Poll: Advice / Beauty - Makeovers

Eye liner
By CNDhighlandmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2317, member since Wed Jul 20, 2005
On Mon Feb 27, 2012 09:59 PM

I'm wanting to branch out and try new eye make up techniques for when I go out and dance competitions. I have always used pencil but am wondering what others like.

21 Replies to Eye liner

re: Eye liner
By Spiorad Comments: 2156, member since Sat Jul 22, 2006
On Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:51 PM
Edited by Spiorad (163536) on 2012-02-27 22:54:22
I use gel liner and absolutely love it! I use HIP by L'oreal. The brush it comes with is completely useless so just throw it out and use your own. I think they call it "cream" eyeliner but yeah, its gel.

Seriously this stuff will stay on for DAY'S if I do not remove it with make up remover!

Also, one of the biggest complaints people have about it is that it goes dry really fast but when mine dried it (it was my own fault, I kept leaving the lid off) I figured, well... its already dry I can't ruin it any more and I put a small drop of makeup remover in the jar and now it works great!

So since it is a bit pricier it is nice to know that when it dries out again I can just add another drop of make up remover and it'll be fine.

This doesn't affect how long it lasts or anything and it dries really fast!

I use pencil for a softer, more natural look and when I'm not going to be too active because all the pencil eyeliners I've tried smug if I go out dancing or am at a comp.

Liquid is good if you find the right kind. Some can look like plether, all shiny and weird and some will flake off in chunks. You just have to find what is right for you. :)
By Summer Comments: 1255, member since Sat Sep 09, 2006
On Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:52 PM
My skin is so oily that pencil liner doesn't last more than a couple of hours before it slides right off. It has to be liquid or gel for any sort of staying power.
By Sparkle_Dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1585, member since Thu Apr 28, 2005
On Sat Mar 03, 2012 08:42 AM
I use both! I have oily skin, so I use pencil eyeliner on my waterline and then on my upper lid (above my eyelashes) I use the liquid and works great for me.
By Crazy_Clairemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5653, member since Wed Jan 26, 2005
On Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:33 AM
Edited by Crazy_Claire (120567) on 2012-03-03 10:33:37
I just use black eye shadow. I'm hopeless at working with liquid eyeliner and can never put enough pressure on an eye pencil for it to actually work. So I find that eye shadow is much easier for me and I make less of a mess of it that way.

I did read once in a magazine that black eyeshadow is useful for fixing up clumsy mistakes made with eye-liner, so you might find it handy if you are like me. :P

Claire.
By Martha_Cecillemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1128, member since Sun Oct 12, 2008
On Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:46 AM
I don't really like the look for normal daily make up, I use it only for parties :) it just seems like to much on my eyes ;)

but then I prefer liquid!
By Pinkbubble Comments: 74, member since Fri Apr 29, 2011
On Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:16 PM
Pencil liner. I use Urban Decay.
By staygold123 Comments: 482, member since Sat Jun 28, 2008
On Sat Mar 03, 2012 03:11 PM
I use either gel or liquid. Pencil doesn't really last for me and I haven't been able to find one that's a rich enough black for my liking.
By RattyPattymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4261, member since Mon Dec 29, 2003
On Mon Apr 30, 2012 07:02 PM
I really like the HIP by L'oreal too. It's amazing. I have two colors and I love them so much. I usually wear black, and I agree, the brush it comes with is pathetic, just use your own angled brush.
By Cheesemoo Comments: 639, member since Mon Jun 23, 2008
On Mon Apr 30, 2012 07:55 PM
I use an AWESOME (but annoyingly expensive) liquid for stage makeup, by Makeup Forever, it's called an Aqua Liner or something. It's really nice and doesn't smudge or streak.
Any other time I want to line my eyes I either use one of those creamy pencils that you can smudge, or just eyeshadow. I don't think strong eyeliner really suits me.
By KeepOnSinginPremium member Comments: 12372, member since Sun Dec 19, 2004
On Mon Apr 30, 2012 08:19 PM
My favorite eyeliner is and always will be Covergirl's Perfect Point Plus. It's a soft pencil that's easy to smudge but it stays on super well and is perfect for whatever you need whether that be normal, everyday makeup or stage makeup.
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Mon Apr 30, 2012 08:26 PM
I use a soft kohl pencil, as liquid and gel eyeliners never worked for me (and I prefer the more natural look of the pencil).

Given my colouring, I use brown tones, rather than black, and stick to liner on the upper lid only - I find that liner on the bottom/waterline makes the eyes look smaller.
By DayTripper_Premium member Comments: 566, member since Wed Mar 07, 2007
On Mon Apr 30, 2012 08:31 PM
I use liquid and gel liner. Have been try the gel out a lot lately and it's really easy to use :) Just need a good brush! The gel i have is actually from e.l.f and I found it at Target for 3 bucks!

For my liquid I have everything from Urban Decay liner to Revlon Colorstay. Of course, the Urban Decay is incredible quality, but it's also $20, which can get heavy sometimes.
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Mon Apr 30, 2012 08:56 PM
I've always used the Wet and Wild pencils in either grey or dark purple. I've never had a problem with them and they stay on pretty well. I've been wanting to try liquid eyeliner though, just for something different.
By Reidfidleirmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3478, member since Sun Sep 28, 2003
On Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:48 AM
I've never found a pencil liner that works. :/
If I use a liner, I'll use a liquid. My favorites are the sparkly ones from Victoria's Secret :)
By teenydanseur Comments: 513, member since Mon Nov 23, 2009
On Tue Jun 05, 2012 01:42 PM
this might be completely unhelpful but ill mention it anyway :)

I used to use eyeliner but I got sick of putting it on (my hand is not that steady haha) and then I had problems with it smudging/being even etc, so I stopped wearing it and then I started wearing mascara, I swear good mascara and an eyelash curler gives a close enough effect to eyeliner (opening up/outlining the eye) with way less work that I never looked back
By dancer7210 Comments: 283, member since Tue Aug 28, 2012
On Sat Nov 24, 2012 02:55 AM
I only wear eyeliner for dance shows, but then, I use a sparkly liquid that stays on all day through the sweating and various shows, and is super easy to put on! For competitions, I would suggest liquid, but for everyday, I would most likely say pencil, but this is only what I have heard, not personal experience.
By Tansey Comments: 2367, member since Fri Mar 27, 2009
On Sat Nov 24, 2012 04:33 AM
I love the Clinique Quickliners. They're pencils, but there's nothing to sharpen and they glide on, no pressure required to get a nice line. It lasts all day and no raccoon eyes. www.clinique.com . . . . I've been wearing these for years and just bought more last night. I have green eyes and chestnut hair. I bought the Moss and Roast Coffee. I'd just finished up a Slate and I've had the Violet before. Love these!
By SofiaGambina Comments: 21, member since Sun Nov 24, 2013
On Thu Nov 28, 2013 03:41 PM
Hi. I'm giving you my "professional" opinion. (I have a degree but I hate the word professional when talking about makeup in any context. It just annoys me.) I voted other because I tell almost everyone to use both. Pencil I the bottom and liquid on the top. The liquid will look better on top because there will be no gap between the lash line and the liner.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Thu Nov 28, 2013 06:49 PM
Rommel Scandaleyes liner goes on like ink. It's great. And I bought an Almay mascara one time and got a GWP eyeliner with it, and that stuffs amazing too. You practically have to beg it to come off!
By moara Comments: 955, member since Thu Jun 24, 2004
On Thu Nov 28, 2013 08:25 PM
I use the kind of liner that looks like a marker. I like to use it to tightline my upper lid. I rarely wear makeup, so I like the subtle look you get.
By dancerdunedin Comments: 30, member since Mon Jul 28, 2014
On Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:13 PM
I like pencil... I can never do liquid right. But i think both look pretty!

ReplySendWatch