Forum: Arts / Diaries

Page:
Page 3 of 221 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 18 19 20 21 22
re: Planting an Appleseed
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Wed May 02, 2012 09:54 PM
^I'm right there with you. My heart absolutely breaks for them :(

My mom had many miscarriages, most in the 2nd trimester. Because of growing up and seeing her miscarry as often as she did, my view of pregnancy (she had almost as many miscarriages as she did successful pregnancies) was a little skewed. Even after 2 totally low-risk pregnancies I still spent the first 28 weeks of this pregnancy pretty miscarriage-phobic. I probably will NEVER shake the mindset that miscarriage is ALWAYS just around the corner; I don't know if it's something that every pregnant lady goes through or not, but I definitely know exactly how you're feeling.
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Sat May 05, 2012 04:18 AM
Thanks, Nyssa - I'm glad I'm not the only one who worries like this! I only have the one friend IRL who has lost her baby, so it's not like past experience has coloured my view - I think I'm just a worrywort. If I can get past 27 weeks, I'll breathe a sigh of relief, I think!

N and I spent the day with our good friends S and C and their (loud, rambunctious, energizer-bunny) almost-four-years-old twins. We had a good long chat about everything under the sun - N used to work with S before he lost his job, and I studied with her, so we all go back a long way. Their kids are so outgoing and loud energetic. It's been ages since we've seen them, but they still know us and wanted hugs and games and told us stories and were generally little showoffs while we were chatting to C and S. They had a pile of stuff for us, which is going to come in very useful:

a near-new cot and mattress
a change table with bath
a bassinet
a babywearing thingy (not a wrap, the other style.. I call them baby backpacks)
an electric bottle steriliser
a bath seat thingy
and a ton of cloths and things which we won't know we'll need until we do

Oh, and potentially a rocking chair, too (if the original owner who loaned it to them in the first place doesn't want it back)

I offered to give them $$ for the stuff, because they had a huge outlay when they had their twins, but they laughed it off, and said they'd rather we pay it forward to the next babies in our circle instead. They're too kind! <3

On a less fun note, I got hit by a truck of a cold yesterday. Fizzy sinuses, itchy throat, general malaise - I've been letting myself get too run down. Spent the evening curled up under a blankie in the loungeroom watching the Matrix and feeling Appleseed squirm at the good bits. And I had a whopping ten hours sleep straight. Not enough, though - I still feel like something at the bottom of the kitty litter tray. I'm blaming either the people on the train the other day or the academic at work who said "I've got a cold" then gave me a kiss when I told her I was going on mat. leave next semester. Hmm.
On Sun May 06, 2012 01:52 AM
We popped in to see the ILs briefly this afternoon, and while N was helping his dad with something, I stayed in the kitchen chatting to his mum.

Among other things we were talking about, we discussed my future use of nappies (diapers), as she had met someone who made "these new-fangled eco-nappies. Have you heard of them?" Yes, I have, and I plan to use them, because I will NOT use the triangle/square of terry-towelling and a safetypin. After discussion about the merits of square over triangles, and showing me how she used to fold the towelling nappies, she mentioned she had a pattern for the new sort with a removable bamboo insert.

I think a switch flipped in my head. I love my MiL dearly, I really do - she's got a ginormous heart, and she's treated me like one of her own since day one. But I'm starting to feel a little left out of this whole baby malarkey. She's made SO MUCH stuff, that between all of that and the second-hand things I'll be getting, there's not going to be anything left for me to do except find space to put everything.

There doesn't seem to be anything left for me to coo over and buy, because it's all taken care of. :Cry If nothing else, let me make the decision about the types of nappies I want to buy!

Ugh, this makes me sound so ungrateful, and I'm not, really! I do appreciate everything that people are doing for me, but I want to get excited about babystuff, too!

(And on a slightly related note, I'm getting fed up with the "Oo, you think you're tired now, you won't have time to be tired later" or "You're showing already - are you sure it's not twins?" comments from colleagues. GRR. At least there are no bellyrubs yet. Yet.)

/hormonal rant
On Mon May 07, 2012 01:00 AM
.. and on a different tack again (no hormonal ranting in this post, I promise!):

I came across this article in an online zine this afternoon:
www.mamamia.com.au . . .
All about pregnancy, birth and body image - "letting yourself go" and accepting the changes that this amazing, incredible process of growing life does to the body.

It's a very interesting post to read, and the comments - oh my. People on both sides of the body image divide, at various stages of pregnancy and/or with different numbers of children. Well worth a read.

For my part, at 19 weeks (tomorrow), I think I'm the happiest I've ever been in my own skin.

I've always had a natural hourglass figure (and the self consciousness that the constant ogling of the boobs brings to the table), but I've always had a "soft" body as well. When I was younger, I worked bloody hard to try and mold it to the standards of beauty and fitness, but you know what? It never worked, and so I grudgingly accepted that my shape is what it is and I can't change it.

I tried to focus on things I loved about my body, and learned to be blind to the things I hated. But even so, I've never been comfortable with my body, my reflection in the mirror. Look long enough (depending on the day that could be a glance or a prolonged search!) and the flaws are easy to find.

Now that I'm pregnant, though, I'm enjoying rediscovering beauty. I'm not perfect - far from it (my skin is dry and spotty, and I've got a luggage rack of bags under my eyes) - but the changes in my body are fascinating. Each stretchmark on my boobs is a testament to the miracle of life. A pregnant belly is beautiful. Sure, I've popped early and am showing more than a slimmer woman might, but that gorgeous belly simply shouting to the world "Here I am: I am a mother!"

Will I wear compression garments to get back into shape after birth? Probably. But until then, I'm going to revel in this beautiful, amazing process, and treat each newly-discovered flaw as the well-earned medals they are. *

Appleseed approves - been squirming the whole time I've been typing this. :)

* I should put as a disclaimer that as of now I haven't gained any weight yet. My opinion may change when I'm the size of a house and the weight of a small African elephant!

(Also another interesting article about vaccination.)
On Mon May 14, 2012 12:57 AM
20 weeks, tomorrow. Halfway through! I'm amazed how fast it's gone. Only another 141 days to go. (And still SO MUCH to do!) I'm dragging my feet on getting the spare room/nursery cleared and set up - really, I'm a wee bit superstitious about that, and don't want to tempt the unthinkable. If we can get it set up in the last couple of weeks, we'll be good.

We visited my folks yesterday for Mother's Day. Dad very generously offered us a loan so we can extend the house. I'm still gobsmacked by that. We said "not yet" - maybe in the next 12 months we'll accept, but we still only have sky in the pie ideas about what we want. But between that and Grandma's Money we'll have some breathing room to get it done without going hugely into debt, which is a weight off my shoulders. The thought of not having a financial safety net behind us - especially given that we're both planning on going part-time - gives me the screaming heeby-jeebies.

Appleseed has discovered my bladder, and treating it like a football. To describe how the movements feels to me: have you ever had a muscle twitch under the skin (like when your eye twitches, or something)? "Gas bubbles" is another way I've heard it described. It's sort of like that, a bit of a bubbly throb, but very localised. This afternoon it's been just below my navel: pop. pop. poppoppop. pop.

I've often wondered: are babies affected by gravity in utero? As in, if I'm standing, will they sit lower in the pelvis, or if I lie on my side, will they sink to that side? Or are they just floating in goop, and my positioning doesn't affect them? The things you think about when you're trying to sleep....
On Fri May 18, 2012 12:23 AM
Had my 20 week OB appointment today.

This was NOT the Big Scary 20-week scan-and-measure I'm due for - that's next week. Today was just a checkup and to pay (this doc charges X amount at 20 weeks, and another Y amount at 30-something, but other than that I don't need to pay anything because it's all covered under my health insurance.)

The doc was running majorly behind schedule - close to an hour, due to an earlier patient having complications. It makes me glad this is a relatively easy pregnancy! He had a student doc with him, and I was asked if I consented to him doing part of the exam. Sure - they've gotta learn somewhere! So the student doc took my BP (120/80 - yay), took my history and generally chatted, then OB came in to complete the exam. He asked if I had any concerns ("Nope, been pretty textbook perfect so far", "Good, I like boring. Complications throw everything off"), poked my belly, and used a doppler to amplify the heartbeat (140-something bpm - good). No ultrasound this time.

So far Appleseed is the size it should be, has a good heartbeat, and I'm still obscenely healthy. :D

...Although my hormones did kick in earlier today when another of N's cousins announced she was pregnant too. 11 weeks for her. We've kept it really quiet until we tell everyone we want to in person, so a lot of people still don't know. I admit to a rather large pang of uncharitable jealousy that SHE'S getting tons of attention and I'm not. Oh well. I guess I don't need attention, but I'd like it!
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Fri May 18, 2012 11:24 AM
I just want to say THANK YOU for letting the student doctor work with you. I'm following around doctors this summer and am finishing up a few days of OB and I am just so thankful that the patients haven't objected to me learning from them. Patients themselves are the most valuable teachers we have! You can memorize the checklist a million times, but it's so different working with an actual, interactive patient. There are things you 100% CAN'T learn without letting a patient consent to you practicing (Still need way more practice measuring fundal heights!, lol) So thanks :)

Glad your pregnancy is going well!
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Sat May 19, 2012 01:12 AM
Know how you feel, Caffeine. Know how you feel.

Helen
On Sat May 19, 2012 02:00 AM
(((HUG))) Helen!

Uber: I have a confession to make: I'm all for giving student docs a chance to learn, but I did make a conscious decision NOT to deliver at one of the teaching hospitals in the area. :\ But that's only because it's a public hospital, and I'm going private (some of the public hospitals in the area have a poor reputation, especially for after-care). If a student/newer doc (intern?) is on rotation while I'm in there, go for it!

We caught up with some friends today, including one couple who have a 7 week old little girl. Of course, as soon as she woke up, everyone was all: "Give her to Caffeine so she can practice!". Oookay. But as soon as she grizzles, I'm giving he back to mum! (I need to start doing weights - babies are heavy!) K, the mum, is fantastic - bursting with tips and tricks she's picked up so far, nappy brands, pram styles, health-care centres to avoid, and all that. It's wonderful having someone nearby with up-to-date info and experience to pass on, and she's got similar philosophies to me with regards to cloth/disposable, breast/bottle and so on. Methinks I'll be picking her brains a lot over the next few months!

And now that the final in-person announcements have been made, so I've outed myself of Facebook: a shameless belly-photo beside my oven (with a bun in it). Because why be subtle about it? :D
On Tue May 22, 2012 08:20 PM
This pregnancy fatigue has really killed my fitness. I'm falling asleep on the train, and generally not exercising anywhere near as much as I used to. Or as I should. Doesn't help that it's dark when I get home, so I can't go for walks anymore, either. Boo-urns.

So starting this week I plan to regain some level of fitness. And eat healthier.

Monday: Prenatal Yoga and bellydance.
Tuesday: Walk at lunchtime.
Wednesday: Prenatal Yoga (would usually be swimming, but someone is coming round tonight)
Thursday: Yoga/bellydance
Friday: Walk

Let's hope I stick to it!

It's been way too long since I danced. Classes were cancelled at the end of 2010, and my troupe sort of disbanded: injuries, life, and all that. And I'm kind of ashamed at how much conditioning and technique I've lost since then. But hopefully I'll slowly build it back up again, and at the same time strengthen my core in preparation for the birth.

Once Appleseed is here, I plan to walk every day that I can. Get out of the house and get fresh air. And segue nicely into talking about prams. ;)

When I saw K the other day, she was showing off the pram she bought for her little one: a BabyJogger CityMini. I LOVE the fact that it folds up with one tug of a strap! It's probably mid-range in price, and I do like it. The other one I'm ogling is the BabyJogger Select, which is a cool modular one that can fit a toddler and a newborn (and still has the nifty one-strap fold feature). Terribly expensive, though! (Must talk to my cousin A about prams before we buy one, regardless, as she either has recommendations, or a second-hand one for us). My main requirements are: 4 wheels, a good handle height so I don't hurt my back, ease of folding/storage, and will survive newborn through toddlerhood.

I will babywear where possible, but I want a pusher as well for longer journeys and those times when you don't want to be laden down like a packhorse.
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11250, member since Tue Feb 26, 2002
On Tue May 22, 2012 08:51 PM
The pusher is really handy for when you've just realised you need to run to the shops for the essentials, too. The vast majority of my customers when I worked at the supermarket were parents with the stroller doing an emergency run for dinner ingredients, milk, bread, etc. The basket under most strollers was PERFECT for chucking the shopping into without needing to get plastic bags. I always loved those customers the best!

Erin.
::righteous babe::
On Fri May 25, 2012 01:48 AM
^ totally! We checked out those two pushers today, and they've got SO MUCH room in the base for shopping, luggage, everything! :) I just need to decide whether I can justify the really $$ one or not (and what attachments and gizmos I want with it).

We had the "mid gestation" (aka 20-week) scan today. All good! Measurements are all within a day of where they should be for my dates ("a nice fat tummy!" said the doc), and there are no additional surprises like an extra head or tail or twin. The only potential concern is that the placenta is low - covering the cervix at the moment.

Google tells me it's normal at the moment, but if it doesn't shift, I may well be looking at a Cesar when the time comes. That doesn't bother me, really: I'd rather come out the other side with both of us healthy and safe rather than be a martyr and put either if us at risk!

Oh, and we didn't find out the sex. :D
On Tue May 29, 2012 10:05 PM
N was chatting to one of our neighbours this morning (slight digression: this is weird, for the first time in the 8 years we've been here, we're actually becoming a neighbourhood where we interact and have bbqs and stuff. This is strange and surreal!).. and Neighbour said he hadn't been excited about their baby until it actually arrived - a normal bloke thing, apparently.

N told me later that he isn't terribly excited right now either. He was, but now that we've "outed" ourselves, it's too much attention, and that's killed a lot of his enthusiasm. He can't wait to hold Appleseed when it's out (and I know he'll be an awesome dad), but now? A bit meh.

I sort of understand, because that's a part of his personality (we're both introverts, and too much attention makes us both balk!), but it's tough to hear at the same time. Maybe it would be different if he was getting all the cool stuff (like reflux and constipation and using the bladder as a bouncy castle) that gets to happen to me, instead of watching from the sidelines and being congratulated to death.

22 weeks and all's well.

Oh, and he can have these stupid overreacting hormones, too. :Cry
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Thu May 31, 2012 06:19 PM
I've been reading a book about Ethnopediatrics (basically the study of how biology and culture shape the way we parent), and there are actually a lot of dad-to-be's that end up with one symptom or another of their wife's pregnancy. Men with pregnant wives tend to visit the doctor 50% more often with complaints of pregnancy-like symptoms than men without pregnant wives. Hubby never shared any pregnancy symptoms so I'm in your camp on that, but I thought that was really interesting.

He probably just processes stuff a different way; I know this may seem silly, but I found that if I saved up all my enthusiasm for talking to someone like my mom (who's usually just as excited about the baby as I am), I find a greater amount of- I dunno- satisfaction I guess? in sharing how excited I am. Hubby is a low-key guy too, and even when he IS excited you won't find him bouncing off the walls like me :) That doesn't mean I don't express my excitement or happiness to Hubster, it just means that I realize that my sharing isn't going to lead him to jumping for joy along with me.

Don't worry, though... Once he sees Appleseed for the first time, he'll be just as smitten as you already are. I can totally guarantee that ;)

And you're not finding out the sex?! My brother and sister-in-law are doing that with the baby they're expecting in November. That's SO not my style, but I bet that adds a total extra layer of excitement to it!
On Thu May 31, 2012 07:51 PM
I would love it if N was able to get sympathy pregnancy pains! He wouldn't laugh so hard if it was him getting kicked in the [insert organ here] all night!

I do understand where he's coming from with the subdued response though: we talked about it on Wednesday night (after I had a good cry), and he is quietly pleased about Appleseed. He loves listening to it with the stethoscope, or feeling it move around, and he doesn't mind when I talk about how I'm feeling, what it's doing or anything like that. It's more a case of .. I don't know - I think he was happier when it was our little secret, but now that it's out in the open and everybody knows and everybody is talking and doing stuff for it, some of the fun has been sucked out. Like when I said earlier that there's nothing for me to coo over because all the material stuff is being made/bought/supplied by everyone else, I think he's feeling a bit the same way.

And hearing it verbalised sort of blindsided me. I was feeling a bit flat that day anyway, so it was the proverbial straw that tipped me over the edge. I know he's going to be thrilled when it comes out. :D

We spoke about finding out the sex when we first found out about the Appleseed, but decided that as long as it's healthy, it's all that matters. The other week I had a feeling it was going to be one way, but everyone I've spoken to says that "feeling" is usually wrong (or it was for them!), so I'm happy to be surprised. We've got both a boy and a girl name picked out, so the important bases are covered. :)
On Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:02 PM
23 weeks tomorrow.

I'm doing pretty well: everyone comments on how well and happy I look, and I've been mercifully free of the majority of unpleasant side effects to date (and the ones I do have are manageable now). Currently the only really annoying one is a rash that's sprung up under my arms - switching to hypoallergenic deodorant tonight! I feel huge already, but so far minimal stretch marks, and I'm looking properly pregnant, not just fat.

Sleeping is getting interesting, as the most comfortable positions for my neck and back are not so comfortable on the belly any more. And it's not helped by a cat who likes to use the belly as a pillow.

I've always been an "enjoy the journey, not the destination" sort of person: I looked forward to the final year of schooling more than completing it; I prefer planning events to actually attending them. And I wanted to be pregnant, but I'm kinda terrified of the whole birth-having-a-baby-raising-a-child thing. I'm sure it'll all be fine when the time comes...

SiL is hosting a baby shower for me in July-ish. She was asking me where I want it to be held, but I really don't mind. The only thing I've asked is that we avoid the gross/contentious games! I really have to bite my tongue to stop offering to help (buy plain growsuits for guests to decorate, make foodstuffs, etc), because she won't let me!

And I've decided that I am going to make something for the Appleseed. I've bought a pattern/kit to knit blocks for a baby blankie. (It was one of these month-at-a-time things, but I got it all in one hit). After I've made a beanie for K's little one, I'm going to start on the project for mine.
On Wed Jun 13, 2012 07:32 AM
24 weeks and all's well!

I find it interesting how many people have commented on how well/happy/healthy I look with this pregnancy. I know there are a lot of women out there who have a truly dreadful time of it, but for some reason I thought they were the exception rather than the rule. After all, everyone talks about the pregnancy "glow", not the pregnancy "haggards". And life and stuff can't really be put on hold just because the bump is there...

I've had to buy more bras this week. I was making do with some pre-preg ones, but have finally succumbed to the need for more. Because of the ever-expanding boobs, my bra-drawer is exploding. Heh - my cups literally runneth over. The best maternity/nursing bras I've found to date are from Cake Lingerie. OMG - so comfortable! And pretty! Expensive, of course, but pretty!

I had my 24 week appointment today. Another quickie (although this time he was on time!): blood pressure is good, all the measurements from the 21 week scan (barring the placenta) are fine, and the heartbeat is nice and strong. I need to go get another round of bloods done in 3 weeks or so - iron, blood glucose, and all that fun stuff, and my 32 week scan to check the placenta is all booked in.

This time I had a list of things that I wanted to ask the doc, and he reassurred me that all the icky stuff (reflux/discharge/constipation) are normal and the painful twinges I've been getting are more than likely ligaments stretching. I asked him when he recommends stopping work (because work needs 10 weeks notice of mat-leave!!), and he said it was really up to me: he's had patients stop at 20 weeks, others working right up until they deliver. I was planning to stop between 34 and 36 weeks (depending on his recommendation) - I'm thinking I might split the difference and stop at 35 and a bit weeks... the end of August. Nice and tidy, and gives me enough time to go mad at home by myself before the madness really hits!

I also let my old vulvodynia specialist know about the pregnancy today. We'd been seeing her for a long time, and I thought she would like to know that her treatments have been successful. ;) And she was, of course, thrilled for us. She said that after their final appointments, most people don't give a quick check-in/follow up call like we did, so for her sake it's gratifying to hear that her former patients are doing well. She's on my to-call list for after the birth. :)
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Thu Jun 14, 2012 01:27 AM
I worked up to 38 weeks because I wanted to make my paid maternity leave last as long as possible. :)

This time, I don't have the luxury of paid maternity leave though.

Helen
On Thu Jun 14, 2012 01:59 AM
It'd be nice to have the mat-leave pay last longer, but I figure 35-ish weeks gives me a buffer zone just in case there are any complications. :) And I really don't want to face the three-hour round trip commute when I'm the size of a small African elephant! (While I work close to hospitals, the thought of waters breaking on the train is just ICK!)

Aaaand....it's official (ish). I've given my workplace eleven weeks notice for my maternity leave dates - 48 weeks at half pay, and then padding out the rest of the year with my accrued annual leave. If all goes to plan, I'll have my last working day on 31 August, and come back on 2 September next year.

I still need to fill out the appropriate forms, but I've got another 6 weeks or so before I have to have them in... and I need a medical certificate confirming my due date to accompany them.

The balls, they are a-rollin'.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Thu Jun 14, 2012 03:19 AM
The amount of maternity leave that other countries allow for (besides the US) is mind-boggling awesome!
On Thu Jun 14, 2012 05:40 AM
^ And I'm always astounded how little support is provided - either by the government or the majority of employers* - for new parents over in the States.

The official government stance over here is 18 weeks paid at the national mimimum wage, you can take up to 12 months unpaid leave and the position (or an equivalent) must be available for you when you come back.

The 48 weeks half-pay leave (or 24 weeks full pay) is provided by my very generous employer on top of the government allowance (with an additional incentive to come back!).

With N not working (or working part-time if we're lucky) and me scaling back to half-pay, I'm glad we've got the government support to help us make ends meet. I'd rather not need it, but given it's available, it makes sense to apply for it!

(*yes, I know it's a generalisation, and some employers are awesome in that regards. But on the 'net I usually only hear about the less-good ones)
On Thu Jun 14, 2012 04:53 PM
^It's really not a generalization. There are certainly generous employers, but not "generous" by your standards or anywhere close. The government mandates only 12 WEEKS of unpaid, job-protected leave here....huge difference from 12 months :( Whomp, whomp.

Happy to hear your pregnancy is progressing well though! I love DDN babies.
On Fri Jun 15, 2012 06:59 AM
12 weeks? That's hardly any time to recover and get into a routine and learn to deal with no sleep...! Stuff like that really boggles my mind sometimes. :?

And you know, I may b*tch about my work sometimes (although I'm trying not to!), but they do really, really look after their employees.

:D
On Fri Jun 15, 2012 03:01 PM
That's one thing I'd love to see- more support for working parents over here in the US. The majority of working mothers that I know went back to work at 6 weeks postpartum because they either couldn't afford to be gone longer or they knew they'd lose their job if they didn't get back to work ASAP. Over here it really seems like you have to make a choice between your brand-new baby and your career and I've never thought that was fair, even though I've spent the majority of my mommyhood staying at home by choice.
It is pretty darn awesome that you get so much time with your lil' Appleseed after the birth!
On Sat Jun 16, 2012 01:51 AM
It's really not fair that women (never men, of course!) have to choose between family and career. The more I read on internet forums, the luckier I feel to be able to go back at all, let alone in a year's time! I actually would have liked to have become a SAHM after having the Appleseed, but that's not an option until N gets full-time work again.

And speaking of N, he heard Appleseed's heartbeat with the stethoscope last night. It also kicked him in the head when he put his ear to my belly! :D
Page:
Page 3 of 221 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 18 19 20 21 22

ReplySendWatch