Forum: General / Holidays

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
Plans to celebrate St. Patrick's Day?
By ChristinePremium member
On Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:51 AM

Image hotlink - 'http://diegocozar.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/irish-yoga.jpg'

The first local parade is today. They expect 100 thousand spectators. Wish I was there! Unfortunately, I'll have to watch it on TV while I bake soda bread.

Anyone else have plans?

Keep On Dancing*

27 Replies to Plans to celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

re: Plans to celebrate St. Patrick's Day? (karma: 1)
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Mar 10, 2012 06:34 PM
I'll be marching/dancing in the parade next week, and then performing in a stage show that night and the next day.
By seannettaPremium member
On Sat Mar 10, 2012 08:14 PM
I'm already celebrating - by performing in a parade today, at an Irish-themed event tomorrow, at retirement homes on Wednesday and Thursday, at several locations (some of which might involve pints of Guinness) on the big day itself, and at another parade in another city next Sunday. Whew.
By Becca
On Sat Mar 10, 2012 08:26 PM
I have 9 performances on St. Patrick's Day. It'll be a long day, especially since I am running them.
By Scarletmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:05 PM
March 17th is a Saturday and we live just up from the road from a renowned Irish pub (plus we've already got our drinking shirts, blurry photos to come).

We plan to go to the pub, and see if we can squeeze in for full Irish breakfast for me and vegetarian breakfast for Erin. Pints of the black stuff during... and then everything else can be pieced together from phone and camera records sometime the following week.

Mark
By Odessamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:25 PM
^ALL THAT, AND MORE! MORE I TELL YOU!

Erin.
::righteous babe::
On Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:32 PM
I can only promise that there will be some things that will be imbibed, and that there might be some things that either Erin or I will will regret.

But that will not include being Irish, oh no, my good sir. My modest proposal will be only that we drink until we are the poor.

Mark
By hummingbird
On Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:57 PM
One of my dance studio's has their picture day on St Paddies :( but I am going to make my dancers work for it by having a class feis later that week.
By Martha_Cecillemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:14 AM
oh my, I always forget about this holiday. We have an Irish Pub right around the corner, I'll check their events for the weekend!
By IrishLizzymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 12, 2012 07:00 PM
"St. Patrick's Day" isn't just a one day holiday for Irish dancers, it really encompasses the entire month for us haha.

Last Friday I danced at a retirement home, Wednesday I'll be dancing at a hospital, and Saturday I have a class in the early afternoon and then shows late afternoon and evening/night.
I love this time of year!!!
By ReelJiggered
On Mon Mar 12, 2012 07:42 PM
It's the best/busiest day of the year!! I danced at a bar last night and will be dancing at a couple retirement homes this weeks. On the day itself I'll be at the Irish pub promptly at 10am for some parade "pre-gaming" then it's parade time. After that, I'll take in a few basketball games (ya know, the OTHER March madness) and then end out the day by dancing at a couple bars in the evening. Can't wait!!
On Sat Mar 17, 2012 07:16 AM
I'm off to teach the Irish Washerwoman to five year olds.

Then, I'm going to the grocery store to feed my seven children and their guests for the next two days. (And just how "Irish" is it to have seven kids at my tender young age???)

Hope everyone has an invigorating day.

Keep On Dancing*

ps. This is my favorite holiday! Is anyone else playing Irish music all day? Name that tune!

Keep On Dancing*
By hummingbird
On Sat Mar 17, 2012 08:04 AM
Christine wrote:

Then, I'm going to the grocery store to feed my seven children and their guests for the next two days. (And just how "Irish" is it to have seven kids at my tender young age???)

Keep On Dancing*

It's not very Irish nowadays to have lots of children, all of my Irish friends thought I was mad having four, (there are days when I agree) most of them had two!
re: Plans to celebrate St. Patrick's Day?
By kandykanePremium member
On Sat Mar 17, 2012 09:27 AM
The kids are all coming over, but not because it's Paddy's Day, just because it's the end of spring break. I was thinking I'd make chili one more itme before it gets too warm to make it again this season. Plus it's easy, feeds a crowd. Guess I need something green..... guacamole and chips! That'll do. Mexican Paddy's day! :) I'll have to find my shamrock earrings.

kk~
By Caulfieldmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sat Mar 17, 2012 09:50 AM
Pub. Dancing. Irish whiskey. Celtic bands. Happy Caufield.
By Tansey
On Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:12 AM
Edited by Tansey (209516) on 2012-03-17 10:14:13
Edited by Tansey (209516) on 2012-03-17 10:34:44
It's the first year in at least 10 that my Irish dancer daughter isn't performing from morning til night, with me as chauffeur. She's in college now and taking this semester off from dance, so it's a different St Paddy's Day for me, but a peaceful one. I made 3 loaves of my grandmother's Irish bread and delivered one to her Irish dance teacher. I am enjoying a slice with good Irish tea. This evening I'll bring the third loaf to a friend's St. Patrick's Day party.
Happy St. Patrick's Day, DDNers!
By Sumayah
On Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:24 AM
A little Irish in my coffee this morning and then my sister and I are going to a pub and getting our Guinness on. Mmm. I love Guinness on tap.
On Sat Mar 17, 2012 06:17 PM
We got in for breakfast at the local pub, (we got in as they were opening the doors, so we arrived before any of those who managed to get bookings).

Breakfast in the tap room before going home for a couple of cans of Guinness and Kilkenny and a nap. After nap we headed back out.

Well, by now our local was packed to capacity and by the time we got there they were refusing entry for the rest of the night.

Sin an saol. We should have gone out earlier.

So we went to a less local pub, had a couple of pints and got to hear the band play "Dirty Old Town" and sing along before leaving and having that old traditional Irish staple food: Doner Kebabs.
By Catherinemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Mar 17, 2012 06:58 PM
Tonight I am watching hockey (go Leafs!!) but tomorrow we are marching in the oldest St. Patrick`s Day Parade in Canada. The 188th Montreal St. Patrick`s Day Parade.
By hummingbird
On Sat Mar 17, 2012 07:48 PM
One of the mums brought Baileys to go in our coffee for photo day, of course I was shocked and horrified on the outside...but I had to have some for St Paddies :D
On Sat Mar 17, 2012 08:05 PM
^I think it was right mannerly of you to accept a gift in the spirit of St. Patrick.

Baileys in morning coffee is practically like sacramental wine on this feast day, isn't it?

Well...if it isn't it should be.

Keep On Dancing*
By PogMoGilliesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:00 PM
St Pat's day is coming to an end, but it isn't over for me. I danced shows on tuesday, thursday, and friday, marched in the parade this morning, and performed in a stage show (as opposed to the 30 min shows we dance at retirement centers and schools). I have blisters under both big toes due to the slightly too large shoes I wore this morning for the parade, and I have the stage show again tomorrow and another show tuesday.

Happy St Pats day!
By Moonlitefairy06member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:59 AM
I thought I was going to be spending all day writing a fellowship application but I did end up going out a bit. I always end up doing something non traditional with my friends because every Irish Pub is so over crowded. There were lines to get in places at 3:00pm yesterday. It being on a Saturday and unusually warm weather made it crazier. Last year I went to a Spanish Restaurant. This year I went to a Chinese Hot Pot Restaurant. That was cool. Theres a big pot of simmering broth in the middle of the table and you order raw meat, vegetables and noodles and cook it in the pot and then add your own spices and stuff. After that all my friends did come back to my apartment and we made Bailey's milkshakes. We had to something somewhat Irish! I also did get the statement of purpose done for my application too. So overall it was a good day, but I'm so tired today!
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Mar 18, 2012 03:18 PM
I'm so tired.

Any other Irish dancers with me on this?
By reeldancer123
On Sun Mar 18, 2012 09:54 PM
sjerose wrote:

I'm so tired.

Any other Irish dancers with me on this?

ME. I have wicked shin splints. Ive had ice packs on my legs all day.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch