Forum: Arts / Diaries

Page:
Page 8 of 22: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 19 20 21 22
re: Planting an Appleseed
By LlamaLlamaDuckmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Oct 05, 2012 01:20 AM
I think I was like that somewhere around the 3 to 4 week range... though it was helpful that my husband was able to at least help out with some of the night feeds.

One of my clients was telling me that she used to "dream feed" her daughter basically she fed kiddo before she woke up and she found she got a bit more sleep that way.

Take more daytime naps... basically during the day sleep when baby is sleeping.
By CaffeinePremium member
On Fri Oct 05, 2012 02:12 AM
N's awesome in taking over the evening feeds so I can sleep. I still do the majority of the nights at the moment because he's got assessments due, but once that's over, he'll do them, too. In the meantime, I just need to refrain from trying to burp him in my sleep!
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Oct 06, 2012 08:45 AM
PM me if you want my phone number or Skype name and you can call/Skype me to chat if you're feeling low. I remember how isolating it was when we first had E. We had no friends or family nearby and every day seemed like an endless procession of medical professionals with conflicting advice. *hugs*

Helen
On Sun Oct 07, 2012 04:27 AM
Thanks, Helen, I appreciate it. :)

I do have a pretty awesome support network around me - MiL is 10 minutes down the road, Mum is a phonecall (and possibly a speeding fine) away, as is my SiL, and if I say I need help, I know they'll be here. My problem is asking for help.

I think the loneliness was due to never having to just stop. I've always been busy and had people around me - busy at work, busy at home cleaning up, even sort of busy in hospital with nurses and visitors around all the time. Now that I have to stop and slow down, it's thrown me into a bit of a tailspin.

But everything looks SO much rosier after a solid 9 hours sleep! My milk is coming in better, and we all had a good night's sleep for a change (N did the night feed, and I didn't see things that weren't there). Let's hope that wasn't a one-off.
On Wed Oct 10, 2012 09:46 PM
M is still asleep, and I'm slothing around in N's big fluffy dressing gown right now, procrastinating. Because guess who has let herself get too run down with no sleep (and the dodgy weather hasn't helped) and caught a cold? Yup. Gotta love it. Between that and the antibiotics for my stitches, I've been in better health - let's hope I don't pass anything on to Marcus.

We've started taking it in turns to sleep in Marcus' room. I really didn't want to do the whole co-sleeping thing, but it helps him settle overnight, and certainly when I'm in there it's easier to feed him when he first starts to get restless, rather than waiting until he cries. I remember people telling me not to make too many definitive plans for how to parent until I was actually a parent - this is just one of several ideals we've done an about-face on. Oh well, as long as M is happy and healthy in the end, right?

This has been a busy week of visiting. Took him to my Dad's work on Monday so Dad could show him off and generally do the whole proud grandpa thing. :) After doing the rounds, I planned to feed and change M before giving him to Dad for a good cuddle. Of course I had an audience when changing him (why???), so M did the only thing a strapping healthy boy can do in that situation and weeee everywhere! Floor open up and swallow me now.
From there we went to my great uncle's place, and he was absolutely thrilled to meet Marcus. His children/grandchildren/great-grandchildren are all up north, so I think he's pleased to have someone close by to love/spoil. I don't remember my grandfathers, but Great-Uncle has always filled that role for me - I think he'll enjoy the surrogate-great-grandpa role for M, too. :)
MiL kept me company on Monday night while N was out. Initially I was a bit miffed that N asked her to come round (see previous post about asking for help!), but I am glad he did. She got lots of precious cuddle time, I had company.

Tuesday was a bit of a blur. I know I curled up on the bed with M for a couple of hours, and SiL-J stayed with me while our respective partners went to rehearsal, but other than that, I can't remember much of the day!

And I took him to the maternal health nurse yesterday. He's put on another 250g, his head has grown a couple of centimeters, and he's pretty much the image of a thriving healthy baby. Complete with very well developed lungs! (Good grief, how can someone so small make such racket? We tested him with a noise meter during a nappy change. He hit 90db - well above the OH&S safe levels - and wasn't even in full swing yet!)

I think today we'll have a quiet (!) one at home. It's cold, it's meant to be miserable outdoors, so I think we can stay inside by the heater and snuggle all day.

Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/aragwinity/2012/8daysold.jpg'
8 days old, a tummy full of milk, and all's right with the world

Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/aragwinity/2012/14days_limpnoodle.jpg'
We've replaced the baby with a limp noodle. Let's see if anybody notices.

Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/aragwinity/2012/15days_thinker.jpg'
The Thinker (15 days old)
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 11, 2012 03:27 AM
Of course I had an audience when changing him (why???), so M did the only thing a strapping healthy boy can do in that situation and weeee everywhere! Floor open up and swallow me now.

My aunt used to put a wipe down over James' boy bits when she was changing him. I never did it myself, but I appreciate the theory - if he still feels cold and wet, he'll be less likely to go again. And at least, with the wipe on, he won't go on you! I think James only ever went with the diaper off once, and we were actually at the doctor at the time, haha...
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 11, 2012 04:47 AM
He is so cute! And adorable! I just want to cuddle him!

Hooray for wee adventures... there will probably be many more down the line.
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Oct 11, 2012 05:28 AM
Oh lordy, that last photo. I can't stand it. Did he naturally fall into that position or did you and N do a little sneaky manipulation?

Either way, it is completely adorable.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
On Thu Oct 11, 2012 06:05 AM
Thanks! I think he's pretty gorgeous :D

Theresa wrote:

Of course I had an audience when changing him (why???), so M did the only thing a strapping healthy boy can do in that situation and weeee everywhere! Floor open up and swallow me now.

My aunt used to put a wipe down over James' boy bits when she was changing him. I never did it myself, but I appreciate the theory - if he still feels cold and wet, he'll be less likely to go again. And at least, with the wipe on, he won't go on you! I think James only ever went with the diaper off once, and we were actually at the doctor at the time, haha...

LOL - After he took aim at me a couple of times in hospital, I learned to cover his bits with a wipe (although for us it seems cold+wet=more!) but this time I'd looked away for a moment to grab the nappy/diaper, and he turned into a human Bellagio fountain. Showing off for his adoring public!

Erin, we haven't posed him yet -that's all him! SiL-J is holding him, and I just had to interrupt the conversation to take that photo :)
On Fri Oct 12, 2012 02:43 AM
Aaaah! I think he's going tnrough a growth spurt already - FEEDING FRENZY!

Om nomnomnomnomnomnomnomnom!
On Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:14 AM
5 weeks, and we're getting there.

It's easier now that N is home - it means I can finally take a break and recharge myself, which I sorely need. In taking on the role of mum, I started to lose 'me', but I'm coming back now. Still have good days and bad days, but getting better.

Marcus has been colicky, which has been a challenge. If he cried like a normal newborn, maybe it'd be easier (?),but he doesn't - he still sounds like a hunting raptor! Aside from being colicky, he's pretty awesome. He started smiling - proper wide gummy smiles, not wind smirks - on Monday!

I think he's going through another growing spurt, because he's cluster feeding like mad again. He's 99% breastfed now*, so it's back to endless hours of constant, constant feeding once more. Haven't been back to the maternal nurse yet - they rescheduled our 4 week appt to this week, so we'll see just how much he's grown since the last visit.

* A neighbour who also had supply issues put me on to brewers' yeast to boost it (courtesy of her lactation consultant). Apparently dairy farmers give it to their cows to help their milk, too, so its a tried and true remedy.
On Thu Nov 01, 2012 05:05 AM
Back from the mat. nurse. Marcus has grown 3cm since last visit (good), but only put on 147 gm, which is borderline below average.

While I know it's all averages and they like their happy little bell curve, it's hard not to worry about it, especialy given that he's primarily breastfed. With how much he's been nursing lately, shouldn't he have gained more? Is my milk "good enough"? Is he getting enough of the high-fat hindmilk? Ugh.

Stupid brain. He's active, alert and developing well. Stop overthinking and secondguessing.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Nov 01, 2012 05:21 AM
What does average mean again? Only a very small amount of babies are going to be right AT average. Half of the babies will be above average. Half of the babies will be below average!
re: Planting an Appleseed (karma: 1)
On Mon Nov 05, 2012 01:24 AM
Caffeine wrote:

Back from the mat. nurse. Marcus has grown 3cm since last visit (good), but only put on 147 gm, which is borderline below average.

While I know it's all averages and they like their happy little bell curve, it's hard not to worry about it, especialy given that he's primarily breastfed. With how much he's been nursing lately, shouldn't he have gained more? Is my milk "good enough"? Is he getting enough of the high-fat hindmilk? Ugh.

Stupid brain. He's active, alert and developing well. Stop overthinking and secondguessing.

The growth chart is based on formula fed babies in the 1970s. Don't listen to ANYONE who is talking about the curve. Seriously. Check if he's generally happy, sated after a feed, alert, and meeting developmental milestones. If yes to all four, he's fine. Ignore growth charts and curves for your own sanity. SERIOUSLY.

Speaking from experience.

Helen
On Wed Nov 07, 2012 07:41 AM
Oh, I know you're both right. But it's hard not to think along those lines when I've already had issues establishing the milk supply. :? But he is growing and feeding well, alert and generally a happy little camper (touch of colic aside). I know I overthink these things and really need to stop it!

I had my first Mothers Group this morning. There were only three of us, plus the facilitator, and it was nice to get out and chat with other mums and share experiences. M was very good (ok, he fed then slept in my arms most of the visit), and I learned some more settling techniques.

And this arvo, we took him to get vaccinated. They're recommending the 2 month vax be done at 6 weeks now, so off we trundled to the medical clinic. He was a star! Possibly helped he was hungry when he had the oral vax, and he barely squeaked at all when he had the injections. :D Brave little guy! N had to hold him, though, because I was too anxious about it hurting him. (I'm pretty pathetic like that :P) Hopefully he won't have any side effects from the vax, but we shall see...

Pics!
Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/aragwinity/2012/3w3ddaddysboy.jpg'
Daddy's boy!
3 weeks, 3 days

Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/aragwinity/2012/pool.jpg'
I have come to clean zee pool
3 Weeks, 6 Days

(I've got more recent photos, but I haven't had a chance to put them on the computer yet)
On Sat Nov 10, 2012 07:28 AM
My baby is sick. :(

We were warned about side effects from the vax, but I think the rotavirus one has really done a number on him. Hopefully today is the worst of it, and he'll be back to his normal self soon. It breaks my heart to see him so distressed, and there's so little we can do beside keep his fluids up and fever down. :(
re: Planting an Appleseed (karma: 1)
On Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:27 PM
Edited by Caffeine (183827) on 2012-11-14 23:32:14
Hopefully, fingers crossed, M is on the mend. The tummy bug he had was pretty nasty, and I've had more conversations revolving around poo than I ever dreamed I would! But he's keeping everything down today and seems much more himself than he did (big gummy smiles and the gun-finger "how you doin'?" expression), so that's a plus.

I'm... finally admitting I'm not coping as well as I could be. OK, this week has not been the best with him being so sick anyway, and I know that I have it easy having N home to tag-team when things get rough, but I still find myself struggling.

Still waiting on the babywearing sling, which I'm not thrilled about. It shouldn't take 3 weeks for something to arrive from the other side of town. Or even interstate. Grr. Hopefully I'll be happier when I'm babywearing and able to settle him without feeling like a milchcow becoming one with the recliner (breastfeeding on demand does have a down side).

On the positive side, he is mostly sleeping through the night, even if he doesn't sleep during the day, and I love watching him discover new things every day. I live for those big gummy crinkly-eye grins and coos and cuddles. One day at a time. If I can make it through the day without crying, that's a step forward. So far, today is a good day.

More recent pics:
Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/aragwinity/2012/4w1d_superMarcus.jpg'
Pushups! (4 weeks, 1 day)

Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/aragwinity/2012/6w5d_attitude.jpg'
Attitude. He has it already. (6 weeks, 5 days)

Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/aragwinity/2012/7w_airguitar.jpg'
2012 air guitar champion (7 weeks)
By Nyssasisticmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Thu Nov 15, 2012 06:08 PM
He's already getting so big! hang in there mamma <3 it'll get easier.
On Fri Nov 16, 2012 03:24 AM
Skype me, woman! I'm off work now, so I'm even more available. I've been through this. It can help so much just to talk.

Helen
On Fri Nov 16, 2012 08:42 PM
Edited by Caffeine (183827) on 2012-11-16 20:47:52
1 Image(s) detached by Sumayah (204191) on 2012-11-16 21:43:37 Per request!
Edited by Caffeine (183827) on 2012-11-16 21:59:51 added smaller image!
Thanks, Nyssa.

Helen, I haven't skyped because I didn't want to bother you, especially when things are so close on your end. What's a good day/time for you?

My babywearing apparati arrived yesterday: a Hug-a-bub wrap and a Breeze Baby sling but someone was too squirmy and grizzly to try them out when we got them. Tried the wrap again this morning - success!

Image hotlink - 'http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/aragwinity/2012/20121117_132529-1-1-1.jpg'
On Sat Nov 17, 2012 06:18 AM
Just send me a DM (I get push notifications on my phone and I usually have my phone on me) and I'll go turn Skype on. For reals. I'm home all day every day now until I go into labour except around 9 & 3 for school drop off and pick up.

Helen
On Tue Nov 20, 2012 03:54 AM
Thanks, Helen. :) I was going to call you yesterday, but somehow the day just vanished. If M settles, are you up for a chat this evening, or will that interrupt family time?

===

We had M's pediatrician appointment this afternoon. Don't particularly want/need to see her - but she checked him out in hospital, and told me to make a six-week appointment for a follow-up.

Firstly, I did *not* like her attitude in hospital. She came late in the evening (around 9pm), on one of the nights I was coping badly, poked him (while I was otherwise occupied), made him cry, rattled off different types of jaundice (which is what she was there to check out) then said "Are you going to do something about that baby?". Not impressed (full disclosure: I wasn't holding him because I wanted to hear what she said. But all of the other staff at least tried to soothe him if he cried while they were working with him). Didn't want to go back to her, but we had to make a six (ok, eight)-week appointment, so we did.

Appointment time rolls around, and her receptionist calls me over. "You've got an appointment with Dr [x]? She's just been in a car accident. We're going to have to reschedule you." Gah! If/when we see her again for the follow-up (presumably to sign off on her notes that yes, he's fine), I might then switch to a pediatrician at my local clinic instead. Or our GP.

And in more slightly frustrating news: our hot water service has died a painful death. I suspect when the water company changed the meter over, dirt got into the pipes and blocked a rather important valve, causing the service to flood over. Thankfully it's outside, and we've been able to turn the whole thing off completely , but enough hot water has been leaking that it's getting into the foundations. AAAARGH!
(I hate to think what the water bill is going to be this quarter)

But more positively, M is trying to roll over, and we're getting this whole babywearing thing down pat. :)
By leogirlPremium member
On Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:10 PM
Helen is so right about that stupid growth chart. That stupid, STUPID thing is, I am convinced, responsible for many women giving up breastfeeding due to a mistaken belief their babies are not getting enough milk.

Breastfeeding was going fine for me, until the pediatrician got concerned Ellie wasn't growing fast enough. In every other way my child looked and was healthy, but did ANY of that matter? No, it was all about that stupid, stupid chart, and a number on the scale. Thus began my undoing as a first time Mom, because no longer could I let Ellie sleep 4-5 hours at a time at night, I needed to wake her ever 2 to feed. Which started a habit for her, and is reason she night fed for so long. And, I'm half convinced, contributed to her colic, as she naturally didn't WANT to eat as often as I made her, but she did anyway because the boob was there.

Oh my, that was an unintended vent, my apologies! But yes, listen to Helen, she is spot on. And how I empathize with not coping well during baby's first year. Sometimes it's just awful, there's no other way to put it. And it will get better, I promise. I didn't believe people when they told me that, in fact I sorta wanted to punch them. But it will get better. And soon, your kid will be filling your jacket pockets with nursing pads as you work at the computer, just like mine is right now!
On Wed Nov 21, 2012 06:26 AM
Caffeine wrote:

Thanks, Helen. :) I was going to call you yesterday, but somehow the day just vanished. If M settles, are you up for a chat this evening, or will that interrupt family time?

Sorry love, didn't see this. Evenings are weird at the moment because my contractions are picking up and so I'm going to bed early to sleep through early labour, then waking to find they've stopped. Mornings and afternoons are best. But DM me because I don't get notifications from replies on your thread, but I do from DMs!

Helen
On Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:34 AM
Things are getting better. We still have our up and down moments, but the good far far outweigh the bad, and I feel more confident in this whole motherhood business. It's only taken nine weeks! I got a lovely compliment the other day when I took M to dad's work for show-and-tell. "Oh, you're such a calm mum!" I may not feel it sometimes, but I must be doing something right. Smoke and mirrors. :D

Of course, then we get days like Wednesday, where he was crying and screaming with wind and turning puce from the effort. At mothers' group, no less, after a calming massage and a nap. I know the other mums have been there and dealt with that, but it's still kind of tough to be the one battling it in public.

Right now I'm exhausted. Firstly from the stupidly hot muggy weather and secondly from endless feeding frenzy. Couple the two together and we have an overtired baby who will not sleep until stupid o'clock and wants to comfort feed instead. The phrase shouldn't be "no rest for the wicked"; it's "no rest for the breastfeeding mother"!

He's grown heaps. Another 3.something cm in length (no wonder his pyjamas are getting snug!) and averaging 174gm/week (smack bang in the middle of average). This would explain the ravenous feeding!

We're meant to be going out to dinner on Sunday night. I have no idea if the restaurant is baby-friendly (the host who invited us all says it should be), or able to accommodate a pram, and I have no idea what Marcus will be like. I offered to stay home with M while N socialised* (it's a do for his family), but as all three of us were invited, he insisted we all go. I promise that at the first sign of grizzling we'll be out of there - it's not right to inflict that on others.

And I'm still not sorted for Christmas yet. Had grand plans (oh those grand plans, how I miss them coming to fruition!) of getting all my shopping done before December to avoid the crowds. I haven't even started, and we're hosting Christmas this year. On the plus side, the hot water service was replaced a couple of days ago, so at least something is going right at the moment...

*Spoiler: Show
It may not be fair, and I probably shouldn't put it in writing (but if I don't get it out it'll fester), but it does peeve me that N has for the most part been able to keep his pre-baby lifestyle, albeit with much less sleep. I've given up almost everything - work, hobbies, etc - and most of my contact with friends is online because I'm constantly feeding, but he is still keeping up as normal. It's what made those first few weeks - and some days even now - especially hard and lonely. Maybe it'll be different when dancing starts up again for me next year...
Page:
Page 8 of 22: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 19 20 21 22

ReplySendWatch