Popular Irish

Free Irish Dance Board Game! by irishdanceok
Free printable Irish dance board game at www.leapsandlaughs.com . . .. Check it out and pass it on!

Forum: Ballet / Ballet - Beginners

Ballet - Beginners
what should I wear under my leotard? en>fr fr>en
By doctordance Comments: 166, member since Wed Sep 17, 2003
On Thu Mar 08, 2012 09:42 PM

Ok so I am going back to ballet, after 7 years away, and I am a beginner adult. I need to know - what should I wear under my leotard? I'll need 'support'! But don't want lines or bulges. All suggestions will be useful. The regular underwear stores were not helpful at all. What is a body stocking and would that be a good option?

Adults or those with fuller figures I would be particularly interested in your opinion here.

thanks!

19 Replies to what should I wear under my leotard?

re: what should I wear under my leotard? en>fr fr>en
By magdalenemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 396, member since Fri Apr 27, 2007
On Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:03 PM
tights and a sports bra (preferably not racerback)
By hummingbird Comments: 8370, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:08 PM
Body stockings are used so that stage lights don't make light coloured leotards see through under bright stage lights so they really aren't needed in classes. You might find a dance skirt is helpful in making you feel more comfortable in class. Just check your studio's dress code though.
On Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:25 PM
Thanks to both of you :) I should be more specific - where do you normally find decent sensible underwear to go under a leotard for class?
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3015, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:59 PM
I think what they are saying is that we don't wear underwear (gasp!), just tights. I have some extra weight hanging around and I still feel comfortable in class with just tights, bra and leo. As for bras a normal sports bra can be ok but if you are worried about what it looks like, I have a few nude body wrappers bras that work ok from discountdance.com They also have briefs and other undergarments there, including body tights if that would make you more comfortable.
By hummingbird Comments: 8370, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:03 PM
As I say to my students,'How many layers do you need? You already have tights and a leotard. How many layers do you wear under a swim suit?'

No one needs a VPL under a leotard, we don't wear knickers, we have tights...and a leotard, that's normally enough for most people :)
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5019, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:04 PM
No underwear and a regular under-wire bra (easier to hide than a sports bra and more comfortable, sports bras just make obscene cleavage on me).
On Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:10 PM
Fab, thanks! that's great advice everyone. I'll see how I go . . . uniform fitting is next Friday! I'll be able to ask then and there hopefully if I am still clueless! but not AS clueless now that you've all been so helpful.

Cheers.
By OneGiantLeap Comments: 490, member since Wed Apr 30, 2008
On Fri Mar 09, 2012 07:16 AM
Edited by OneGiantLeap (195632) on 2012-03-09 07:17:03 HTML code not working!
Edited by OneGiantLeap (195632) on 2012-03-09 07:17:48
Unless you are quite flat chested, do wear a sports bra. It's not the same as wearing something under a swimsuit, cos you don't jump up and down in a swimsuit.

Gravity is not your friend. Too much bouncing around can tear the breast tissue, and what goes up... will end up around your ankles. (for this reason underwired bras are also not your friend, especially during physical activity)

But the other thing is comfort. If you feel more or less better, with or without a bra, go with that. Most adults, with our adult bodies, wear some form of support to class.

(Polina Semionova is a more full chested than the average ballerina, but in photos it looks like she wears support to class, but not onstage.)

You might find this thread helpful: www.dance.net . . .
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 410, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Mar 10, 2012 04:50 AM
I still have not made it to tights only, and sometimes I wear my tights over my leo, so for those reasons I always wear a thong panty. I have heard of a "dance girdle" that is supposed to give a female dancer some support, but I have never even seen a picture of one, let alone a real one.
By KyisaJewellery Comments: 21, member since Fri Mar 30, 2012
On Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:34 PM
I would recommend a sports bra or a t-shirt bra to enure you dont get any seams showing through your top half. As for the rest, I would wear what you feel comfortable in! Last thing you want is to feel like you havent got enough support or you feel like you are being ripped to bits with your underwear!
By SarahdncrPremium member Comments: 410, member since Wed Jul 29, 2009
On Sat Apr 21, 2012 09:09 AM
You should be fine with a sports bra. While someone said don't, I think a racer back sports bra under a simple tank style leo would be fine. You do not need a body stocking as already has been mentioned, that garment is for a different purpose. As for unders, after all these years, I am still not brave enough to just wear tights only, so for dance class I wear a simple thong pantie under my tights and leo. Wearing a long short sleved T-shirt over the whole works is a great idea too, as it is mostly your leg and arm lines your instructor needs to see to work with you on. Good luck with starting adult class, you'll love it!
By toroandbruinmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3519, member since Fri Oct 10, 2008
On Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:58 AM
It depends on how you are built and what you are comfortable in. Personally, I need an adjustable and supportive type sports bra, not just the compression type which, on me, is not comfortable and results in the "squashed" look. The "Champion" line has some good ones:
www.championusa.com . . .
On Sun Apr 29, 2012 01:46 AM
Thanks for all your helpful comments. I have solved my dilemma thanks to Energetiks underwear :) A quick trip to the dance store nearby was the solution! Plus because of wearing a ballet wrap as part of our studio uniform I can wear a usual bra. Fab.

Hope that might be of help to other beginners!

x doctordance
By Gaudium Comments: 1337, member since Wed Apr 14, 2004
On Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:47 PM
Edited by Gaudium (90489) on 2012-06-11 12:47:46
It all depends upon your body build, weight distribution and mental comfort, I have danced with partners that wear there birthday suits without a problem but that is not for every dancer, so it depends on the individual and there likes and dislikes if you are uncomfortable changes need to be made.
By camymac_dancer Comments: 94, member since Sun Jul 01, 2012
On Sun Jul 08, 2012 03:11 PM
I think that tights should be your underwear as a dancer. I would recconend a sports bra to go under your leotard if you don't want any lines. I hope this helped you!
By DanceEvermore Comments: 41, member since Thu Aug 09, 2012
On Fri Aug 10, 2012 05:37 AM
I just wear a sports bra. Especially for ballet, I always try to choose one that flattens out my chest the most. Other than that, of course your tights.

I didn't go anywhere special for my sports bra. I don't really notice any lines from it, and I don't really care if the straps show because most people's do :)
By melanie1945 Comments: 21, member since Thu Jun 11, 2009
On Mon Sep 03, 2012 01:43 PM
Discount dance has a lot of awesome leotards with extra support. I always prefer wearing no bra or underwear, as I find it more comfortable and freeing to dance in. If you do need more support, I know my dance teacher let girls wear sports bras under their leos.
By taps2much Comments: 442, member since Mon Oct 22, 2007
On Wed Sep 05, 2012 05:32 AM
I have a bunch of sports bras, but most of them do not do the trick if I am going to be dancing heavily rather than just teaching and demonstrating. With all ridiculously dense 36DD of me I have found two amazing sports bras to dance in. They have little elasticity in the fabric, have cups and adjustable clasps (one even has adjustable THICK straps and can change from a standard to a racerback). I can't afford anything extravagant so I go searching the racks at the clearance places for 5 mins when i get a chance and the last one I found was on an emergency run for toothpaste and detergent at Target (Moments like these you are thankful for ADD). Check the bra and athletic racks everywhere you go and hopefully you will luck out like i have!
By honeybear1Premium member Comments: 40, member since Fri Oct 05, 2012
On Sun Oct 07, 2012 05:09 PM
I teach so I am going and going all day, and I am also full-figured. I wear a sports bra underneath my leotard (which I make sure is fully lined), and I just make sure that it is the same color as my leotard. I like wearing footless tights under my leotard, and I get those at plus size stores since plus size tights in dancewear are around size 12.

ReplySendWatch