to move yourself up from a level where you constantly had less than 5 dancers/comp to a higher level which suffered from the same thing.)
By RinceorNosretep Comments: 996, member since Fri Oct 23, 2009
On Thu Feb 23, 2012 03:29 PM
^ I think they have to be a bit stricter on that nowadays, just because there ARE generally more people dancing. With more people you get more politics, and "Suzy dancer might throw a fit if Julie dancer got moved up and Suzie didn't"...stuff like that. I agree though that you'd only be hurting yourself if you moved up before you were ready. I think it's still possible but at the teacher's discretion, you can't move yourself up.
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3114, member since Tue Apr 24, 2007
On Thu Feb 23, 2012 05:56 PM
RinceorNosretep- you need to road trip to CO. There's usually more dancers at our Adult feisanna. Next one is Faile Denver in April. It's a nice drive from SLC to CO, and the competition is in Loveland, so you don't even have to get all the way to Denver, if you come by the north route!
On Thu Feb 23, 2012 06:37 PM
Thanks for all the replies! I've never had this problem in the SR, so hopefully this will be the only time this will happen. On the bright side, I have a better chance of bringing home more medals even if it doesn't count :)
By byudawn Comments: 336, member since Wed Jun 30, 2010
On Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:27 PM
Edited by byudawn (224140) on 2012-02-23 23:29:50 spelling errors
I am always annoyed when there are fewer than 5 and they won't combine. I know it's still "practice" in front of judges, but the whole point is to try and move up, and if there's less than 5 then NO ONE moves up and I kind of feel like the money was "wasted" on that feis. (And with a husband's recent job change and money tight, every feis counts ;)

I know that in PC someone would be guaranteed to get a trophy, but I would just rather DD dance with older girls and have a "chance" than not at all. For example, last year at her very first PC feis, she was the ONLY girl in her age group, and I asked if they could please bump her up into the U12 age group against the other 6 girls. They said that she would get a huge first place trophy if she stayed as the only one in her real age group, and I was thinking: what's the point of getting a first place trophy when you're not even competing against anyone??? She still gets the judge practice, and it's not a lame-o "gift" trophy. JMHO. :)

Sorry, that turned into a rant! Now, though, there are definitely MORE than 5 girls in her age group---which makes it more fun and competitive, and placing means more :)
On Fri Feb 24, 2012 04:51 AM
Yeah, I can't stand wasting money for this competition that doesn't count....ugh. Oh well, and good luck to every one going!
By irishmamamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3032, member since Mon Oct 06, 2003
On Fri Feb 24, 2012 05:16 AM
Here is a perspective from a feis committee member. A feis does try to merge any comps with less than 5 generally. I am in MidAmerica, so I dont know the rules in your area, but when we merge comps, we try and do it early, soon after registration closes. Merging dancers on the day of the feis, unless there is just one, is a nightmare for tabulation, and a set up for error...so few feis do it. Maybe there is a reason they couldnt merge every group-but it is too bad to have dancers come from a long way and then have it not count. Of course, even with merges, lets say two age groups make 6, the feis cannot control if two no show and now you only have 4. Probably not much you can do at this late date, but you could contact the feis and ask, as it cant hurt to try.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17059, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Fri Feb 24, 2012 07:05 AM
When I competed as an u16 intermediate, there was only ever two of us in the competition. Thing is, it was always a different girl! If we'd all turned up on the same day there would have been about 7 of us. Anyway there used to be a rule that if you won a too-small competition a couple of times, your teacher could use their discretion to move you up. Dunno if it was an official rule or a school rule or a now-abolished rule though.

ReplySendWatch