Forum: Arts / Diaries

Page:
Page 2 of 221 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19 20 21 22
re: Planting an Appleseed
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Mon Apr 02, 2012 01:57 PM
Hooray for an awesome MiL! I've got one of those too and I'm SO LUCKY she's so great :)

The ultrasounds are always so fun.. I remember an ultrasound with Evelyn at 10 weeks and just absolutely fell in love with her because she looked like a little gummy bear. Getting to watch that progress is just wayyyy cool.

Easter's so close- have fun making the official announcement to everyone!
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Wed Apr 04, 2012 06:41 PM
Between my mum and my MiL, this little appleseed is going to be spoiled rotten! Pretty much from the day I told both mums, they've been knitting and buying stuff for me: MiL has an arsenal of knitted booties in various sizes and colours; mum has sleepsuits (because I hate the word "onesies") and muslin wraps and hats and nappy covers. Aside from the big ticket items, I don't think we're going to need to buy much at all in preparation!

This was my third ultrasound - N came with me at the 9 week "let's make sure you actually are preggo and it's not ectopic" one, and it was tiny! The next was the 11 week one at the OB's office where it looked like a gummy bear, and this latest was the 13 week one.

We got the DVD of the 13 week one in the mail yesterday. It's always so hard to judge N's reaction, but I think he was quietly pleased to see the Appleseed squirming on the screen. At the time of the scan, I was more concerned with making sure it was all OK, so didn't notice a lot of things that we saw last night: Appleseed poking its tongue out, stretching its legs, waving its arms in the "air" (like it just don't care), the way it squirmed and rolled around and all that. Because it was a disc straight from their master copy (the recorder wasn't working the day I had it), we had the fun of watching the Appleseed be really difficult when they were trying to get the downs measurement: "ooh, that wobble was when she poked and prodded and tried to make it roll over!" and so on. :D

Oooo, I'm excited/nervous about the weekend and the big reveal!
On Fri Apr 06, 2012 03:43 AM
Well, telling the siblings-in-law was a little more underwhelming than I had hoped. We tried to be clever with the "Grandma/Grandpa" cups we gave Mil/FiL, but as I suspected they didn't really pay attention to them.

So after a lovely Good Friday lunch (prepared by N and BiL1), we had a toast. To observation skills.

Them: "What?"
N: "What do he cups say?"
Them: "Oh, yeah, we saw them..."
N: "... aaand...?"
Them: "You're going to have a baby"
N and I: *grin*
Them: "When are you due?"
Me: "October"
N: We can show you the [ultrasound] DVD if you want"
FiL: "No! We don't want to see how it was made!"
MiL: "Besides, you need to have three before you can release a prequel"
.. and then the conversation drifted off to movies..

Oh well. BiL2 and both SiLs congratulated me and gave me a hug afterwards, but I have to admit I was hoping for a little more excitement than than.

We'll see how Easter Sunday goes with my side...
On Sun Apr 08, 2012 04:44 AM
Today's Reveal went much better than Friday's one. :)

We went up to my family's little cottage in the mountains - rebuilt from the fires and a very special place for all of us - to have lunch and spend the day with the immediate family. As well as Mum and Dad, Bro and SiL, my maternal grandmother and paternal great-uncle (who's been more like a grandfather to me since I don't remember my grandpas) were there.

Hand-painted "Grandma/Grandpa" cups were distributed (filled with chocolate eggs), and straight away there was a comment from Great Uncle: "Grandpa? What's the meaning of this?"
Me: "I'm pregnant!"
Cue much squeeing, and congratulating. :)
Grandma: "I knew it! You're glowing!"
And then there was the passing of the ultrasound pictures and much discussion over due dates and the general excitement of it all.

Bro seemed pretty stoked at the thought of being an uncle, and grandma is thrilled to become a great-grandma (for the third time)

The ashes of my paternal grandma, who passed this January, are buried at the cottage, and I took a moment to visit her as well. I wish she was here with us - I still miss her terribly. :C I'd like to think she's the guardian angel for the Appleseed, as I conceived only a few days before she passed.

I blame the pregnancy hormones for making me cry...
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Sun Apr 08, 2012 05:15 AM
Well, it's all very exciting that you're having a baby, but more importantly, your Marysville house has been rebuilt?

Congratulations on two successful reveals and at least one very excited one - and on having your house rebuilt - I'm very happy to hear it :)

Erin.
::righteous babe::
On Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:57 AM
Didn't I tell you we'd rebuilt Marysville? I thought I had! The exterior was finished in January last year, and the interior was finalised in about May. About the only thing I miss from the old house is the wood-fired heater (and the wombat!). We're getting heaps of birds back - yesterday we had a family of kookaburras, robins, rosellas and over 40 cockies.

If you haven't been up there for a while, it's well worth going. The bush is coming back really well (although there are some spots that may not regrow in our lifetimes), houses are popping up like mushrooms, there's accommodation available for guests, and places like the Patisserie are doing a roaring trade. :) Go!
On Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:09 PM
I told HR today.

Unofficially, of course (I have until 10 weeks prior to my due date to put in all the forms, including official documentation from the OB), but I'm in the system and they know I'm up the duff. I told them my tentative plans for maternity leave and what I'd ideally like to do when I come back, but I've got a few weeks before I make any firm decisions.

(Mind you, my ideal plan would be to not come back to work at all, but given I'm the major breadwinner while N's studying, it's simply not an option.)

I also signed up to get a flu vax this year.

I'm sort of conflicted, because I never get the flu vax - I'm usually really healthy and only ever get colds - but I'll be pretty huge when flu season hits this winter, and I take public transport. I think in this instance, the benefits of the vax outweigh the risks (and of course far exceed the dangers of getting the Flu itself whine pregnant!)

I'm not anti-vax - and will vax the sprout at the right times - but I often wonder how good our immune systems really are with the the Rise of the SuperBugs (hey, good B-movie title!). I know vaccinating has helped to eradicate diseases, but for something that is cyclical and mutates, like the flu, what are the long-term effects of the vax, both in individuals or in the "herd"? I don't know, but I'm joining the herd this year.

Oh! And I nearly forgot - now that we've told our families, we've also started putting the word out to friends, too. One good friend, who had twins a few years back, has offered me a lot of baby stuff she has no more use for: carseats, bassinets, and so on. My initial thought was that it's a loan, and she can have them back if/when she decides to have more kids, but the more I think about it, the more I think I want to give her some $$ for the stuff - she would have spent a fortune buying it all when she was pregnant, and it doesn't seem right that I get to reap all benefits from that for free.
On Sun Apr 15, 2012 08:24 PM
I found out through the grapevine that BiL1 was not pleased about our Big Reveal. He was polite at the time, and has congratulated us, but it seems inside he's not at all thrilled.

Partly it's because he always assumed that we'd all be having children around the same time. But things happen, and while it may not be the right time for him and SiL1, it was the right time for us. We can't put our life on hold until everyone else is at the same stage. Just not happening.

And I think the other reason he was miffed was the manner of our reveal - but that was the way N wanted to do it, so tough.

SiL2 has declared she is hosting the baby shower. N doesn't really want one (and we're going to get so much stuff from people beforehand anyway), but I guess we don't really get a say in the matter! Mum had a cool suggestion for a "Build baby's library" shower rather than nappies/growsuits/etc so I shall get the two of them to collaborate and just tell me where to show up. (One can't host one's own shower, you know!) :)

I'll be 16 weeks tomorrow. I'm starting to show, but loose "normal" tops are still working for now (can't fit into my button-up work shirts though). The worst side effects I've got at the moment is a sluggish digestive system and a blood nose. Could really do without the blood nose. I've always been prone to random blood noses, but the extra blood pumping around my system is making it worse. I hate the feeling of blood running down the back of the throat.

On the weekend I went to IKEA to price some of the big-ticket items I'll need: cots, change tables, etc. I'm not buying a thing until GoodFriend lets me know what she wants to give me AND we've cleared out the spare room, but it's nice to know that I can get a cot for just over $100 (with mattress), and other things without breaking the bank.
On Tue Apr 17, 2012 08:51 PM
I "outed" myself to my department yesterday.

Originally I wasn't going to - wasn't sure if I was ready to have it be *that* widely known, but in the end, I did. We had a morning tea to farewell a retiring colleague, and she was looking a little teary and uncomfortable. I asked her very quietly if she minded if I made an announcement - she said "No, of course not!" So I did (cue much squealing from the other girls - almost nobody suspected a thing [and the one who did invaded the cone of silence protocol for cube farm phonecalls]!). Retiring Colleague was pleased to have the focus taken off her for a little bit - although not for long, because it was her event - but it gave her time to compose herself. And she said it gives her an excuse to drop by when she's in the area. The things I do for people. ;)

Was brave and had my fluvax at lunchtime today, as well. Got a lollypop for my trouble. :D
On Fri Apr 20, 2012 05:38 AM
Today was my 16 week OB appointment. (One of the good things about living and having my doctors so far from work is that I get to take the day off thanks to the huge amount of leave I've got up my sleeve. Hello sleep in!) I was nervous - because I didn't know what this visit entailed, whether we'd talk about the Downs test results or what.

Not long after N & I got to the clinic, the midwife called me into the exam room. She took my blood pressure first:
"Relax"
"I thought I was!"
"Hmm... it's a little high. How about we let you chill for a few minutes and see if it goes down".

Oookay. I've never had high blood pressure in my life. But we sit there and we wait. And we wait. The midwife comes in briefly and gets us to change rooms, and we wait some more.

Turned out the OB had a patient emergency followed by an urgent call from another doctor. No worries - I'd rather he give them his undivided attention than risk lives!

The OB eventually came into the exam room. He asked if I'd felt the Appleseed move (yes at 12 weeks, and I thought I felt something last night, but other than that, no), then did a quick scan. Heartbeat all good. Placenta not too low. Printed out a picture, and asked if we had any questions.

Were the Downs blood/scan results OK? - They were fantastic don't worry
Were the measurements all good? - yep
I had spotting a few weeks ago, and again last week.. - can't see where you my be spotting from, so unless it's a major bleed, it may just be something to out up with.
I googled and wondered what we would do if my uterus doesn't flip forward? - You're an idiot for googling, stop it. I've only ever seen one case in my career where it didn't flip forward, and it's easy fixed.

And that was it. The midwife came in and re-did my blood pressure, which was still higher than my normal, but good for normal people, and we were done!

I spent the afternoon with my mum, chatting, ogling babystuff, talking about the things I'll need, things I want to do/try, things that experience had taught her and so on. It's always nice to spend quality time with mum. :)

I'm a bit concerned about the blood pressure, because I really, really want to avoid getting pre-eclampsia if at all possible. So I guess it's time to take it a bit easier and cut back on the savoury nibbles...
re: Planting an Appleseed (karma: 1)
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Fri Apr 20, 2012 06:53 AM
I'm not a doctor, but...

I wouldn't worry *too* much about the blood pressure. Just from reading this, I can tell you're very concerned about having a healthy pregnancy (who isn't?) & you're stressing yourself out. I, too, have naturally low blood pressure. You get yourself amped up over test results & scans and all of a sudden you find yourself registering a bit high. I'm sure it was just anxiety & there's nothing to worry about. Appleseed is cool. :D

On a slightly related note, my BFF has been calling hers "Tadpole". She just found out it's a girl, so now I suppose it's Miss Tadpole.
On Fri Apr 20, 2012 07:08 AM
LOL - I know you're right. :)

I do have a nasty tendency to worry over things that are perfectly normal or teeny tiny minor blips, so I'm not surprised that I worked myself up over the BP. When I got the ultrasound DVD a few weeks ago, it had a screenshot of all the measurements, and I was freaking myself out because BodyPartA was measuring a week ahead of schedule, but BodyPartB was a week behind. I need people to tell me I'm an idiot for worrying so much!

As for nicknames, I like Tadpole. My cousin called hers Cletus. Cletus the Fetus. :D
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Fri Apr 20, 2012 08:31 AM
My cousin called hers Shooter. I'm not sure why, LOL.

Erin.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 25878, member since Tue Jul 16, 2002
On Fri Apr 20, 2012 09:32 AM
I've heard Cletus before. I heard it from a comedian over here.
On Sat Apr 21, 2012 09:13 PM
Had a bit of a meltdown on Saturday.

I was talking to N about some of the more interesting stuff I'd read in the books/mags I'd been reading, and he was... unresponsive. Didn't need to know/see/hear whatever interesting factoid I'd discovered because he grew up on a farm. He'd seen sheep/cows/goats/dogs/etc give birth, and birth and labour don't seem to have that mystery for him.

So I lost it. Dissolved into a puddle of ridiculous tears, because it felt like this amazing, wonderful, confusing, overwhelming, exciting time isn't that special to him, because he's seen it happen before. I'm not a cow!

Stupid pregnancy hormones. (Although showing a little enthusiasm wouldn't kill him, you know!)
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Sat Apr 21, 2012 09:35 PM
^Silly boy. Human birth is much different than other animals! We are the only species that does not regularly have unassisted childbirth because of our anatomy! I love preggo factoids.

PS. I keep getting confused by you and Nys's diaries because you are both pregnant and both have "seed" titles. "Wait, whose am I reading again?"
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:22 PM
^haha! I love it! Easiest thing for me to differentiate the two is that Caffeine was un-lazy enough to attach a picture to her diary. Mine's plain :P

I think it was on Juno where a character said "A woman becomes a mother the day she finds out she's pregnant; a man becomes a father the day his child is born" and, from experience, it's pretty accurate. I've been in your situation before and it bothered me because I WASN'T talking about a cow (or puppy in my case, lol), I was talking about MY body and MY baby.

Don't worry if he's not all gung-ho right now about it. He'll discover pretty quickly when you're in labor that he's not going to be as detached about the whole thing when it's his wife and his child.
On Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:13 AM
^^ LOL - Nyssa may have been "lazy" by not attaching a picture, but she's the one who's much more organised and together and knows what's going on... I'm still sitting here going "Wha..?" ;)

Thanks for the pep talk, girls. N and I did have a long discussion after I calmed down, where he (backpedaled and) said that every birth he's seen has been special and amazing. But all I could think of was "I'm not a cow!" and that this was more special because it's OURS!

I'm sure once he can feel it or hear it (I'm so buying him a stethoscope from work tomorrow!) he'll be more into it, but for now he can really only smile and nod while I get to feel it squirm. Oh well.
re: Planting an Appleseed (karma: 3)
On Tue Apr 24, 2012 08:51 PM
Edited by Caffeine (183827) on 2012-04-24 20:52:49 gif!

Forget the scene from "Aliens" - I'm growing a Predator!!!

Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/aragwinity/2012/predator-baby.gif'
On Thu Apr 26, 2012 06:28 PM
^ In case anybody was curious (Erin, I know you are!), that was a still from my 13 week scan. Cool and a bit disturbing, eh?

I don't have much to update today, but wanted to post regardless. :) Going strong at 17 weeks, but the hormones - OMG, they're a pain. Had little sook over a Futurama episode (the one where they're going to clone the dog), and another last night because... well, no reason. OK, maybe because my day was pointless, I had a mountain of dishes to wash, and I missed my train.

Our sunroom flooded on Tuesday. Again. It was a really horrible day - driving rain, Antarctic winds, and generally miserable weather. The last time it flooded, the (stupidly enclosed) gutters backed up with the sheer volume of water. This time, the rain was at such an angle that it seems to have come in under the windowframe. Positive side: it gave me a kick up the bum to clear out more (soaked!) stuff that's no longer needed; negative side: we shouldn't have to put up with a flooded sunroom every time it rains. At least for the most part our books have been spared.

And speaking of books - I've been scoping out e-readers. Can't really justify a new one because my old PalmPilot is functional, but it's got severely limited storage space and the battery life of a pair of AAA rechargeables. Ideally I want a hybrid tablet/e-reader like the Kindle Fire, but they're not available here (or need to be rooted to function locally). A colour touch screen which can support my pdb and Kobo format books, and lets me download magazines. Nothing too fancy, but my plan is to take something like that to hospital to maintain my sanity. (My mother just laughs at me when I say that - "you won't have time to read!", but I'll go mad without my beloved books!)

I'm sure there are better, more important things to spend my money on, but mama wants a frivolous electronic device! Aah, first world pregnancy problems, right?
On Sat Apr 28, 2012 01:36 AM
How is it possible that I can function all week at work on minimal sleep and being nice to people, but a couple of hours of non-strenuous housework (after nearly 10 hours sleep!) has left me wrecked for the remainder of the day? Gah!

Even though my kitchen is sparkling and I've done 5 loads of washing (!!!) I feel as though I haven't accomplished anything at all.

Been feeling generally uncomfortable all afternoon: crampy, sore lower abdomen, lethargic and generally blah. For the moment, I'm assuming it's ligament pain (sometimes a dull ache near one or the other hip, sometimes a bit sharper in the middle, but nothing constant), but if it's no better by Monday morning, I'll call the doc. Would like to be able to feel bubs moving around, though.

On the plus side, I think I may have (finally!) stopped being retroverted - it feels like there's room around my intestines and stomach for a change. I'll enjoy it while it lasts, I guess!
On Sat Apr 28, 2012 04:03 AM
Had little sook over a Futurama episode (the one where they're going to clone the dog)

That's not hormones. I haven't met ANYONE who doesn't have a blub during that episode. Even Mark gets a bit teary, bless him :)

Erin.
On Sun Apr 29, 2012 07:18 PM
Oh, good! I'm glad I'm not the only one out there who gets teary watching that episode. N just laughed at me (before giving me a big cuddle)!

I'm going to start swimming again this month. We stopped because pool membership was too expensive, and over summer who wants to be in a crowded noisy chlorinated indoor pool when there's the big open beach out there with things to look at? But swimming in winter is good. Hardly anyone in there at night (too cold for the wimps), and last year I found I was less likely to get colds and bugs because I was active and getting out there and encouraging my immune system to do something.

But it's not easy finding chlorine-resistant maternity swimwear. With boob support. For a G-cup. That isn't a stupid halter-neck. Under $100. Am I asking too much? Really??
On Mon Apr 30, 2012 05:56 PM
I felt Appleseed move last night. Just sitting there chillin' and all of a sudden *pop* *pop* *thrummm* *pop* *flutter* *pop*.
So. Cool.

I've been waiting to feel it for ages, and was expecting it to feel the same as it did at 12 weeks (the sharp butterflies), but this feeling was completely unexpected. And very awesome.

I also dreamed about the Appleseed last night. I dreamed that I gave birth, and that it was a boy. Labour was very short - 20 minutes from start to finish and relatively painless. He was very premature, though (like born in May rather than September/October), but even so was very advanced: he could already roll over. His skin was brownish. In my dream, I still hadn't told everyone I wanted that we were expecting, so I put out an announcement on FB: "[Name] was born today, weighing 6 bounds 11 ounces. And to those who didn't even know he was on the way.. surprise!"

Strange dream. Very detailed.
On Wed May 02, 2012 06:38 PM
It may be the hormones, but the two recent Anony-posts regarding miscarriage have got under my skin. In a big way. (And if those two Anony-posters are reading this, please don't feel bad/guilty or anything like that, it is not my intention at all!)

Reading their experiences got me scared. Scared that even now something could still go very wrong. A friend of mine lost her baby six months ago, at 27 weeks, so until Appleseed is born - or for the next n years - there's no such thing as "out of the woods". (Although if Appleseed could move around a bit more often, I'd feel more reassured that it's OK!) Life's so fragile, and one tiny variable can change its course in such a big way.

(And I'm also scared that feeling like this means I'll be more likely to get PND later on. *sigh* N is my rock.)

I had a cry for the Anony-posters last night. I don't know you, but I feel for you.
Page:
Page 2 of 221 2 3 4 5 6 7 18 19 20 21 22

ReplySendWatch