Popular Owners

New Studio Owner needing some financial input please. by Klynn2014
Hello everyone. I am currently a new studio owner to a very small independant studio. I am very...

Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Adult Dancers

Ballet - Adult Dancers
adult ballet class in Montreal? en>fr fr>en
By michelleshie Comments: 24, member since Tue Nov 22, 2011
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 01:26 AM

Hi,
I am looking for ballet studio that have adult class in Montreal. I found one but not sure if this studio is good. Has anyone been there before? It's called "ballet divertimento" (sorry I can't post the link because i am still a new member)

for "good" studio I mean that the teacher would actually look at you and correct you and would not ignore your mistake. If there's other good studio please let me know :)

thanks a lot!!!

8 Replies to adult ballet class in Montreal?

re: adult ballet class in Montreal? en>fr fr>en
By WoodPigeon Comments: 511, member since Wed Dec 05, 2007
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 02:57 AM
The studio seems to be pretty reliable. The teachers have a good, professional education and the classes are 90 minutes long + 30 minutes extra for pointe. Of course pointe is not for you, yet, but it shows that they work professionally. Many not so professional studios don't offer extra pointe classes but squeeze pointe work into a 90 -or even worse- 60 minutes class. The pictures on the website look good, too, although that isn't always an indicator for good quality because it's easy to buy stock photos from somewhere else just to make the own website look good.
I think you should give it a try and see wheter you like it there or not. It really looks like you could take some propper classes there.
By adultbeginner Comments: 203, member since Wed Jan 20, 2010
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:51 AM
Ha, I just wanted to say I used to live a couple of blocks from there!!! That was about 20 years ago :) It used to be called the McGill Getto. I can't believe there is a ballet school there now!

I can't comment on the school itself but I believe the area is no longer a getto at all (it never was really- just where all the students lived). I would say based solely on location that the school must be good being only blocks away from McGill and right smack downtown. They must at least be making enough money to pay the rent! Plus, I would guess they attract alot of McGill students who are a pretty smart bunch- I doubt they would go anywhere that wasn't very good.
By gioland Comments: 248, member since Tue Sep 08, 2009
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 02:28 PM
Hi there,
I used to live in Montreal and I've taken classes at Ballet Divertimento for about three years. The school is really good, and a no-profit. The teachers are great; beginners get a fantastic teacher with a teaching diploma (from former USSR) in Vaganova technique. Higher levels are taught by a former principal dancer. Some of the higher level classes are taught by a Russian former principal. I highly recommend the school.
The studios are all decent size, with sprung floors and air conditioning for the summer. All classes have a pianist, except for the pointe class. The only con is that there are no showers (at least, that was the case 5 years ago).
The best is their drop-in schedule, but believe me, you will try not to miss any of the classes!
By gioland Comments: 248, member since Tue Sep 08, 2009
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 02:30 PM
Edited by gioland (216083) on 2012-03-07 14:32:32
WoodPigeon wrote:

The pictures on the website look good, too, although that isn't always an indicator for good quality because it's easy to buy stock photos from somewhere else just to make the own website look good.

I can assure those pictures are actual students from the school :) or at least, from their summer intensive.
By michelleshie Comments: 24, member since Tue Nov 22, 2011
On Thu Mar 08, 2012 03:43 AM
This sounds great! I will definitely go for a try :)
By Etoile_Filantemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6053, member since Wed Jan 09, 2002
On Fri Mar 23, 2012 08:53 AM
I used to dance there, 10 years ago. The class and teachers are very good, sometimes however many students. But the advices were good, and I made very good progresses while dancing there.
I think it's worth trying it, for me (10 years ago) it was the best ballet school i could find in Montreal
By dancerenaissance Comments: 7, member since Tue May 01, 2012
On Tue May 01, 2012 08:49 PM
I cannot recommend enough the Ecole Superieure de Ballet. It's where the professional dancers train, the kids that are in ballet school train, and they also have 'recreational' classes for kids and adults. www.esbq.ca . . .

Though 'recreational', these are serious classes. I am a beginner, but, I watch my friends advanced classes from time to time, and it is incredible to me what they are able to do. I love the thrill of bumping into a principal dancer I've just seen in a performance, or being around the buzz of people that are immersed in dance. Class sizes are managed, so you always get good attention. I love Divertimento's drop in classes, and use them to supplement my scheduled classes through the times of year (summer)when ESBQ doesn't offer class. I also take a la carte classes there when I am taking only one class a week at ESBQ. (They do offer reduced prices as ESBQ if you take two or three classes a week).

Divertimento is great, but with the classes being drop in, size can fluctuate. I like ESBQ for the small class sizes.
By Sarelimo Comments: 36, member since Mon Apr 26, 2010
On Sat May 26, 2012 11:28 AM
Hey, I have friends in the intensive program at Divertimento, it's a pretty good school but honestly, if you're willing to travel a little bit, the best teacher in the Montreal area is Paula Urrutia. She has a studio in Pointe-Claire on the corner of St-Jean blvd and the hway 40. If you want a really recreational adult class you can try ballet ouest as well, but I highly recommend Ballet Montreal in Pointe-Claire.

balletmontreal.wordpress.com

ReplySendWatch