Good luck

Forum: Arts / Politics & Current Affairs

Page:
Page 1 of 21 2
Politics & Current Affairs
Kony 2012 en>fr fr>en
By Sumayah Comments: 6099, member since Wed Nov 12, 2008
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:52 AM

Watch the video. It's 30 minutes long but worth the watch. s3.amazonaws.com . . .

26 Replies to Kony 2012

re: Kony 2012 en>fr fr>en
By GrinsPremium member Comments: 3429, member since Sat May 08, 2004
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:02 PM
My Facebook and Twitter feeds have been flooded with this in the last 12 hrs. My heart broke when Jacob started sobbing about his brother.
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:14 PM
I know! It makes me wonder if events like the some 800,000 who died in the three years of Pol Pot's rule would have happened if we had the sort of global outreach and technology we do today. Things used to be so isolated and no one really cared about what was happening elsewhere so long as it didn't effect them personally. Now our ability to communicate is so global and our friends are no longer just the people we see face to face that when something like this does happen, it does effect us personally.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8863, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 01:06 PM
I urge you all to consider exactly what you're supporting before you donate any money to Invisible Children.

visiblechildren.tumblr.com
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 01:27 PM
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2012-03-07 13:28:38
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2012-03-07 13:30:24 the word of the day is "massive"
Edited by Sumayah (204191) on 2012-03-07 13:33:25 K, gonna stop fixing stuff any mistakes left over can just get the evil eye
I never said to donate, I said to watch the video and that it's worth the watch. It is. I think it's highly interesting how they bring out that social media and the internet has built a level of awareness and connectedness we lacked in the past. It's true.

Time to drop my first Godwin, imagine if Hitler had had the type of accessible media outlets available now. He was a propaganda machine. Just imagine the storm he would have caused if he had been able to communicate his crazy on a worldwide basis. Even now, everyone knows what Saddam Hussein looked like. His picture was on the news all the time. Media has made our awareness of current events and real life villains that much more vivid. Before I read about it on ddn, I had no idea that Queensland was experiencing the flooding and devastation last year. It wasn't something happening in my immediate area so while I may have seen a news clip, I was unaware of just how truly massive the damage was. The forums, Facebook, and Youtube all illustrated just how tremendous the reality of the situation was at time.

That is what I find truly interesting about this campaign. The immediacy of it.

Regarding the criticism, every story has two sides and it's good to see a different perspective. Generally I agree with the Kony 2012 idea - put his face and name out there and make people sit up and listen and write their congressman. My opinion is that a bracelet or a teeshirt is passively supporting something, and particularly when it becomes trendy I get put off of the whole idea just because if you're supporting a cause it should be because you believe in it, not because it's the cool thing to do. I'm a fan of technology, and above all else I think the fact that technology has reached such an extensive point is good. Perhaps it's a worldwide checks and balances that's slowly becoming more realized. People are discovering that if they do something, it becomes public and up to worldwide critique. The idea of things becoming viral really brings to the forefront the idea that what you do doesn't just effect you personally or the people you know, it can effect hundreds, thousands, even millions of other people.
By UberGoobermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6373, member since Sat May 15, 2004
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 01:46 PM
The video is 100% worth the watch and in my opinion, a share at the least. Is this the best, most effective charity to bring him down? Perhaps not.

But...

What I absolutely support without a doubt is a return to these types of issues rather than the ones currently bogging down American politics. How ridiculous is it that we (America) are spending millions of dollars telling gay people that they can't marry and wanting me to stop taking an "immoral" 28 day hormonal regimen, when there are THESE kinds of problems that we SHOULD be worrying and educating people about. I am 100% supportive of a return to a focus on the GLOBAL society and the true suffering of forgotten peoples everywhere in the world. It's time to start seeing the big picture again instead of the small minute issues that some Americans seem to think should rule everything.
By Kekoamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 8863, member since Sat Jul 19, 2003
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 02:09 PM
UberGoober wrote:

The video is 100% worth the watch and in my opinion, a share at the least. Is this the best, most effective charity to bring him down? Perhaps not.

But...

What I absolutely support without a doubt is a return to these types of issues rather than the ones currently bogging down American politics. How ridiculous is it that we (America) are spending millions of dollars telling gay people that they can't marry and wanting me to stop taking an "immoral" 28 day hormonal regimen, when there are THESE kinds of problems that we SHOULD be worrying and educating people about. I am 100% supportive of a return to a focus on the GLOBAL society and the true suffering of forgotten peoples everywhere in the world. It's time to start seeing the big picture again instead of the small minute issues that some Americans seem to think should rule everything.

Yes. To go further than my last comment, I think that education is really powerful...I just hope that people express their outrage at what's going on with Kony in ways other than financially supporting Invisible Children.
By Puss_in_Bootsmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4513, member since Mon Jun 03, 2002
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 08:49 PM
Edited by Puss_in_Boots (29298) on 2012-03-07 20:51:04 Another crucial part of being an adult: checking your formatting
I passed the video on, and I'm heartened that a few friends on my Facebook that aren't usually into this sort of thing have watched and shared the video as well. For me too it's about getting the word out there - maybe you or your friend aren't in a position to donate or go out and protest, but by educating people you can reach people who ARE able to influence policy and go out and help the communities in question. The prospect of being able to affect global affairs through social networking is heartening, and I don't feel that I need to be 100% or even 75% in agreement with something in order to pass it along. I use my brain and I expect other people to do so as well (even though I know that some won't).

I haven't donated, partly because I can't really afford to at the moment, and partly because I didn't know enough about the organisation. Now I'm very glad that I waited.

I follow Wil Wheaton on Facebook and he linked to the following tumblr post:

wilwheaton.tumblr.com . . .

If anyone wants to donate, he's suggested four charities that have a top rating on Charity Navigator: Water.org, AMREF USA, Africare, and Children of the Nations. I'd only heard of Water.org and I don't know too much about either, but this kind of community building approach is something that I find easier to support, and I'll be doing some more research and donating once I can afford to part with anything more than a few dollars.

Summary: Education, good. Blindly donating, not so good. Be adults, think, research, and then support. Look at the big picture.
On Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:55 PM
Awareness of world issues = awesome.

Jumping aboard a bandwagon because it has a pretty 30 minute video = not so awesome.

As Chris Blattman, a political scientist at Yale, writes on the topic of IC’s programming, “There’s also something inherently misleading, naive, maybe even dangerous, about the idea of rescuing children or saving of Africa. […] It hints uncomfortably of the White Man’s Burden. Worse, sometimes it does more than hint. The savior attitude is pervasive in advocacy, and it inevitably shapes programming. Usually misconceived programming.”

Thoughts?
By panicmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 11510, member since Thu Dec 16, 2004
On Thu Mar 08, 2012 01:24 AM
The reason the "savior attitude" is pervasive in advocacy is because that's the strategy that brings in the most donations. It has nothing to do with the issues. It's a marketing decision.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17052, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Thu Mar 08, 2012 02:30 AM
Awareness of world issues = awesome.

Jumping aboard a bandwagon because it has a pretty 30 minute video = not so awesome.

Awareness is awareness. It doesn't matter how you come by your knowledge, as long as you now have knowledge you didn't have before. It kinda sounds like you're being patronising and saying "I knew about it first, look how aware I am!" It doesn't matter. I guess telethons like Comic/Sport Relief are a bad idea because it's just jumping on the bandwagon due to some heartwrenching clips of Kenya and Sudan? :?
On Thu Mar 08, 2012 02:48 AM
It kinda sounds like you're being patronising and saying "I knew about it first, look how aware I am!"

Nope, definitely not pulling that card. Quite the opposite actually - that film made me aware of something I did not know much about at all. What I was saying is that awareness is awesome, however, emptying your (collective 'your') wallet to a charity you've only just learnt of isn't necessarily the way to go.
By DeStijlmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7007, member since Sat Jul 17, 2004
On Thu Mar 08, 2012 06:11 PM
re: Kony 2012 (karma: 1)  en>fr fr>en
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14987, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Thu Mar 08, 2012 06:19 PM
Image hotlink - 'http://i.imgur.com/AB4ln.png'
By Cienmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6042, member since Tue Dec 20, 2005
On Thu Mar 08, 2012 08:48 PM
I think the Kony 2012 campaign is well-intentioned, and I don't think anyone is questioning the fact that the LRA does horrible things, and that Kony should be stopped. That said, I also think it's absolutely essential that people educate themselves on the actual complexity of the problem, because no campaign or issue is ever as simple as Kony 2012 is making it seem.
By UnderwaterBubblemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 2332, member since Mon Jun 09, 2003
On Thu Mar 08, 2012 08:56 PM
In the video it clearly states that the footage was from 6 years ago, and that Kony is no longer in Northern Uganda. Furthermore, as they state, Invisible Children is currently trying to make Kony known - it makes sense that that is what the money has been invested towards, as opposed to aid. Obviously it is the donators responsibility to decide where they want their money to go and to the research how best to achieve that.

This video raises awareness, and for that I think it's pretty great. People should take on the responsibility of not taking things for face value and to do their own research - I know that "should" and what actually happen are two very different things, however I have faith that people can take the initiative (naive) if they are actually bothering enough to take action.
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 17052, member since Thu Jun 06, 2002
On Fri Mar 09, 2012 02:41 AM
If anyone's at all interested in Ugandan politics and doesn't mind a book that adds a bit of humour to exposing a serious humanitarian problem, I would recommend a book by Jane Bussman which if I remember correctly is called "The Worst Date Ever". She's a journalist, falls mildly in love with some kind of activist, and ends up in Uganda finding out about Amin, Kony, and the involvement of various Western governments. True story, too. It was the back end of 2009 when I read it so although I recognise the name Kony I don't recall much of the detail. Good read, though. The Last King of Scotland is good too, although nothing about Kony there I don't think.
By slice Comments: 1152, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Fri Mar 09, 2012 07:42 AM
Edited by slice (109495) on 2012-03-09 07:42:37
GeeTrain wrote:

As Chris Blattman, a political scientist at Yale, writes on the topic of IC’s programming, “There’s also something inherently misleading, naive, maybe even dangerous, about the idea of rescuing children or saving of Africa. […] It hints uncomfortably of the White Man’s Burden. Worse, sometimes it does more than hint. The savior attitude is pervasive in advocacy, and it inevitably shapes programming. Usually misconceived programming.”

Completely agreed, which is why this whole deal is more than a little troubling.

Let's be reality, most people couldn't give two bleeps about Africa on a daily basis. The fact that ideologically we don't even recognize that Africa is a continent with many diverse countries and ethnic groups completely speaks to that. No, everyone just thinks "Africa" as if it's some massive country filled with black people.

As Panic already stated, possible-donors must be positioned as "saviors" in order to encourage them to become actual donors. In this particular case Uganda must be characterized as a completely broken nation with no resources or organization of its own in order to inspire all white people "to come in and save the day". Add this to the circulation and pervasiveness of social media and you get the whirlwind that is/was Kony 2012.

Probably my favorite line from the tumblr post was this:
If you want to write to your Member of Parliament or your Senator or the President or the Prime Minister, by all means, go ahead. If you want to post about Joseph Kony’s crimes on Facebook, go ahead. But let’s keep it about Joseph Kony, not KONY 2012.

visiblechildren.tumblr.com

This is where criticism meets pragmatism. Keeping "Joseph Kony" as opposed to "KONY 2012" means keeping focused on the real-world implications of his presence without being caught in the storm.
On Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:03 AM
The US has always had a cavalry reinforcement mentality. We are reactionary, and only reactionary when pushed. If you watch the news, you see snippets of world news and any celebrity scandal will trump any more important issue. If they had come out saying Joseph Kony is doing these atrocities and people should write their congressman to get them involved, 99% of the population wouldn't even blink and he'd drop off the radar again. It's the sensationalism of the Kony 2012 campaign, that for better or worse, has caught people's attention. Instead of reading about how Debbie Harry was photographed by the paparazzi who thought she was Lindsay Lohan, people took the time to find out who Kony is and what he's done and whether the situation was something they had an opinion about.

How on earth is that a bad thing?

You're absolutely right, I couldn't name even a handful of the countries in Africa, I don't know what's going on over there because I'm extremely self-centric and don't give much thought to the things happening outside my small sphere. But I also can't name but a handful of countries in South America, nor the former Soviet Union. A lot of people are like me in that regard - unless it's directly impacting my life, I tend to be naive to much of the foreign goings-on.

UberGoober wrote:

I am 100% supportive of a return to a focus on the GLOBAL society and the true suffering of forgotten peoples everywhere in the world. It's time to start seeing the big picture again instead of the small minute issues that some Americans seem to think should rule everything.

This. They may be going at it in a completely wrong way, but the fact that it's made our egocentric, self-absorbed, overly puritanical country sit up and take notice is huge. In just over 100 year time we've been through two major wars that brought the people together and gave hope for change and hope for a different life on the other side, hope that the good guys will prevail and crush the bad guys underfoot and that the world will rises from the ashes and rebuild something better. After the rebuilding and people lose the collective unity and start to go their separate ways and slowly become immersed in their secular lives and forget about their global community. At this point our country has been going from war to war, helping or hindering, divided on whether we should be there at all. So if this campaign gives people a world view again, brings maybe even a modicum of hope and an altruistic desire to help someone besides ones self, how is that bad? Am I going to donate to the cause? No, because I don't know enough about the situation and the expanded, current situation (political, military or otherwise) there. But am I going to open my eyes a little wider and look around and realize that there are bigger issues at stake in the world? You betcha. I sincerely hope the campaign has that effect on others as well. That's what I'm getting from Kony 2012.
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14987, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:12 PM
This isn't entirely relevant, but just to throw into the mix: giving aid to foreign nations, particularly African nations, doesn't work.

Over the past 60 years at least $1 trillion of development-related aid has been transferred from rich countries to Africa. Yet real per-capita income today is lower than it was in the 1970s, and more than 50% of the population -- over 350 million people -- live on less than a dollar a day, a figure that has nearly doubled in two decades.

A constant stream of "free" money is a perfect way to keep an inefficient or simply bad government in power. As aid flows in, there is nothing more for the government to do -- it doesn't need to raise taxes, and as long as it pays the army, it doesn't have to take account of its disgruntled citizens. No matter that its citizens are disenfranchised (as with no taxation there can be no representation). All the government really needs to do is to court and cater to its foreign donors to stay in power.

Stuck in an aid world of no incentives, there is no reason for governments to seek other, better, more transparent ways of raising development finance (such as accessing the bond market, despite how hard that might be). The aid system encourages poor-country governments to pick up the phone and ask the donor agencies for next capital infusion. It is no wonder that across Africa, over 70% of the public purse comes from foreign aid.

I don't agree with everything this guy says in terms of what he believes to be the solution, but that general premise of why giving aid is a problem is true. It's a band-aid that hurts more than it helps. Focus should be on infrastructure development and education. But that takes effort, and we think we should just be able to pull out our wallets, enter in a credit card number, and then pat ourselves on the back. It's not that simple. We need to learn from those 60 years of donating and take a drastically different approach to aiding failed African states.
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 7050, member since Fri Aug 02, 2002
On Thu Mar 15, 2012 07:04 PM
Edited by SiyoNqoba (34789) on 2012-03-15 19:08:53
Yes, it is a very good thing that awareness about this issue has been raised.

However, I think the direction of this campaign is misguided, and more then a little insensitive to those who have suffered due to Kony's actions. The best way I can describe why I feel that way is to invite Americans to imagine, shortly after 9/11, a campaign coming out that involved t-shirts, bracelets, status updates, etc, all saying things like "Bin Laden 2001" and "Make Bin Laden famous."

This is a man who has caused untold suffering. I appreciate that the sensationalism has been successful in raising awareness, but there are some things just shouldn't be sensationalised.

EDIT: I spent about 10 minutes after having typed this up, wondering if I really should post it. Now I'm editing it, and still wondering. I'm worried that you'll be offended. I made a comparison to an extremely painful part of American history. But I decided that if you're offended by the idea of a bracelet saying "Bin Laden 2001," then I got my point across. So, I'm sorry if you're offended, but that you are is exactly what I'm saying :)
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 5126, member since Mon Jul 22, 2002
On Thu Mar 15, 2012 07:59 PM
some other perspectives:

www.youtube.com . . .

language warning on this one:
www.youtube.com . . .
By RattyPattymember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4261, member since Mon Dec 29, 2003
On Fri Mar 16, 2012 08:43 AM
I am very amazed at the sudden awareness, and I hope that it will convert into action. Last November I was at a panel with Jedediah Jenkins, the guy who made the Kony 2012 video,and Luis Moreno Ocampo, head prosecutor of the International Crime Court. They gathered at my school to ask us about ways to make youth aware about the issues that are going on in the world. We tossed around many ideas, from more films to be screened in schools and colleges, to alternate reality games, and of course, viral social media campaigning. At the time I was like, yeah, that's cool,but I doubt it will work. Now I'm very fascinated and I find it very interesting to see the mass spread of the viral film. It really opened my eyes up to how awareness can be nearly completely free, and I think that's super cool.

For the same reasons that SiyoNiqoba mentioned, I don't like the tone of the campaign, but I am glad people are becoming more aware. I find it a touchy topic, because I have some friends that are really into Invisible Children(and have been for a while), whereas myself and other friends don't really really know what to do with the information given to us. I can donate some money to the organization, but there are not other ways to help out that are very publicized. Some people suggest writing to your government officials, but I personally don't think my nation is currently in the position to intervene. Honestly, I feel kind of like throwing money at an organization will not necessarily solve much, and other than that I don't know what to do.
By Martha_Cecillemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1118, member since Sun Oct 12, 2008
On Fri Mar 16, 2012 03:13 PM
One of my favourite youtubers did an awareness vlog about KONY and I have to say I NEVER ever heard of him before!

I watch news everyday and I listened to a intellegual radio station in the morning while breakfast and I read newspapers and political magazines and I never came across an article about him/ it. That amazed me and it showed me that to spread the this video or vlog from youtubers etc wouldn't be a really bad thing, but I don't thing that wearing a t-shirt or a bracelet is the right thing to do.
That way having something of "this KONY thingy" would become kind of cool. Okay, many people would now the word KONY, but not many would really read a long article or a forum about this topic. Even I don't think I know enough about it to really discuss it and I already did my small research on this.

I know fan t-shirts and bracelets for festivals or flags for your car for the next "wm", so that would really sent the wrong message :/
On Fri Mar 16, 2012 04:14 PM
Well, so much for that trend

usnews.msnbc.msn.com . . .
Page:
Page 1 of 21 2

ReplySendWatch