Forum: Arts / Diaries

Page:
Page 7 of 22: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 19 20 21 22
re: Planting an Appleseed
By CaffeinePremium member
On Thu Sep 20, 2012 09:43 PM
It's probably nothing, but for those of you playing at home, I've been awake since 2am (it's 7:30 am local time as I type this), with almost relentless waves of intense lower back pain. Ow. And nausea. And lower abdominal cramping when upright. Ow!

Initially thought back pain was from overdoing it yesterday, and the cramping from wind, but who knows? After all, I've had the cramps for a day or so already. Got OB appt in a few hours, so have been gritting my teeth and hanging on - after all, it's been a textbook perfect pregnancy so far: why should the end be any different?

Possibly just another false alarm, but wanted to share another warts-and-all update in the spirit of documenting *everything*. And in case it's the real thing this time round...
On Fri Sep 21, 2012 02:29 AM
**UPDATE**

Had the OB appointment, and after telling him about my interminable night of constant back pain, not to mention the cramping and all that jazz, he examined me. First off, BP is perfect, and Appleseed's heartbeat is 131bpm - also perfect.

Me on the other hand:

Spoiler: Show
Cervix is partially dilated, the head is well and truly engaged (he could feel it!), and he did a stretch and sweep. Uncomfortable, but could be worse!
If that doesn't trigger true labour this weekend, I'll be induced on Wednesday afternoon.

(OB looked at us both and said "What do you want to do?" I, jokingly replied, "Well, next week is the most convenient time for us!" so Wednesday it is!)

Eep.

Is now the wrong time to say I *really* don't feel grown-up enough to be responsible for this whole new life? I'm as ready as I can be - bags are packed, room is done - but the whole prospect is so daunting, exciting, terrifying - wow. :O
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Sep 21, 2012 02:44 AM
You are definitely ready. I can tell just by your posts on here that you and N are ready to be parents. And even if you don't feel it, it'll work out. Every time someone's nervous about having a baby, I always remember something I've heard Theresa say on here: really, all a baby needs is to be fed and changed. If you can take care of its basic, basic needs, that's half the battle right there, right?

You can do eet! :)
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Sep 21, 2012 03:23 AM
So close! I'm so excited for you :) If it, makes any difference, I have full confidence that you're going to be a fantastic mother. And I can promise that when all else fails, instinct will kick in. Good luck, and I'll be sending great labor vibes your This weekend!
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Sep 22, 2012 08:45 AM
Just be careful with induction - syntocinon (the drug they use to induce) often causes foetal distress, which means you'll end up with an "emergency" caesarean, whether you want one or not. Not sure what you are planning for your birth, but it's worth reading up on induction if it looks like that's what you're facing.

There are plenty of ways to naturally induce labour too, if you want some ideas to avoid the syntocinon.

Helen
On Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:42 AM
Thanks for the votes of confidence, Cien and Nyssa! I feel a little better now we've done the car seat and the pram... Not much, but a little! :P

Helen, the OB said if they have to induce on wednesday, they'll use the prostaglandin gel - twice, seven hours apart - and if that doesn't take, he'll manually break my waters on thursday morning. I'm not too fazed if I end up needing a cesar... perhaps I'm putting too much faith in the doctors, but all my birth plan really involves is bringing home a healthy baby! :)

And if anyone is interested in my progress so far: definitely had the show this weekend (what I thought was it last week was barely anything compared to this!), Applesed has dropped, and the back pain on friday night was enough to get the tens machine out. But still no labour... Yet.
On Sun Sep 23, 2012 08:38 AM
How many weeks are you? I didn't think you were 40 yet...

Really crossing my fingers for you that baby comes on its own when it's ready and that it's a really good experience for all three of you (mum, dad & bub).

Helen
On Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:06 PM
Thanks! I hope so, too. :)

I'll be 39 weeks next week. When I said that next week would be nice and convenient, I really didn't think the doc would've taken me seriously and offered to induce because of that! But I think the combination of the near-constant waves of lower back pain (back contractions?) last Friday morning and the PUPPS and the size of Appleseed and all that, he figured we might as well go sooner rather than later.

N and I tried to induce the old-fashioned way this evening (because it would be preferable to go naturally), and I've got some slight bleeding. Hmm. If it hasn't settled down before I go to bed tonight, I'm going to call the hospital.. just in case.
On Sun Sep 23, 2012 06:38 PM
Waters broke @ 12:30 am; went to hospital as directed, but sent home @ 1:45 ciz baby good. Told to try and sleep, and to come back when contractoons more frequent/intense.

Its 4:40 am & i'm feeling the contrax in my back -how the heck can people sleep thru this?!
On Sun Sep 23, 2012 07:57 PM
Yayayay! Good Luck! I'll be sending easy labor vibes your way :)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Sep 23, 2012 09:48 PM
Caffeine wrote:

Waters broke @ 12:30 am; went to hospital as directed, but sent home @ 1:45 ciz baby good. Told to try and sleep, and to come back when contractoons more frequent/intense.

Its 4:40 am & i'm feeling the contrax in my back -how the heck can people sleep thru this?!

My labor was not of the variety that I could sleep through contractions (when my contractions STARTED, they were 2 minutes long with 30 seconds between one and the next. Evidentally, when James decided he wanted out, he wasn't playin'...), but my SIL swears that she could. I don't know how people do it either.

Good luck, I hope you're holding a happy, healthy baby right now! :)
On Mon Sep 24, 2012 01:13 AM
Is baby posterior? Get on hands and knees or leaning forward as much as possible if you're still in labour! Hoping for a nice quick one! xx

Helen
By Tishwah
On Mon Sep 24, 2012 01:22 AM
All fingers are crossed!
On Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:19 AM
Thanks everyone :)

Little Marcus [Surname] arrived safe and sound at 1:47 pm after 30 mins of pushing. Will write a proper birth story when I've got access to a pc, instead of my phone.
On Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:15 AM
Yay! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you :) enjoy your sweet boy! <3
By PinUpGirlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:10 PM
I knew it was a boy! Congrats, Mama!
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:39 PM
Congratulations to you and N and welcome little Marcus. Hooray!

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By Niennamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:55 PM
Yay happy birthday Marcus! Congratulations!!
By ConUnaSonrisamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Sep 24, 2012 02:50 PM
Congrats dear! :)
By Tishwah
On Tue Sep 25, 2012 02:15 AM
Congratulations to you and MrCaffeine! And Happy Birth Day to little Marcus
On Tue Sep 25, 2012 09:45 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Big love from us.

Helen
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 25, 2012 09:44 PM
Congratulations! And welcome to little Marcus! :)
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:30 PM
Hiii Marcus! And congratulations Mama! :D
On Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:43 PM
Thanks again, y'all :) I'm sure by now you've all seen my birth story thread, but if not, here it is again. :) Marcus is ten days old, healthy and happy, and currently purring (!) in his sleep.

He lost 330 grams before we were discharged from hospital, but when the Maternal Health nurse called around yesterday he'd gained back about 250grams. Not quite back at birth weight, but he's getting there.

According to the lactation consultant I spoke to later, that sort of weight gain is too rapid, and we must be feeding him too much (despite the hospital recommendations). Quite frankly I didn't care for her attitude - that's NOT the way to talk to anyone, especially not someone uncertain and needing help. After I got off the phone to her, I had a bit of a cry. Then I filtered her 'advice' and decided that what we're currently doing must be OK, because M is thriving. He's not an overfed lardarse, he's growing and developing, and if the nurse who actually saw him was happy then he must be OK!

I'm already back to my pre-pregnancy weight. Most of it was baby and goo anyway, but it may be coming off a little too rapidly, because I haven't increased my calorie intake for (attempted) breastfeeding - I'm simply not hungry! (Perhaps that's also a factor with the supply!)

I've been a bit more fragile than I thought I would be. Baby blues, not PPD (I hope!). Partially it's loneliness - N's back at uni this week, and the days can be quite long. And some days I just feel like I can't do anything right or I'm overtired or I feel guilty for wanting "me-time" away from M or something. Stupid little triggers that I can hide while I have visitors, but when it's just me and N ...

Sometimes it seems that the going is just too rough
And things go wrong no matter what I do
Now and then it seems that life is just too much
But you've got the love I need to see me through
On Fri Oct 05, 2012 01:15 AM
Sleep deprivation makes me hallucinate in the wee small hours. Doesn't help that Marcus looks so much like N, that I'm often convinced that he's in our bed with us. This morning I was sure I'd been nursing him in bed (good sign the milk is here, right?), but when I went to move him, he wasn't there, and I woke N to find out why.

I need more sleep.
Page:
Page 7 of 22: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 19 20 21 22

ReplySendWatch