Forum: Arts / Diaries

Page:
Page 6 of 22: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 19 20 21 22
re: Planting an Appleseed
By CaffeinePremium member
On Fri Aug 31, 2012 02:21 AM
Hum. Spanners have been thrown into the proverbial works at work over my position description.

All the funstuff of my job role is being farmed out to other people in the department, and the position description for my replacement is straight admin. I'm not straight admin; I've never been straight admin. I'll scream if I end up straight admin! So before I come back next year I'll have to do a ton of negotiating and rewriting and waving my last performance review documentation around (not my original position description which is 10 years out of date) in order to come back to a role that I fit into properly.

Fun.

But hopefully we'll be able to come up with a role that fits properly, not a Franken-role like I'm currently doing.
On Sun Sep 02, 2012 07:48 PM
Edited by Caffeine (183827) on 2012-09-02 19:49:52
36 weeks tomorrow; day one of mat.leave.

It's almost midday, and I'm twiddling my thumbs. It's going to be a loooooong couple of weeks before Appleseed makes an appearance! Second load of washing is done, and I know I *should* be cleaning and tidying, but I really can't be bothered right now. Laziness, thy name is Caffeine. :D

We bought the car seat yesterday. Cost a little more than we had intended to spend, but it covers from birth right through to 8years, and the company has a good reputation for safety. And because it covers such a broad range of ages, it means we won't be forking out a ton of $$ with a capsule, then a car seat, then a booster seat as Appleseed grows. Still need to get it fitted (I'm pretty sure I know where the anchor points are, so thats a plus), but at least we have it. One less thing to worry about.

I'll be going with mum this week sometime to buy the pram, too. I've changed my mind from the Babyjogger CitySelect and am now going to go for the Steelcraft StriderPlus. Both convertible, both fold down easily, but the Steelcraft is a fraction of the price!

Then that's all the Big Stuff organised. After that, it's just a matter of cleaning and nesting (and knitting and resting).

Remember how last week I figured out it was Bio-Oil making my stretchmarks itch like mad? I may have been a little presumptuous in thinking I'd got it sorted: Thursday night I had a maddening little itch on the back of my ankle. Thought maybe it was a bug bite, or the cats had fleas or something, but no. Nothing as simple as that! The one little rashy, lumpy, itchyspot spread, fast: late Thursday my thighs were intensely itchy, on Friday night my forearms were itchy and covered in teeny little welts, and it got to the point on Sunday morning where it looked like my limbs were covered in measles, and I wanted to scratch my skin off with a spork.

I've had measles and chickenpox, so I know it's not that. Initial thought was a bug bite: but bites don't spread like that. Allergy to food/lotion/detergent? Nothing has changed in that regard. Stress? Possibly, but I don't feel stressed. Heat rash? While it does get worse when warm it flares up when its cold, too. So it *has* to be pregnancy-related. Which makes me suspect PUPPPS after all. :? This sounds way too familiar for my liking. I tried calling the OB's office for advice, but couldn't get through. So I guess I'll just have to exercise extreme willpower not to scratch these insanely madeningly intensely itchy patches until I see him on Friday.

... or wear cotton mittens to stop myself scratching.
On Wed Sep 05, 2012 02:57 AM
We got the pram!

Actually, it may have been touch and go whether we got it yesterday or not - who knew you couldn't just walk up to the counter and say "I want that one!" and take it home then and there? Noo. Nothing that simple, of course.
"We may not have any in stock, at all - when do you need it by?"
"I'm due in 4 weeks"
"... You're cutting it fine. I'll see what they have in the warehouse."
Cue phone call to back-of-store. With luck they had one left in my colour preference! So I am now the proud owner of a yet-to-be-unboxed pram. I was surprised they were all but sold out of them though - there's a HUGE baby boom in my area, and (silly me) I thought they'd order more from a central warehouse/supply area as they got sold. But what do I know about warehousing and stock management?

Aside from the pram, Mum and I had a fun day of shopping for baby clothes. So. Much. SQUEE! I did break my own rule of "no licenced products * " when I saw some Very Hungry Caterpillar outfits. OMG, I think I nearly imploded with the cuteness. (I don't know what's happened to me, either. I was never into squeeing over babystuff.) We left the shops with a bulging (new) nappy bag and bucket filled with stuff. And the pram, of course.

I've done nothing so far today. I was knackered after walking N to the station, so have been taking it easy. After lunch I might attack another part of the house to be sorted. Or I might bake. Or both. Neither. Something. It's too easy to waste the days right now!

I have ordered my TENS machine for labour, though. I bought one, rather than hire one (worked out cheaper, especially if we have another baby down the track), so now it's a waiting game: estimated 10-24 days delivery. If that's not cutting it close, I don't know what is!

Pic2 is my belly, complete with stretchmarks as of this afternoon. Pic 3 is the rash on my legs. And that's when they're not aggravated. When they are, the welts become red and raised and hot and burn like a thousand thousand mosquito bites. Two more days until the OB appt, and we can see if he can recommend anything for it.

* My "no licencesd products" rule is really to avoid Dora/Cars/Pixar stuff. I don't know why but those ones in particular really really bug me.
re: Planting an Appleseed (karma: 1)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Sep 05, 2012 05:58 AM

* My "no licencesd products" rule is really to avoid Dora/Cars/Pixar stuff. I don't know why but those ones in particular really really bug me.

When your kid gets old enough that peer pressure starts to kick in (which is around four, if you do preschool/day care), or when they're old enough to get their own opinions on their stuff, good luck with that one. :/ James (who's six) isn't even in to Cars, and picked out a Cars booster seat, because it was the flashiest looking one in the place.

And the Toy Story toys, don't forget about those! We own multiples of some of those! :/ When he's the only one without a Buzz Light Year, he'll be holding your feet to the fire. :) They have a way of doing that to you. :D
On Wed Sep 05, 2012 09:22 AM
^ LOL - Oh, I know! :D And I know that no matter how hard I try to hold out, I'm going to cave eventually. But I'm going to make the most of it while I still have some sort of control over what it wears/plays with. :)
By Tishwah
On Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:02 AM
I don't think that Very Hungry Caterpillar counts as a licensed product so much as a childhood neccessity ;)
On Fri Sep 07, 2012 04:30 AM
^ LOL - I love your thinking. It's not licensed, it's literary! :D

===

Had the 36 week checkup with the doctors today. After the midwife checked the BP (130/80), the OB and a student doc came in for the regular consult and scan.

First thing the doc said when I put my legs up on the couch: "What is that?!"
Yes, I was wearing a skirt, and showing the rash. :D
So I gave the brief history of it, he checked out my arms and back and had a closer look at my legs, then turned to the student doc and said, "Well?"
StudentDoc looked flummoxed. He asked me a few more questions ("Are they itchy?" "How bearable is the itch?" "Do the little lumpy bits ooze clear stuff or bleed?" "Does it keep you awake at night?" etc) I think he knew what it was, but it was filed in his brain somewhere that wouldn't give him the answer.
When StudentDoc couldn't diagnose it, OB stepped in, and said "You've got PUPPP."
I figured. He asked what I'd been using on it so far - aloe vera and mylanta to calm it down - and said to keep on with that, and take an antihistamine as well.
If it's worse when I see him next week, he may want to induce me early. Eep! :O I'm glad I got the babyroom set up yesterday!

Aside from the PUPPP, all is as it should be. Appleseed is head down, and raring to go, and we got to see its little face and spine and heart during the scan. My GP is predicting an 8.something pound baby; OB reckons closer to 9. We'll see who was right when it comes out.
By ConUnaSonrisamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Sep 07, 2012 08:31 PM
So exciting! I had no indications that I'd go early, but my little guy showed up at 37 weeks 3 days! Yours might be here so soon!! :)
On Sun Sep 09, 2012 03:36 AM
^ I've had a feeling for a while that it'd be early, but it's a scary though that within about 3 weeks it'll be here! It's exciting as well, and I'm sure it'll be fun once we know what we're doing, but I'm still so disorganised...! :)

===

Got the cot yesterday. We were having a Saturday morning sleepin when my phone rang: S has the cot, and can they call past on their way home to drop it off? Um, OK.

And then the house was full of people: S, C and their twins rocked up with the cot and babyprison (aka playpen) closely followed by N's folks coming down for a visit. N was on kid-warangling duty because he gave them blue cordial, so I got to sit and chat for a while, which was nice.

After everyone left, we put the cot together, played a bit more Furniture Tetris to get it to fit, and I had the fun task of cleaning it up and trying to remove the tape residue from the wood with eucalyptus oil. (It had been taped up with packing tape and stored in a garage for a while). Fun. The house stank of eucalyptus oil all night! If we'd had it sooner, I would have wanted to paint it, as some of the paint on it s a little chipped, but time is ticking and that's no longer an option anymore. I just need to get it all set up and done.

So my list of Things to Do Next week:
~ wash everything, especially the TinyBabyClothes

~ Start organising hospital bag.* Hard, as some of the things I'll need to take are currently in use, but I need to get that ready!

~ And speaking of which: find some pretty nursing sleepwear for hospital stay and at home. Purely a vanity thing, but I want (affordable!) pretty things I can lounge in, in case visitors arrive and I'm not out of bed.

~ Get cot sheets. MiL made sheet sets, but I think they'll only be big enough for the bassinet, not the cot.

~ Finish cleaning and tidying. Mum is coming round again next week to help me get this happening, as N is busy with assignments and I just can't do it by myself anymore.

~ REST! I feel so lazy saying this, but I had three really full-on days in a row, and could barely get myself off the babyroom floor after cleaning the cot last night. Must take it easy. And finish knitting that blankie.

Who said the "nesting" period was all beer and skittles?

* Out of curiosity, what (and how many) did you pack in your own hospital bags?
By ConUnaSonrisamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Sep 10, 2012 01:11 AM
I was really disorganized too :) I didn't even have a hospital bag ready when I started going into labor!

laptop and charger
phone and charger

a go-home outfit for the baby (with socks, mittens, and a blanket)
make sure your car seat is installed! (I'm not sure if you've already done that; I apologize if you have lol)

your toiletries and comfy clothes
socks and slippers especially!
your own pillow and blanket

For the things that you can't pack right now, I would write a list on the corner of your bathroom mirror in dry-erase marker, so that way you won't forget anything when you're rushing around last minute :)
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Sep 10, 2012 01:40 AM
I brought my laptop but the stupid hospital charged for internet access... so didn't use it.

I packed wayyy too much stuff in my bag... really it was just comfy clothes, toiletries, some stuff for baby like wipes, diapers etc... clothes for baby. CAMERA! must have. Something to pass the time, book, gameboy something like that, again something I packed but didn't use. Pillow was a definate must, those things are like gold in hospitals. Make sure you use a color other than white for your pillow case
On Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:07 PM
Edited by Caffeine (183827) on 2012-09-10 00:17:36 added something
Thanks, girls. :) I don't feel so bad for having a profound lack of organisation skills now! (Everyone else looks at me horrified when I tell them I don't have a bag packed yet) I've at least got the bag itself out of storage, so that's a start, right? ;)

We still haven't fitted the car seat. Or assembled the pram. N is going to do that (hopefully) this weekend, but we need to decide which car it's going to go into. My car was set up the be the default Baby-Mobile, but we might be loaning it to SiL-C for a couple of weeks, as hers was written off last night in an accident. :( (She's OK though!)

The most productive I've been today has been to do washing. My washline is FULL of babystuff. With the exception of hats, socks and bibs (which I omitted because I ran out of pegs), everything else baby has been washed: sheets, towels, nappies, singlets, leggings, growsuits, swaddles, sleepingbags - phew! I've got stuff from tiny 00000 (newborn) through to 00 (approx 6-12mths) and everything in between, so I shouldn't need to buy any clothes for Appleseed for nearly a year. Me, on the other hand - I'm still searching for nursing sleepwear.

The TENS machine arrived this afternoon. Because it was coming from the UK, I was worried it wouldn't make it here on time, but thankfully it did. It worked out cheaper to buy a brand new one outright from ebay than to hire one locally, which is mad. This way I'm at least not out of pocket a huge amount (even if I get some of it back as a refund), and I can hang onto it for the next little sprout whenever that may be.

And in more good news, the antihistamines seem to be working. The PUPPPS rash still looks awful, but it doesn't itch anywhere near as bad, and I'm not scratching as much. Be interesting to see what OB says about it and the whole potential-induction thing on Friday.

[edit]
I stumbled across this article in the newspaper this afternoon:
Pregnancy pageants
Essentially discussing the "horror" of heavily pregnant women entering a pageant. Bah humbug. I reckon it's got nothing to do with sexualising pregnancy and everything to do with promoting confidence and allowing oneself to be proud of one's body despite feeling like a whale! Thoughts?
By TuniePremium member
On Mon Sep 10, 2012 02:37 PM
ConUnaSonrisa wrote:

For the things that you can't pack right now, I would write a list on the corner of your bathroom mirror in dry-erase marker, so that way you won't forget anything when you're rushing around last minute :)

This is BRILLIANT. I might not put it on the bathroom mirror though - there is potential for the steam in there to make the marker run, which may stain the frame of the mirror... and also may make it illegible when you need to dash, thus defeating the purpose LOL.
On Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:58 AM
37+2.

Hum. Things may or may not be starting to get interesting...

Spoilered for some gross TMI stuff

Spoiler: Show

* Monday evening, I had a bit of pinkish discharge. I've been a bit gooey throughout the pregnancy (OB is not concerned at all), but aside from the spotting in first trimester, it's never been pink. "Show" perhaps?
* Digestive system is all up the proverbial creek. I haven't eaten anything to give that reaction, so perhaps the body is prepping itself?
* Sweating profusely at night. I thought it was because I put a waterproof thingy under the sheet (just in case I go *pop* overnight!), and that was making me too hot, but even on cold nights I'm drenched.
* Lower back pain. Thought yesterday it was a case of having done too much the day before, but it's still playing up today. Maybe I was sitting funny with the cat on my knee, but then that'd be constant discomfort, rather than coming in waves.
* Mild pelvic/lower abdominal pain when I stand. Appleseed has always been low, so I can't tell if it's dropped or not.

All of that could easily be explained away by other things, but it seems too coincidental with timing. Or I'm just reading into things more than I should be.

I'm going to speak to the OB about it all at my appointment first thing tomorrow.

But will pack a bag for labour today... just in case. I can do the bag for the 4-day hospital stay later - or N can grab stuff for me - but I'll be happier if I have the bag o' labour stuff ready. Got my TENS machine already, what else....?
By twinkletoes08member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Sep 13, 2012 09:59 AM
I just want to say good luck! It's the first time I've ever read this diary! I hope everything runs smoothly! :)
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:47 PM
Ooh good luck Caffeine! Sending happy thoughts your way!
On Fri Sep 14, 2012 02:59 AM
Thanks! :D At this point in time, though, it was a false alarm.

Spoke to the OB this morning, and he's still happy with my progress (although the midwives were apparently taking bets as to whether I'd be there or not!). BP all good, Appleseed's heartbeat is still about 125-130bpm even though it's not as active these days.* No more talk of induction, just wait and see when the Appleseed wants to make an appearance.

Spoiler: Show

~ He confirmed the tinted goo was most likely a bit of "show" (what a silly word for goo!), so the cervix is doing what the cervix is meant to be doing.
~ Night sweats are common now because the hormone levels are pretty much the highest they're going to get for the pregnancy.
~ Back pain he initially said was just because Appleseed is getting heavier, but when I mentioned they were coming in waves he paused. "Oh," he said. "It could just be the Braxton Hicks ramping up, OR you could be a lucky one who feels labour more in your back. Just keep monitoring it."

So really it's a waiting game. Sitting and twiddling my thumbs and waiting...

* "The calm before the storm" OB called it. As long as it's doing about 10 movements in 12 hours, it's all good.
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Sep 14, 2012 04:15 AM
I'm so excited! I know I've lurked your diary, but I can't wait to meet Appleseed! I'm getting boy vibes & I'm 4 for 4, so maybe I'm right. Can't wait for the next update.
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Sep 14, 2012 02:04 PM
I'm also a huge lurker, and I'm so excited for you! I'm glad Appleseed is doing his healthy baby thing!

Ooh, I said his. I'm joining Pinup, voting for boy!
By Tishwah
On Sun Sep 16, 2012 01:04 PM
And of course now if you don't post hourly, we are all going to assume you have gone into labour!
On Mon Sep 17, 2012 01:35 AM
^ LMAO! No such luck, I'm afraid!

I sort of want it to happen sooner rather than later, because the waiting is driving me mad. :D I've done about all I can do with the room, my bags are packed (barring stuff that's still being worn), and all I can do is wait. At least it gives me time to work on knitting that blankie I started months ago...

My back was absolutely killing me last night, but I don't know if it's because I was lying funny (the cat took up most of the bed) or if it was something that I should be paying attention to. But once I got up and started moving around this morning it seemed to lessen, so presumably it's still the Braxton-Hickes. We shall see...

As for the Boy/Girl speculation, SO many people have said they think it's going to be a boy, that I sort of want to be perverse and have it turn out to be NotBoy. :P (We don't even have boys names picked out yet!) But really, healthy is all I'm really hoping for.

38 weeks tomorrow!
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Sep 17, 2012 02:37 PM
Hang in there! I can't believe you're so close! Just a few more weeks (at most). Just remember to relax for the next couple of weeks so you're not exhausted when Appleseed makes their grand appearance :) I'm so excited for you!
On Tue Sep 18, 2012 09:34 AM
Thanks! :) It's still hard to get my head around the fact that in a few weeks max there'll be a whole new person to take care of!

I'm just posting a quick update to let people know there is still no update. :P Pretty bad back pain again today, but nothing else really of note (unless you call flaking on the sofa all day noteworthy).

I am almost too big to drive my own car though: Two fingers' width between belly and steering wheel, which is down from the three fingers last Friday. At this rate I'll need Greenpeace to roll me to the hospital! I feel beached az, bro!

Totally over being pregnant and sore now. (I used to wonder about those who got so far and were then sick of being preggers... now I know!) The waiting is interminable...
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:13 AM
You want a chup?

(I love that you shared that, I have a few friends who actually sound like the beached whale, lol)

Thinking of you during this sore and annoying waiting time. Bubs will be here before you know it ;)
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Wed Sep 19, 2012 07:52 AM
Caffeine wrote:

I am almost too big to drive my own car though: Two fingers' width between belly and steering wheel, which is down from the three fingers last Friday.

Ha! I'm down to one finger at 30 weeks! I'm having to wear platform shoes just so I can put the seat back another notch so I have 3 fingers distance.

Helen
Page:
Page 6 of 22: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 19 20 21 22

ReplySendWatch