Forum: Arts / Diaries

Page:
Page 4 of 221 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 18 19 20 21 22
re: Planting an Appleseed
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Mon Jun 18, 2012 04:42 AM
25 weeks tomorrow!

Appleseed is very active today. :) With the exception of an occasional *thump* at belly-button latitude, it's a flurry of flutters near the bikini line. Most of the movement I feel (unless I'm lying down) is quite low like this... I wonder if it's because of gravity, the low placenta, or Appleseed just likes kicking the bladder because it gets a reaction?

I read a couple of interesting (and opposing) articles about birth plans this morning, and got to thinking. I really don't have one. My one main goal is to come out the other side of this with both me and Appleseed healthy! Thinking about it: I do want N to be there and involved as much as possible (and no other visitors - labour is not a spectator sport!), and I'd rather avoid an epidural if I can (other pain relief - yes please!). And I won't fight the doctor if he says I need a Cesar. But for the rest - active/passive labour, birth positions, monitoring, goodness knows what else - I have no idea. Maybe I'll figure it out after the antenatal classes... or maybe I'll just wing it and go with what feels right on the day.

I've caught another cold. Woke up at 2am Sunday feeling like I was swallowing razor blades (now it just feels like I've been licking the kitty litter tray). It's moved up to my sinuses, which, while horrible and affecting my concentration, is probably a blessing, because me and chest infections don't go well together. The endless broken nights are really not conducive to good health, though, especially when it's really cold and the cat steals the blankets! Hopefully the salt-gargles, honeyed beverages* and paracetamol (and a decent night's sleep!) will help kick this bug as fast as the last one...

*I hate lemon tea, so my favourite hot beverage when I've got a cold is what I call a "Toblerone" - hot chocolate with a generous spoon of honey mixed in. And marshmallows. In my favourite bunny cup (and accompanied by a book, blanket, comfy chairs and soft cushions where possible).

(bet you didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition!)
On Tue Jun 19, 2012 06:24 AM
Edited by Caffeine (183827) on 2012-06-19 06:32:07
Had a rough night last night with maybe 2 hours sleep, so stayed home from work today. Doc gave me three days off to try and shake this thing, because I can't take anything except paracetamol as a last resort - here's hoping I actually sleep tonight! It seems to be a nasty virus going around, and the doc was concerned that Appleseed may get distressed, so I'm not monitor its movements, just in case. (I just figured that given how many resources Appleseed is taking from my body, I should head this off early and look after me for once!)

Felt an earth tremor this evening. Turned out it was a 5.2 quake about 100k's / 60 miles or so away. Enough to rattle the building and make furniture move across a concrete slab. And the cats slept through it (I was more freaked by it than they were, it seems). I don't like tremors (as opposed to Tremors). These sort don't seem to care if you're standing on rock...
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11196, member since Sat Aug 10, 2002
On Tue Jun 19, 2012 01:39 PM
I know exactly what you're talking about regarding the birth plan furor. The "Birthzilla" one made me so angry and upset because I felt vilified by the writer for having dared to be contemplating a plan for this birth to prevent my complications becoming even more of a problem. Apparently, how dare I care about my own body when all that should matter is that my baby is healthy? Well, as I tweeted the other day, a baby can't cure disfigurement or incontinence...

Anyway, your choices are your choices and they should be respected. If you choose not to have a birth plan and put your faith in the medical staff, that's fine. If you choose to have a birth plan so that you can prepare yourself for the possibilities, that's also fine. What that "Birthzilla" article did was proclaim women shouldn't have the choice.

Helen
On Thu Jun 21, 2012 05:13 AM
I actually found both articles to be a bit off - one one side the "Birthzilla" one mocking those who want to have a plan and contingencies for complications, and on the other the "Doom on you" attitude towards those having the temerity to trust the doctors. Both authors were pushing their own agendas (I suppose it's to be expected in these sort of pieces - and I've had issues with the second author's stance in the past), and neither article was impartial enough or giving enough information for women to make their own choices about it.

I suppose it's just another step in the whole competitive parenting bull****. It doesn't - or shouldn't - matter to anyone outside you and your support team how the birth goes, what you do or don't have planned as long as you do what's right for you and your individual circumstances.

===

My cold has moved down to my chest. Poo. Given my history of colds-turning-to-bronchitis I decided to venture out of the house and to a pharmacy, because all the honey and lemon and warm beverages aren't going to shift that once it settles. :( Pharmacist gave me a bottle of Prospan - a herbal cough syrup - as the mainstream brands are not recommended. The information sheet suggested to contact health practitioners before taking it in pregnancy, so I rang Nurse On Call. Who referred me to the Drugs and Pregnancy line at the Women's hospital. Who told me NOT to take the herbal stuff (as there's no research into how safe they actually are), and instead just take Benadryl or similar. Riight. I rang the OB's office, who confirmed it, and said that at this stage of the game OB is fine with pretty much any over-the-counter stuff. But if it settles on the chest, shouldn't you get antibiotics?

I just want to stop coughing. And maybe sleep through the night while I can!
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Thu Jun 21, 2012 06:23 AM
Links to the articles pretty please? Would love to read both of them!
On Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:28 AM
Article 1: "Birthzillas"

Article 2: "In defence of Birthzillas"
(I may have been a little harsh on Article2 in my previous post, but I don't have a lot of time for that particular author)
On Sun Jun 24, 2012 01:56 AM
Because pregnancy was never meant to be easy...

Imagine your worst PMS day. Then quadruple it. And forget the ups and the angriness and just focus on the sad/crying part of things (and not the delicate weepy eyes, but full on snorky sobbing).

That was my day yesterday.

I had NO reason to be sad. At all. I'm fine, Appleseed is still squirming around happily, and I have a great support network. Nothing went wrong, no major drama or upheavals. But I still couldn't stop crying.

Is there a big hormonal surge around the 25/26 week mark? Is it because I'm still not 100% after being sick? Is it the weather? Or it is just because I upgraded the OS on my computer and couldn't figure out how to restore my emails?

Oh well. Today is another day. Buck up. Up and at 'em.

===

And on an unrelated note: do any Aussie readers remember a comic strip from the 80's about a baby's life in the womb? The borders of each panel were the edges of the baby's world. I'm almost certain it was an Aussie artist - I want to say the artist was the same guy who does Snake Tales, but I don't think it was. I remember reading it when I was a kid, and it's been on my mind the last few days.. but I can't remember enough about it to google!
On Tue Jun 26, 2012 03:12 AM
26 weeks! (In the absence of actual updates, I hope y'all will forgive a weekly progress report of Things I've Been Experiencing)

I'm pretty much over the nasty bug (and the weekend sooks), although I think I've pulled a muscle in my back from coughing so hard. It hurts! Between that and the to-be-expected lower back/pelvic pain from pregnancy, I'm a barrel of laughs when I sneeze. :D *a-choooo.... oww!!* I've been toying with the idea of "support shorts" for the pelvic pain in particular but I'm hesitant, because (a) they're expensive and (b) I don't know if they actually do they actually do anything, or just act like a brace? If the pelvic pain continues, I might mention it to the OB at the next appointment and see what he suggests.

Appleseed still seems to be sitting quite low: must be comfortable down there. Between bladder soccer, belly-button speedball and the lightning ripples it's giving me between my hips, it's making for an interesting time. I can't tell the difference between kicks and hiccups, though - it's all just movement.

On Saturday, I'm getting my next round of bloods done, including the Glucose/GD test. I'm a little anxious about that one, I guess, because I am heavier than I ideally should be, and being an older mum, that theoretically increases my risk for stuff like that. Fingers crossed I pass the first glucose test so I don't have to take the second!

I feel huge. For the first time in my life my boobs looks small (relatively speaking). And I think I may also be getting the first of the stretch marks under my navel: little tiny purple marks almost like bruising than proper stretch marks. Still haven't got the line yet. I wonder if I will or not?

We've been lazy in getting Appleseed's room prepared - it still looks like a bomb's hit it. But because we have to take stiff out the the bungalow, its a little weather dependent. I plan to start going through some stuff this weekend, though, being a bit more ruthless than I'd ideally like to be, just to get it started. (I have too much craft stuff anyway) Then it should just be a matter of N moving the boxes outside. Once that's done, we can start to get the furniture organsied...
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Tue Jun 26, 2012 01:08 PM
I got the linea negra with both Digory and Evie, but with Charlotte it didn't show up until maybe the last week or so that I was pregnant! Now it's there and VERY defined, but throughout my actual pregnancy it wasn't there from what I could see. As far as I'm aware that's not common, though. Can't wait until my hormones settle down again so it'll fade away.
On Thu Jun 28, 2012 05:36 AM
That's quite odd that it showed up so late for Charlotte compared to the others - for some reason (although I know every pregnancy is different!) I sort of figured that it'd appear about the same time with each one.

Out of curiosity - is it just a pigmented line, or can you actually feel it (like a stretchmark or differently textured skin something)?
On Sat Jun 30, 2012 05:03 AM
Had the Glucose Challenge Test today. (That sounds like it should be either an extreme sport [like Tough Mudda] or a game show with a name like that.)

I googled the test beforehand, so was mentally preparing myself for some vile syrupy stuff and to be quite ill while I waited the hour. How wrong I was. The 300ml drink tasted like flat Sprite, which was no biggy (I don't particularly care for carbonated beverages at the best of times), and the worst I felt during the whole hour was a slight headache... potentially from the bad daytime tv in the corner.

Doc told me not to fast beforehand (I had a slice of toast for breakfast), so perhaps that's the difference between my experience and the general internet's one. Afterwards, N took me out for brunch. :D

I think the round ligaments are stretching and pulling again - yesterday I had pretty bad stretchy/achey/crampy pains in my lower belly - worse when I stood up. It could have even been something as stupid as gravity kicking in and me forgetting to wear something to support The Belly (because maternity tights just aren't supportive!). Whatever it was, I very nearly hobbled across to the nearby hospital to get checked out before it eased back. Today it's not so bad, but still sore (despite wearing a support band), so I'm taking it easy.

Feet up, because I'm starting to get cankles (oh no)!
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3643, member since Sat Sep 20, 2003
On Sat Jun 30, 2012 02:27 PM
Ugh, I HATED my glucose tests. For some reason they were always such a shock to my system. With Digory I did a fasting one, and with Evelyn I just had some toast like you, but either way I felt like I was about to die or something!

It's just a pigmented line. I noticed yesterday that it's starting to fade a bit, finally. It's funny because I made so many predictions about my pregnancy, birth and recovery from my experience with Digs and Evie and some of them were spot on, but others were WAYYY off.
On Tue Jul 03, 2012 09:10 PM
Edited by Caffeine (183827) on 2012-07-03 22:19:32 youtube
Oh... frak, feck, poo, bother, bum!

Just got word that N's job has fallen through. Bugger, bugger, bugger, poo! I may need to rethink my maternity leave plans now that we can't count on that source of income.

Poo, bollocks, shite.

Balls.

I suppose things were going too smoothly, weren't they? I guess it's just another reminder that nothing ever really goes to plan...

Otherwise, though, all is good. I'm officially in the 3rd trimester now, at 27 weeks. Feeling HUGE and stretched tight and slow and awkward, but at the same time it's amazing feeling/watching Appleseed move - still low for the most part, but a few rib-tickles in there today as well. Appleseed is giving me reflux most nights (like morning sickness, it's worst in the evening for me), so smaller meals and nibblies are the go.

I got a good chunk of the spare room cleared out last weekend. Would have done more, but we lost power for the majority of the day, and it was cold sorting stuff in the bungalow. And I'm making good progress on the blankie I'm knitting.

Now we just need to deal with this onion in the ointment...

[edit] Just saw that one of the private hospitals I was considering is closing down its maternity ward. Thank goodness I decided not to go there!
On Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:03 AM
Don't mess with a hormonal, pregnant woman.

OK, this is a minor trivial rant, but it's something that's been building for a while, and I think this weekend was the final straw.

Don't mess with a hormonal, pregnant woman.

Don't ask how she's feeling then laugh it off because you/your partner hasn't experienced XYZ.

Don't laugh if she mentions some of the less-pleasant parts of pregnancy she's experiencing, and say "just you wait".

Don't call her fat and make continual references to her "gut".

Don't call her lazy if her feet are swollen and she needs to elevate them for a while.

Don't ignore her cues that she's getting pissed off.

I think I copped all of that on Friday night, when Appleseed was kicking and sitting awkwardly, I was in pain (headache, back and pelvis), I'd been on my feet for ages and hadn't even been home from work and been able to relax. And I copped it all from my in-laws.

"How are you feeling?"
"Tired..." (I'd had a long day - a long week, actually -, my train had been cancelled, and I was worn out)
"Lazy sheila, you just wait until the baby is out!"
"..."

"Get a load of that gut! Hahahahahahahaha!"
"..."

(During a discussion about Star Trek, in which N mentioned an episode I must've slept through)
"Why do you sleep through Star Trek? Do yo find it that boring?"
"It was first-trimester fatigue"
"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA! Poor dear - do you have second trimester fatigue now?"
"No, I'm in my thi-"
"Oooo! Third trimester fatigue? Oh my! HAHAHAHA!"
"..."

When we left, I was pissed off. I'm sick of laughing off insults. The only person I want commenting on the size of my belly is N - because I know he does it with love and wonder at the life we created growing inside it, not for a cheap laugh. MiL may not have had morning sickness/the early fatigue, but that's no reason for them to mock how I've been feeling - after all every pregnancy is different. And FiL wondered why I elected to keep cleaning instead of sitting down to visit when he dropped by on Saturday. (Actually, his exact words were "Where is that lazy sheila? Still in bed?")

Grr.

Normally their hearts are in the right place, but some days.... Grrrr
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6075, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Sun Jul 08, 2012 03:47 AM
Caffeine wrote:

"Lazy sheila, you just wait until the baby is out!"
"..."

"Get a load of that gut! Hahahahahahahaha!"

Are you freaking kidding me? I admire your self control...I would have backhanded those fools so hard they'd land halfway around the world. Ugh. I'm sorry you have to deal with crap like that, especially from people who are supposed to be your family. :?
On Mon Jul 09, 2012 06:29 AM
I wish I was kidding, I really do. But all that is pretty much verbatim. Stony silence was the only response I could give, although I did let N know after the fact that I really didn't appreciate those sorts of comments (and he was glad I told hom the and there rather than letting it fester like I usually do). Hopefully he had a quiet word with his dad when I wasn't around - we'll find out when I next see them, I guess.

We've been given a deadline for when Good Friend S wants to get rid of her babystuff: this coming Sunday. (eek!) So I've been spending all the free time I clearing clearing out the spare room. There still seems to be so much to do! We can't get rid of the single bed in there (that will eventually become Appleseed's bed when it outgrows the cot), and there's a table and set of steel shelves that I have nowhere to put - but want gone because they're taking up space I want to use.

The spare room was my craft room for a while, and I'm actually shocked at how much stuff I've already cleaned out/got rid of/sorted and filed. I've been trying to be ruthless with my culling. But I know I bought X fabric because I planned to make Y out of it; and I have unearthed a cool collection of vintage (1970's) trims and braids from my grandma.. not to mention laces and ribbons and beads and embroideries and and... ARGH! While I have made progress, it feels a bit like shuffling deckchairs on the Titanic. If I go awol, a cephalopod of ribbons has caught me it its satiny tentacles...

I've been wondering what position Appleseed is in lately. If what I think are hiccups are, they're very low down between my hips, and the kicks can be anywhere at all! (note to self: buy a pack of Maltesers for kicks and giggles). So far my ribs have been spared a beating, but it's still early days yet. Next OB appointment is this coming Wednesday, so if I remember, maybe I'll ask then (along with the list of other things I need to ask about).
On Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:55 AM
Well, I don't know if N said anything or not, but when FiL dropped by yesterday morning (I tool the day off for the OB appt) he didn't say a word, so there's hope yet. :D

The OB appt went well - a different midwife did all my measurements and tests (BP good; no sign of pre-eclampsia yay!; Appleseeds heartbeat good and strong) and showed me how to work out which way Appleseed is lying at any given moment (yesterday was curled along my right hand side - no wonder I feel lumpy!).

I mentioned my current major concerns to the OB when he came in. The pelvic pain is most likely ligaments stretching, but he recommends I see a physio to assess it (which is good - next week I'm booked in to see the hospital's prenatal physio anyway). I had a few concerns about some OTC medication I'd taken, but he was fine with them all, and finally, I mentioned a mole that I had which was changing. Rapidly.

I'd read that moles can swell and change during pregnancy, so I'm less concerned about skin cancer and more concerned about how BIG this one has got... especially given that it's in an uncomfortable place. OB had a look, and his first comment was "That's not a mole, that's a skin tag!" No... that was a brown mole before I got pregnant. I've had it forever. Then he suggested it could possibly be a nipple, because it's on the milk line, and the hormones are making it swell. O.O

But whatever it is, he said the location of it is just going to cause me problems, so why not come in tomorrow and get it removed? Fine by me! I thought he'd just say to keep an eye on it, and after Appleseed is out if it's still big he'd send me to a skin specialist, but instead he's just going to whip it out in his clinic this afternoon. Yay!

===

And on a completely different topic: what is it with other women sharing birth horror stories? I was at a friend's place last night, and towards the end of the evening it was all one-upmanship and "my horror story of the hospital forgetting me and having to give birth [somewhere inappropriate] beats your 18 hour labour when the pain meds didn't work". Sheesh. No wonder so many women are terrified of labour when those around them are intent on scaring the pants off them! (One mum did apologise when she remember I'm still pregnant, and wished me a happy, easy birth. Another gust gave an evil, evil, doom-filled laugh.)

I refuse to be scared by them - I figure that was their experience - I've got a great doc, a good hospital with lovely midwives, and I trust they'll get me and Appleseed through this without a problem. Chill.
re: Planting an Appleseed (karma: 1)
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6075, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Thu Jul 12, 2012 02:40 AM
Caffeine wrote:

No wonder so many women are terrified of labour when those around them are intent on scaring the pants off them!

Yes! Seriously. I've gotten more and more interested in the pregnancy & birthing process over the last few years, and for me, this is one of the most frustrating parts about the medicalization of birth (at least the way it's medicalized in my country; I confess I'm totally uneducated about birth in Australia). Most births are NOT the crazy, loud, terrifying horror stories shown in popular media. I mean, sure, women moan and yell and stuff, but if you were pushing out a human being out of your body, you'd be making some weird noises too! I can't stand that trend; it really helps absolutely no one.

I refuse to be scared by them - I figure that was their experience - I've got a great doc, a good hospital with lovely midwives, and I trust they'll get me and Appleseed through this without a problem. Chill.

Also remember that your body knows what it's doing. You've got a great team of people behind you, of course, but you know yourself and your body's needs. With all that positivity going on, I'm sure your birth will go just fine. :)
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7113, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Thu Jul 12, 2012 05:12 AM
A positive birth story, to balance the scary ones out:

My mother-in-law has six children. Not one of her births lasted longer then 4 hours. And these were 9 pound babies.

She said that, with my husband (who was her first baby), she'd been feeling uncomfortable all day and it wasn't until later that she looked back and realised she'd been feeling uncomfortable at regular intervals. For the rest of her children, she didn't even have that. She won't deny it hurt, but it wasn't the stuff of horror movies.

Now, granted, that is freakish (lol), but you have no idea how your body will react to labour. You're just as likely to have an easy, short labour as you are a long, difficult one. So I thought you might appreciate hearing about a positive birth that wasn't terrifying :)
On Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:15 PM
Edited by Caffeine (183827) on 2012-07-11 23:29:51
Thanks! :D

Speaking of crazy, loud, horrifying, messy experiences: the suspected superfluous third nipple is gone! My original appointment was meant to be later this afternoon, but the clinic called me and bumped me forward a couple of hours - glad I took the day of f work!

(Despite being the sort of person who cries when they stub their toe) I must have some sort of weird pain tolerance, because OB and Midwife kept commenting on what a good patient I was. Sure, anaesthetic stings (as needles in sensitive areas do - and this was on my bikini line), but yelling, screaming and flailing about aren't going to help, so just relaaaax. Chat to the doc/midwife, crack a few jokes, and let them do their thing.

Hopefully that pain tolerance/attitude will stand me in good stead in a couple of months time!

OB showed me after he'd cut it out: the thing was HUGE! No wonder it was getting in my way. He sent it off for analysis because I think we're all curious to know just what it actually was. Three stitches later, and it's all done. I go back next week to make sure it's healing ok (and hopefully find out what it was). The whole procedure - from start to finish (including paying and teeing up the next appt) took about half an hour.

I may be walking funny for a bit longer than that...
On Sun Jul 15, 2012 06:58 PM
Edited by Caffeine (183827) on 2012-07-15 19:09:12
S, C, and their four-year-old girls came round yesterday for Stage One of the furniture drop. So of course, I spent all Saturday and Sunday before they arrived cleaning out more of the room (there's still so much to do!). I was making progress, but with the BabyStuff in there, it doesn't look like it!

We now have a bassinet on wheels, a mosquito net on a frame, a change table and a rocking chair. Not to mention a ton of smaller things that were dumped in the bassinet that I haven't even looked at yet. Cot and babyprison still to come (we really need to get rid of that table and shelves!) And we still need to organise the pram, carseat, and goodness knows what else I am in denial about having to buy...

One thing I noticed when the girls were here was that we need to babyproof. To a point. We also need to house-proof our baby, so we can take it places that haven't been babyproofed. After all, the world isn't babyproof! (We'll also need to work on getting the cats at least baby-resistant.)

My stitches seem to be healing nicely. Still quite sore due to the placement of them, but all going well I should have them out on Thursday. And Appleseed is squirming like there's no tomorrow: its current favourite games appear to be either CervixStomping (ow!!) or Doing A Barrel Roll (where it feels like big bubbles (or body parts) moving slooooowly under the skin as it rolls over).

The date for the babyshower has been set, too: mid-August. I did (and will continue to) stress to SiL that I want it to be a celebration of the baby, not a present-grab. Because I hate the thought of inviting people just to buy me stuff, and I know family members who have been amazingly generous already will decline because they don't want to be obligated. I'd much rather celebratory tea and cupcakes, and maybe a couple of cute decorate-the-jumpsuit type games, but we'll see...
By ballerinatwirler Comments: 2083, member since Sat May 29, 2004
On Mon Jul 16, 2012 01:36 AM
Here's a couple of birth stories that won't freak you out. My cousin's water broke at 1:30 AM and she headed to the hospital around 5:00 AM and didn't have any pain until 7:00 AM and the baby was born at 8:00AM. My whole family was amazed by how fast the baby was born. She also had no epidural.

My one friend started having minor cramps on Black Friday and continued with her shopping and eventually headed to the hospital and had her baby a few hours later. She felt amazing after he was born and actually begged for visitors because she was so bored at the hospital.
On Tue Jul 17, 2012 06:11 AM
Edited by Caffeine (183827) on 2012-07-17 06:16:02
Spoke too soon about the stitches. I've pulled the middle one, and it hurts like a mother. Add that to the general ligament-stretching-pelvic pain, and I'm in a world of hurt if I, you know, move or anything. Thankfully they come out in two days time, so hopefully I'll stop walking funny.

Had my "prenatal physio" session tonight. Not what I expected. I expected 1:1 time with a physiotherapist, working on exercises to help me move better and dealing with my own individual aches and pains. In reality (as I discovered when another couple rocked up carrying a pillow while we were trying to find the entrance to the centre) it was a group information session talking about back/pelvic pain, and positions for labour. And pelvic floor muscles. Essentially, it was a prequel to the Official Antenatal Workshop we'll attend in a couple of weeks, just with less videos.

I did learn that those support shorts I was contemplating are a bit of a waste of money, and the TENS machine for pain relief is A Good Idea. But for the rest it was mostly being talked at with a model of a pelvis and "your body will naturally want to squat/kneel/walk around the block, so just go with your instincts" (with a side of slight patronising to the guys in the room).

Oh, and 29 weeks today!
By Tishwah Comments: 586, member since Sun May 17, 2009
On Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:27 PM
My mother uses a TENS machine frequently (for non labour related chronic pain) and swears by it!
On Thu Jul 19, 2012 03:45 AM
^ I've used a TENS machine at a regular physio to treat an injury - after you get used to the pins-and-needles sensation, it's not too bad. Good to know they're useful for chronic pain, too. Definitely something I'm going to look into further.

I got my stitches out this morning, and it turns out I'm not a freak after all. :) I had to go to my GP rather than the OB because he had a family emergency (unavoidable, and completely understandable), but it was good to check in with the GP anyway. GP went through the pathology report with me*, then sent me round to the nurses station to get the stitches cut out. Apparently I heal very quickly - they were rather difficult to remove!

* Turned out the thing was a "benign mature intradermal compound naevus". From googling, I figure this means it's a mole/birthmark/thing (naevus) with lots of "nests" of cells (compound) growing from the dermal layer of skin (intradermal). It was pink and huge because it was mature, but it's nothing to worry about (benign). Less so now that it's gone. I'm almost disappointed that it wasn't something weirder!
Page:
Page 4 of 221 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 18 19 20 21 22

ReplySendWatch