Forum: Competitions

All American Talent questions
By Dance914
On Fri Mar 09, 2012 09:51 AM

I am interested in taking a small group of beginner dancers to the All American Talent competition in Voorhees NJ and I have a few I was hoping you could answer.

Does the studio receive a plaque or trophy for each dance?
Does each dancer go home with a ribbon, medal, etc?
Does the competition run on time?
Does this competition have different levels for beginners?

Thank you!

7 Replies to All American Talent questions

re: All American Talent questions
By nydancer815
On Fri Mar 09, 2012 01:49 PM
I have searched for feedback on this competition since September on numerous websites & blogs. There website has no pictures or videos posted. After trying to get a few others opinions and coming up with none, I chose to go to a different comp this year. If you go, lmk how it was!
By vfdtPremium member
On Sun Mar 11, 2012 02:02 PM
Yes, we just went to their 2/18 competition in King of Prussia. I had the same worries as you, as it was our first time with them, and we've only done two others prior. I did get quick replies from them that they were "always on time" and they were.

All American Talent turned out the be the BEST!! Everyone got ribbons triple the size of Access Broadway, and they give out tons of big shiny gold trophies to the studio. Our teen ballet solo got a "high gold" medal on a large neck ribbon too.

I don't remember a "debut division" but it didn't matter. Our two small groups wound up with Platinum, and a second trophy for "Highest Score" due to their many categories. The mega-studios that I saw flooding the better known competitions were absent, and the dances/costumes were age-appropriate - very important to our parents. We all had a wonderful time, and our 4-5 year olds were thrilled, as were their moms, who posted pics on Facebook. My only complaint was that their group awards ceremony started at 9 pm, and our babies couldn't stay that late.

We did not have the time or money to go to their Dance Convention the next day, but their judges who taught at it had excellent credentials. We are still waiting for our DVD from their video vendor; $35 per dance with a quantity discount that brought it down to $58 for our three entries.
By Dance914
On Sun Mar 11, 2012 06:48 PM
Thank you so much for your help! I am looking forward to taking my students to this competition!
By vfdtPremium member
On Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:35 PM
^^^ Following up on your comment above, did you go to the Voorhees NJ competition for "All American Talent?" Either way, let us know your feedback, as several others have been asking about them here on DDN. They don't post comp results on their website, so it's hard to determine what's happening with them.
By MissTalia
On Mon Apr 09, 2012 09:59 PM
Also went to Pennsylvania All American Talent. I was very dissatisfied with the competition. In the older girls divisions they only gave away platinum and high platinum. Really, it's an insult to the intelligence of students, parents, and teachers there are a few students that are not doing well at all and I felt the scoring at All American Talent undermined my efforts to help these kids improve! So, pardon my rant, but to answer your question yes every class gets a trophy and no matter how poorly you perform you'll surely get a platinum (high gold in the junior division).
By vfdtPremium member
On Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:59 AM
^^^ They were giving some "High Gold" at our location, and the judges made pertinant comments to our teen solo dancer, as well as things to work on for our groups. We weren't there looking for a "score" or ranking, as much as a pleasant experience for comp newbies, like ourselves. Having been to a mega-Comp the prior year, this was a nice change for us.
By MissTalia
On Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:08 AM
Edited by MissTalia (101138) on 2012-04-10 10:10:02
Vdft, I'm not one overly focused on scores. In my eyes, it's about the opportunity to be critiqued by professionals in the field. As well as to see what others are doing and where they are technically. There is something to be said about doing comps that are more challenging as well as the easier ones because sometimes were the " big fish" and other times we aren't!. I just feel it's ineffective to give away the same 2 scores throughout. How can a competition claim to have so many levels of scoring ( bronze, silver, gold, high gold.....) yet only give away the top two rankings? It was do very obvious all American talent was flat out kissing up to it's customers. This is why I prefer Cathy Roe, she gives away every score from silver to platinum, and the kids
have a stronger sense of which " percentile" we were in. There, when we get a platinum, I will be honest, I feel a sense of " it was earned."

Am I the only one who misses the old days of competition? Where you worked your behind off in hopes of bring the group/ solo in your category to get that gold ribbon/ trophy. If you didn't get it you kept pushing, and if you did get it...you kept working so it would be yours again the following season.

ReplySendWatch