Forum: General / Tap / Tap - Competitions

Tap - Competitions
Competition solo for 15 year old...upbeat with a musical theatre sound?!
By LottyC Comments: 2, member since Fri Feb 24, 2012
On Fri Feb 24, 2012 03:15 AM

Good morning from rainy England!

I've been asked to set a solo for one of the girls I teach. She's almost 16 years of age, slightly Hispanic looking and an advanced tapper. She wants something "upbeat" with a "musical theatre sound" so no pop/rock (her words) but I'm struggling to find something to suit her.
I've choreographed 2 duets and a trio out of the Singing In The Rain soundtrack so that's a no-go, I've looked at Thoroughly Modern Millie, 42nd Street, Sweet Charity, Anything Goes but I haven't found anything that fits her requirements without making her look immature. The other girls in her section are all dancing to either Michael Buble or fast swing tracks from Big Bad Voodoo Daddy/Atomic Fireballs so I want her to stand out but not because she looks childish!
If anyone has any ideas I'd be so grateful!

4 Replies to Competition solo for 15 year old...upbeat with a musical theatre sound?!

re: Competition solo for 15 year old...upbeat with a musical theatre sound?!
By TheCoachmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2532, member since Thu Sep 26, 2002
On Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:57 AM
If this helps. Look on youtube. And see if that helps. Or I could help you with this.

Coach
By Tapdanzer Comments: 437, member since Mon Aug 25, 2003
On Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:08 PM
I wouldn't normally do this style with this age, as you mentioned, it's hard to find something mature enough.

The only songs that came to mind are Linda Eder songs:
"Havana"
"It's No Secret Anymore"(slow beginning but can be edited out)
"One Bad Habit"
"Some People"

OR

"Cinema Italiano"- Kate Hudson

That's a tough one. Good luck!
By LottyC Comments: 2, member since Fri Feb 24, 2012
On Sun Mar 04, 2012 06:36 AM
Thank you so much for both your replies I really appreciate it! I started looking on youtube and Spotify so I'll see where I go from there. I like a few by Mel Torme and I'm currently working my way through Linda Eder's albums on Spotify so I've definitely got loads to work with. Thanks once again! I'll come back to you if i get stuck if that's okay!
By Hdance Comments: 19, member since Mon Feb 20, 2012
On Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:50 AM
queen latifa-live til I die, an amzing song that the audience loves!

ReplySendWatch