Poll: Advice / Cars & Driving

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
How old were you when you got you driver's license?
By Sparkle_Dancermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 03, 2012 09:37 PM

I was curious. In my country we can get our license when we are 16 years old. I got mine when I was 18 because my sister didn't want to let me drive, so I didn't bother to get the licence sooner LOL xD So I got it when I went to college.

How about you?

25 Replies to How old were you when you got you driver's license?

re: How old were you when you got you driver's license?
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 03, 2012 09:50 PM
I was 16. I actually went on my birthday and failed, so I got it a week later. My younger sister is 18 and still doesn't even have her permit, she has no desire to drive.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:07 PM
I got mine when I was 18.

I never had much interest in driving, and there was pretty much always someone to take me wherever I needed to go, so I didn't need a license.

Then I was about to graduate high school, and it occured to me that I wasn't going to be able to drive myself to my own high school graduation ceremony, and oh heck no, I needed my license that minute.

I didn't end up driving myself anyway, but it was the principle of the thing. :D
By kaymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:10 PM
I got it when I was 17. I started the whole driver's ed process right when I turned 16, and slowly took my time to learn and prepare for the license test.
By Merfi
On Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:10 PM
I could have got mine at 15, but I still haven't got it and I'm 19 (nearly 20) now. Which is a bit sad, but there you are.
By hummingbird
On Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:12 PM
You can't get a learners licence until your 17 in the UK, I didn't get mine as soon as I could and in the end I passed my full licence when I was 20.

It was only after I'd moved back to the country out of London that I needed a licence because there's no public transport outside any major cities, even in Europe :)
By ballet_snoopy
On Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:20 AM
Edited by ballet_snoopy (143732) on 2012-03-04 00:20:47
I got mine when I was 17. At the time you needed to be 16 and a half to get your learner licence and 17 to sit the test for a probationary licence. I think where I live now you can be 16 when you get your learner licence and 17 for probationary. My niece is currently learning to drive (she's nearly 17) but in her state, she has to be 18 before she can get a probationary licence. I know lots of people now in my late 20's and older that don't yet have their licence and are reliant on either public transport or friends to take them places when transport isn't available. I can't imagine not being able to drive!
By Felsamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:44 AM
We can get our drivers at 16 here in Alberta but I was terrified of driving so I waited. I got mine at 19. I got it because I really wanted to go to a concert in Edmonton and the only way I could go was if I drove. Decided then was as good as ever to get it.
By rosalinde
On Sun Mar 04, 2012 03:15 AM
I was 21. You can't take classes in Holland until you're 18 (although they are looking into possibly making it 17), but I didn't have the money at the time, and I had a bike and free public transport, so I waited.
When I was 20 my eldest brother (then 18) had to get his licence for his work, and my mother paid for lessons for both of us.
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:05 AM
I was 17. I got my permit at 15 but when it was time to get my license, I freaked and didn't want to. Weird, I know haha. I waited around another year until I was much more confident on the roads.
By Meganmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:14 AM
I was 19. You can get a learner's permit here at 14, which I did, but when I turned 16 I went to study abroad in Germany, then I had a boyfriend with a car, then I lived abroad again, etc etc until I was 19 and my dad bought me car and told me I had to get my license, haha.
By Amyliamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:39 AM
I was 23. Old, I know. Today is actually the 1year anniversary of when i got my license. I lived in Chicago for so many years and never needed one, then I moved home and had to bite the bullet and get it.
By Natashamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Mar 04, 2012 04:06 PM
I was 21... I was always terrrr ified of driving and would literally start crying if a car was coming towards me on the other side of the road, lol

Comment #9880776 deleted
Removed by Sumayah (204191) on 2012-03-05 07:09:46 double post

By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Mar 04, 2012 04:15 PM
I've been driving for almost 54 years now. We had driver's ed. classroom at school when we were 15 (required in my school)and passing that fulfilled the written requirement. I got a learners at 15 and 9 months (earliest possible) and went out with my dad...a VERY good instructor... nearly every evening and weekend. I took my test as close to after my 16th birthday as possible and passed it the first time. There were no progressive licenses then...my drivers license was the same as any adults. My behind the wheel test was on regular city streets, not on a closed course like they do in this state. My dad still gave me instructions including nighttime driving and highway driving (we had no freeways anywhere near where I lived.) The following winter he also instructed me in winter driving techniques to include skid recovery and rocking out of deep snow.

My kids also got their licenses at 16 and they were not a phase-in of privileges. Behind the wheel instruction for a certified school was then and is now required. I also went out with them. I also taught them navigation and map reading (no GPS's yet for them.) The summer after they got their licenses they drove alone from Maryland to Wisconsin for their summer jobs with a relative and that included turnpikes and navigating around Chicago and Milwaukee. The were by then used to driving in Washington traffic which is among the worst in the country.

I seldom drove during college. When I moved to Maryland two weeks after college, Maryland accepted my Wisconsin behind the wheel test, but I had to take the simple written test. I also had to learn how to drive in freeway traffic and on the notorious Washington Beltway which opened the year I came here. That was a bit of a shock for me...I was not used to playing "bumper tag" at 60 mph.

Jon
By CaffeinePremium member
On Sun Mar 04, 2012 04:21 PM

Where I live, you can get your learner's permit at 16, get a probationary license at 18, and a full license at 21.

One of my best friends at the time didn't bother to get hers until she was 22, so I ended up being her designated driver all the time, which kinda sucked.
By Summer
On Sun Mar 04, 2012 07:15 PM
I was 16. I was terrified of driving, too, but my parents basically made me since I was requiring rides to dance classes so many days per week, and they were getting tired of driving me. Plus, my siblings needed rides too... :P
By celticprincessmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 05, 2012 06:33 AM
I got mine a month after I turned 18.I would have gotten it earlier, but I didn't have the money for drivers ed, and cause I was afraid of driving. It took about two months before I could drive without having a panic attack. Also,I waited till I was 18 so I wouldn't have to deal with the JOL law.
By Anon1234567890member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 05, 2012 06:43 AM
I was 25 when I passed my driving test. I got my provisional when I was about 21 I think but didn't start lessons until I was 22 or 23 ish. I had various long breaks before attempting my test though, one because I had an awful instructor who massively knocked my confidence and another after I was ill which then led into months of awful weather. I passed my test first time.
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 05, 2012 06:56 AM
I am 28, and I don't yet.

I never even bothered getting my learner's permit, and then when I was 19 I moved into the city, and since then have never lived more than about 100 metres from public transport, so I have never needed it. Owning and operating a car is expensive, and it's much cheaper to rely on public transport.

Mark has his licence and we have a car. I refer to it as "our" car because we both contribute equally to running it, but really it's his car because I don't drive.

I will eventually get my licence someday. In December we had a scare where Mark cut himself badly and we needed to go to the hospital. His ambulance cover had expired so we couldn't call an ambulance. I can't drive, so I couldn't take him. Fortunately our housemate has her learner's permit so she could drive us, but without her there we'd have been in trouble.

But I think that when I do get my licence, we'll still only have the one car - I can't justify us both having our own car when we live this close to the city.

Erin.
::righteous babe::
By Sumayah
On Mon Mar 05, 2012 07:14 AM
16, on my birthday. I couldn't wait to drive. Neither could my mom. I also passed on the first try. I did a driving school and so I only had to do the written portion to get my license.
By BusyIzzy
On Mon Mar 05, 2012 08:00 AM
I got my provisional license at 17 which is the earliest you can get in in the UK, but I didn't pass my driving test until I was 18.
By Miss_WittyGirl
On Mon Mar 05, 2012 08:22 AM
I have two drivers licenses - one I got at 18 (the min legal age to have one), the other - at 22.

The first one I got in my home country over summer holidays as soon as I turned 18. But as I am living in another country where to my greatest surpise my driving license was not accepted I had to retake it. However, I couldn't afford the car at that moment and after that I couldn't find enough time to go though the tests. At 22 the necessity finally kicked in, so here I am.
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:20 AM
I was 17. I got my license just before I moved out of home and then my parents refused to let me take my car with me so then I couldn't even get any solo driving practice until I essentially stole my own car two months later.

Helen
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Mar 06, 2012 02:05 AM
I grew up in a rural/farming community, so I learned to drive when I was about 7 or 8. By the time I was 10, my parents were sending me to the store in their car. Same with both my brothers. We also grew up driving tractors, motorcycles, go-karts, and ATVs. I actually learned to fly a plane before I learned to drive a car. Needless to say, I got my license the day I turned 16, but I had already been driving for years. I never had to take the driving test though. I took a driver's education class in 10th grade, and I automatically got my license.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch