Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Wanted

Worn-out, old, dead, unwanted pointe shoes for fashion show!
By mintique
On Thu Mar 01, 2012 06:12 PM

Greetings Ballerinas,

I am a fashion student at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago and am in desperate need of 3 pairs of dead pointe shoes (women's sizes 8-10). The more horrid and used, the better!

They will be in a fashion show in my collection which is based off of Giselle and the beauty and pain of ballet.

Donations would be appreciated but i would gladly pay for shipping or shoes at a reasonable price!

Thank you so much hope to hear from you soon, if this is not the place to ask would anybody have a good place to redirect me to?

Thanks again,

Elaine

7 Replies to Worn-out, old, dead, unwanted pointe shoes for fashion show!

re: Worn-out, old, dead, unwanted pointe shoes for fashion show!
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Mar 01, 2012 06:37 PM
Post something on a couple bulletin boards at Columbia. I'm sure you'll get response.
By mintique
On Thu Mar 01, 2012 07:30 PM
Oh good idea!! Thanks I'll try that too. I've been to chicago ballet and joffrey.. no luck yet.
By forevertutu
On Fri Mar 02, 2012 01:48 PM
I live on the west coast, My daughter street size is 61/2, we have many pairs, but they might be too small for your quest. However, if you cut the back open or just fold down the back side and wear them like that you may be able to have better luck in finding pairs. But if you walk into any ballet studio you will find many students with old shoes. I have so many pairs of my daughter I would love to donate to such a cause...good luck
By OneGiantLeap
On Fri Mar 02, 2012 02:18 PM
Try the studio owners' board ("Ask A Studio Owner"): www.dance.net . . .

There's a thread there called "Where can we donate old dance shoes?".
By mintique
On Fri Mar 02, 2012 07:28 PM
Oh thank you so much! I really appreciate your willingness to donate! But I will try to find the right sizes before I ask! Thanks again!
By mintique
On Fri Mar 02, 2012 07:32 PM
Thank you for that redirection! -crosses fingers-
By mintique
On Tue Mar 06, 2012 08:28 PM
Thank you for everyone's help and suggestions! I have gotten 5 pairs from donations :)! I am a very grateful and happy student!

If anyone happens to come by this post in the future and needs old pointe shoes, here are the steps I took:

- Printed flyers with contact information and went to ballet schools, some of the more well known ballet schools will not donate shoes because they sell their shoes with signatures for donations but I just got a phone call and I am receiving 3 pairs from a student of Ballet Chicago!

-Found this amazing website, and got an email with 2 pairs of donations and all I had to do was pay for shipping!

-Got irrationally desperate and asked on yahoo... and got criticized for asking....

-Bidded on everything old and pointe on ebay...(do not do this) but contacted the sellers and got more information on pointe shoes and was planning to buy 2 pairs... had to apologize for bidding and requested to cancel bids due to all the wrong sizes...

But I would say, patience and persistence is key! Good luck future pointe shoe hunter!

ReplySendWatch