Forum: Arts / Food & Beverage

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Food & Beverage
How do you eat your Oreos?
By ChristinePremium member Comments: 6817, member since Wed Feb 04, 2009
On Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:24 PM

Image hotlink - 'http://cdn-ediblecrafts.craftgossip.com/files/2010/08/oreocake.jpg'
It seems today is the 100th Birthday of Oreo cookies.

I am always amazed when a small child somehow knows to "unscrew" the cookies and lick the filling off both sides.
I remember doing this when I was small.

Now...I go hard core and only eat the ice cream sandwiches!
Image hotlink - 'http://www.searchamelia.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/cold-stone-oreo.jpg'

So...how do YOU do it?

Keep On Dancing*

29 Replies to How do you eat your Oreos?

re: How do you eat your Oreos?
By Sumayah Comments: 6876, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:38 PM
I haven't an Oreo in years. Mostly because they were never my favorite cookie, but then I read that the creamy filling was basically like Crisco shortening and sugar blended together, it totally put me off them altogether. But when I did eat them, I'd twist one side off and dunk each half in milk. But I dunk all my cookies in milk. That's the proper way you know. But you don't drink the milk, you have a separate glass for drinking so you don't get cookie crumb infested milk (reminds me too much of backwash, *mrphurghblarg*).
On Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:47 PM
Sumayah wrote:

but then I read that the creamy filling was basically like Crisco shortening and sugar blended together

^Unfortunately, most icing is fat blended with sugar. This is why I switched to the ice cream sandwich variety. I fool myself into believing ice cream is good for my bones!

Keep On Dancing*
re: How do you eat your Oreos? (karma: 1)
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17315, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:51 PM
They've only recently started to become mainstream over here recently, I assume something to do with Kraft taking over Cadbury (hisssss). The adverts have been airing for a year or so and we are instructed to twist it, lick it, put it back together and dunk it. Personally I've only ever had a bag of mini ones and I put the little beggars in whole! But not anymore, due to the aforementioned hisssss. Sometimes I do want to sack off the principles though as they look sooo nice.
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Tue Mar 06, 2012 02:16 PM
Mostly, I disassemble them. I've only had the traditional kind. Like many though, I have other cookies I prefer. I LOVE the chocolate chip and macadamia nut ones from Costco. My favorites are Toll House Chocolate chip made by my wife!

Jon
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6414, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Tue Mar 06, 2012 02:23 PM
I most enjoy them frozen and so don't untwist!
By slice Comments: 1247, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Tue Mar 06, 2012 02:36 PM
Twist apart. Eat the plain top, then eat the top with icing on it.

Repeat about a gazillion times :D
By kandykanePremium member Comments: 16415, member since Mon May 01, 2006
On Tue Mar 06, 2012 03:38 PM
The regular Oreos I can pass on. I LOVE the white fudge covered Oreos. It's a good thing I can't find them often because it would be very bad. They are so yummy! Break in half and dunk in milk til the inside gets softened and the outside is still crispy. Oh, nums. I have Girl Scout cookies in the house. I wonder if that will substitute well?

kk~
By Josianemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1643, member since Sun Nov 06, 2005
On Tue Mar 06, 2012 03:48 PM
Edited by Josiane (144829) on 2012-03-06 16:01:25
Edited by Josiane (144829) on 2012-03-06 16:01:43
Since I have no self control, whenever I open a box of Oreo, I also finish it. It also means that I eat Oreo cookies in every way possible. First row of cookie I eat: twist, lick, eat cookie. Second row: dunk them in milk. Third row: Bite half, dunk the other half in milk. SO-MANY possibilities. I just LOVE oreos so much.

Edit:
just went to the grocery store in front of my house and bought a bag. My diet says: thank you Christine ;)
By schuhplattlerPremium member Comments: 3037, member since Sat Dec 23, 2006
On Tue Mar 06, 2012 03:55 PM
Josianne, would it help your self-control to know that you are eating a 100-year-old sandwich?
By madseasonPremium member Comments: 1975, member since Wed Jan 04, 2006
On Tue Mar 06, 2012 04:29 PM
You can buy the Newman's Own brand of 'Newman's-Os' which are like a MUCH healthier oreo. They aren't health food but they don't have any hydrogenated oil, are organic and no trans-fatty acids, fake colors or flavors. I much prefer the taste (they taste like real food) and I like that the Newman's Own brand donates tons or their proceeds to great charities. Just a less-guilt-ridden option.
By RingingPhonePremium member Comments: 3509, member since Thu Nov 10, 2005
On Tue Mar 06, 2012 04:37 PM
Mmmm, I love Oreos! I prefer Golden Oreos so you can't tell I have cookie crumbs in my teeth ;)

I bite off one of the cookies, then lick the frosting, then eat the other cookie.
By CaffeinePremium member Comments: 3194, member since Wed Aug 08, 2007
On Tue Mar 06, 2012 04:54 PM
They're only relatively recently become mainstream over here, but I don't eat them, because I prefer to try and stick to Aussie brands* where possible.

That's why I prefer TimTams over Oreos. You can't go past a TimTam Slam.

(* Yes, I know Arnott's is owned by Campbell's, but they've kept the manufacture (and the "heart" of the brand) Australian, and I'd rather spent my $ keeping Aussies in jobs than on imported stuff )
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Tue Mar 06, 2012 05:18 PM
When I used to eat oreos, I would scrap all the inside out and eat that. I would then give the cookie part to my little brother.
By Krystalmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8458, member since Tue Sep 02, 2003
On Tue Mar 06, 2012 06:03 PM
I recently bought a bag at the store because I had a coupon...and I was instantly reminded of how much I love them! I got the mint ones (so amazing).

I separate the halves. The I eat the side with no frosting on it and save the good half for last! I've always done it that way and for me it seems to be less messy.

I've honestly never tried dunking them in milk. I hate drinking milk so it just kind of grosses me out.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3024, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Tue Mar 06, 2012 08:41 PM
I don't like Oreos, the texture of the crumbly cookie just isn't for me =(

I guess that is a good thing, but there are plenty of other sweets that I will nosh on. Suddenly I am now in the mood for Muddy Buddies (I refuse to call it puppy chow).
By MarlaSingermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3906, member since Fri Jul 25, 2008
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:50 AM
It depends. Usually I just eat it whole. Sometimes I'm really not in the mood for the cookie part, so I twist it open and eat the filling and throw the rest away (or give it to my husband). Or sometimes I twist it open and eat the half with the filling on it and dispose of the rest.
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:55 PM
Mostly because they were never my favorite cookie, but then I read that the creamy filling was basically like Crisco shortening and sugar blended together, it totally put me off them altogether.

Yeah, that killed 'em for me too. One of the radio DJs around here was talking about Oreos, and how he didn't understand why people prize the filling. He was like "It's Crisco, creamed together with sugar. You would never, EVER just mix yourself up a big cup of Crisco and sugar and eat it, and yet somehow, Kraft has spent decades charging you money for Crisco and sugar, I don't get it."

And I was like BLECH, is that really what I'm eating?!

Maybe once a year or so, I'll get a wild hair and buy some, and I make it about two in, and I'm like "Eww, gross..."

So I really don't, but when I do, I eat the filling out first, then dunk the cookie pieces in milk.
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5889, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 01:13 PM
I don't eat them very often, but when I do I dunk them in milk and eat them when they are squishy.
By boleyngrrl Comments: 2550, member since Sat Apr 15, 2006
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 01:26 PM
slice wrote:

Twist apart. Eat the plain top, then eat the top with icing on it.

Repeat about a gazillion times :D

That's what I do! :D Save the best for last! :D
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 01:42 PM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2012-03-07 13:43:20 typo
He was like "It's Crisco, creamed together with sugar. You would never, EVER just mix yourself up a big cup of Crisco and sugar and eat it, and yet somehow, Kraft has spent decades charging you money for Crisco and sugar, I don't get it."

Most commercial "decorator's icing" is just that... a cup of Crisco, 4 cups of 10x sugar, a splash of water, milk, or cream, and vanilla.

Image hotlink - 'http://images.media-allrecipes.com/userphotos/140x140/00/72/98/729841.jpg'

Keep On Dancing*
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 01:47 PM
Christine wrote:

He was like "It's Crisco, creamed together with sugar. You would never, EVER just mix yourself up a big cup of Crisco and sugar and eat it, and yet somehow, Kraft has spent decades charging you money for Crisco and sugar, I don't get it."

Most commercial "decorator's icing" is just that... a cup of Crisco, 4 cups of 10x sugar, a splash of water, milk, or cream, and vanilla.

Image hotlink - 'http://images.media-allrecipes.com/userphotos/140x140/00/72/98/729841.jpg'

Keep On Dancing*

...Ok? Like, do you have family that makes Oreos or something? You seem really adamant to defend them. People are allowed to think they're not good. If they were the best thing EVAH, they'd be the only cookie that existed, and since they aren't, that means they aren't. It's alright, we'll all live...
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 01:57 PM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2012-03-07 14:36:10 typo
Theresa wrote:

...Ok? Like, do you have family that makes Oreos or something? You seem really adamant to defend them. People are allowed to think they're not good. If they were the best thing EVAH, they'd be the only cookie that existed, and since they aren't, that means they aren't. It's alright, we'll all live...

Sorry....

No, I am not adamant about defending them. And of course people are "allowed" to dislike them. I too, dislike the "Crisco whip", and in fact, NEVER eat icing from most wedding cakes or commercial cup cakes, or many other things with hydrogenated vegetable oil, which is usually full of preservatives besides its own artery clogging properties. Not to mention that to me...it tastes disgusting. . I only pointed out the recipe for the one teaspoon full of junk contained in the center of this benign little biscuit for the amusement of others.

Once again, for reasons totally beyond my comprehension, I seem to have irritated instead of amused.

Sincerest apologies to all offended parties.

Keep On Dancing*
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 02:07 PM
schuhplattler wrote:

Josianne, would it help your self-control to know that you are eating a 100-year-old sandwich?

It would be nice if this worked. Then, there is the phenomenon of "Thousand year old" eggs.
Image hotlink - 'http://allyoucanteat.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/thousand_year_eggs-250x166.jpg'

I'm going to apply this strategy to potato chips, though. Maybe it will save my calorie count.

Keep On Dancing*
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member Comments: 8688, member since Sat Jul 10, 2004
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 02:12 PM
Christine, I had no idea that cupcake frosting is Crisco. I am so glad you posted that and the photo, because I will never look at a cupcake the same way again!
Although no wonder most of my students LOVE frosting. Who doesn't love fat+sugar+cream as a kid?
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch