Forum: Competitions

"Dance Moms" -- Is this REALLY what it's like?
By dayDANCEnight
On Sun Mar 04, 2012 03:04 PM
Edited by dayDANCEnight (244487) on 2012-03-04 15:08:03

I started watching "Dance Moms" second season, and I would like to know....is that really how it is? I know that mothers can get crazy and dance instructors can be tough--but does that show reflect the norm for competitive dancing?

5 Replies to "Dance Moms" -- Is this REALLY what it's like?

re: "Dance Moms" -- Is this REALLY what it's like?
By CarabosseKPremium member
On Sun Mar 04, 2012 04:02 PM
Not the norm, but it does happen.
By vfdtPremium member
On Sun Mar 04, 2012 05:19 PM
Several years ago, I bought a small 25 year old dance school, known for its annual Nutcracker. It was a "performing" school, and I, and they, knew nothing about Competitions - which were practically non-existent when I was a kid. However, I found I was losing too many preteens to competitive sports, and other dance schools with Comp Teams. Then 2.5 years ago, I entered my first local competition, with a small 8 year old group, and a teen lyrical duo. We did OK (our kids loved their small trophies), so next we tried a biggie - Access Broadway, which was good, but with too many large very experienced comp schools' acts.

Last month we reverted back to a small regional one near us, that I discovered here on DDN, "All American Talent." They had gotten some concerned comments about lack of communication, but its owner answered all of my questions, and was very patient with me. It turned into the best experience to date, and not only because our newest mini-team of 5 year olds went home with two large trophies, including Highest Score.

All of our parents were impressed with the positive experience and got a kick out of watching their babies pull it off. They were thanking me profusely, which never happens at our recitals. It gave them bragging rights on Facebook, with their posted pics. Some texted our absent teachers immediately, with the good news of our results. It was exciting for them, and a revelation to me. I had kept it low-key and completely free, by paying all fees with our pasta fundraising profits. We wore our $25 recital costumes (see posted pic) and did our recital dances, which are only practiced for about 10 minutes during their weekly one hour class.

This dynamic might change with a "formal" exclusive comp team, or older teen dancers (which we don't have currently), but for now, it has given us a badly needed boost. And the 4 big shiny gold trophies in my storefront window won't hurt either.
re: "Dance Moms" -- Is this REALLY what it's like? (karma: 2)
By balletstar05member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Mar 04, 2012 06:33 PM
"Dance Moms" is to your common dance studio as "Jersey Shore" is to your average Italian-American, if that helps you out.
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Mar 04, 2012 06:41 PM
balletstar05 wrote:

"Dance Moms" is to your common dance studio as "Jersey Shore" is to your average Italian-American, if that helps you out.

Excellent comparison!
By dayDANCEnight
On Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:53 AM
Oh thank goodness! Thank you all so much for answering my question; they're such a relief. :)

ReplySendWatch