Forum: Irish / Irish - MAIDs

help needed with decison
By clickyheels
On Sat Feb 25, 2012 08:35 AM

Just been told that dd school is closing half of it lesson so she will only have 2 per week. Don't know whether to take advantage of free transfer or not what do people think !!!

9 Replies to help needed with decison

re: help needed with decison
By JenBlackerbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:24 AM
Coming from someone you just transferred: you need to figure out what's best for you and you DD. If she needs more classes than are offered then switch. If she loves her TC and academy so much and wouldn't like dance with another TC then don't switch. Its a really hard decision, especially if you and your DD are close to people. Think about it logically, make your decision and stick to it. It might be hard for awhile, but hurt feelings fade.

Some things I had to think about before making my decision:
-if you stay to be with friends, how long will those friends be there?
-are you making the choice between potentially progressing a little or a lot in dance?
-can you still be friends with your friends if you switch?
-Is there another academy to switch to that would meet your needs?
-since you have a free transfer, if you know you will end up switching someday maybe you should go ahead while its easier
-is there a major or favorite feises in the near future that would be difficult to attend with all new steps?
-does the potential new school have different rules you can't abide by? (attendance, wigs, dresses, tans, etc)

If you have another academy in mind you might see if you can meet with the TC privately to talk about it and see if you can observe a class to see if your DD will like it.

This is a very delicate situation, but you need to do what's best for you and your DD. If you have any questions feel free to PM me!! Good luck!
re: help needed with decison
By Rockyrobbie
On Sat Feb 25, 2012 04:34 PM
JenBlackerby What a sound advice! I think you've said it all.
re: help needed with decison
By Dancing_Mumma
On Mon Apr 02, 2012 02:05 AM
That is real sound advice, talk to TC other parents and check out new school, and go with your head not your heart
re: help needed with decison
By scrapola
On Mon May 14, 2012 10:52 AM
I guess it depends on a lot of things. Friends are usually a big part of dance. Are all of her/his friends staying or transfering. Do you have a good option in transfering? This would also need to be considered. Sometimes a change is a good idea. We transfered schools and it has been a very good thing for our dancing. We made new friends quickly and we have no regrets.
re: help needed with decison
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon May 14, 2012 11:32 AM
Are you sure this gifts you a free transfer? I don't pretend to be an expert but I don't think this is one of the scenarios in which you'd get one. Happy to be corrected.
re: help needed with decison
By lodgeroad
On Thu Jun 14, 2012 01:37 AM
IF you do get a free transfer (and I'd check that out) If you want DD to be open champ you might need to transfer. Two classes a week is not alot. BUT if DD is willing to practice at home outside of class she could probably do very well. If no practice at home, 2xs a week is not enough for Open Champ, to do well in it at least.
re: help needed with decison
By irishismylifemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Jun 14, 2012 02:47 PM
I don't think you get a free transfer for having classes reduced... My school currently only has 2 classes a week and always has! I think the only way for a free transfer is if the school closes completely, death of a teacher, or teacher retires... I'd be happy to be wrong though on that if someone could clarify?

Good Luck! It's never an easy decision but I think you need to look at your long term goals and think which situation would better meet those goals
re: help needed with decison
By natasha_neason
On Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:43 PM
I think the first reply on here offers some sound advice, you have to do what is best for yourself and your child.
re: help needed with decison
By Ceilimom2
On Thu Aug 30, 2012 07:17 PM
There are so many consideration, we have never transferred, but others have come into our school and it seems quite complicated. Between different styles of teaching, new steps, different opinions about dresses & styling, it seem like there is a lot involved.


Powered by XP Experience Server.
Copyright ©1999-2018 XP.COM, LLC. All Rights Reserved.