Forum: Disco / Disco - 18+

Disco - 18+
when did you know it was time to retire
By starlet_debz Comments: 1723, member since Tue Oct 10, 2006
On Sun Mar 11, 2012 07:25 AM
Edited by debzdanceecosse (168217) on 2012-03-11 07:26:57
Edited by debzdanceecosse (168217) on 2012-03-11 08:56:42

hi

last september i started competing again after a two year break and have only really done two/three comps and i just dont feel like it's the same for me as it was before.

im not getting the same feeling at competitions like i used the nerves, excitment and adrenalin dont seem to be there anymore and to be honest i just dont seem to have as much enthusiam about being on the floor i know my confidence isn't briliant at the moment and thought it was just because of that but im seriously starting to feel like my hearts just not with it

my current teacher has agreed to put me through my teachers exams when i retire and ive recently helped my teacher with lessons etc. just to see how i'd get on with it and did comment saying that i was doing great and i absolutly loved the teaching part im now at a loss as what to do as in do i carry on a little longer and see how i feel then or start working towards my teachers :/

has anyone else experienced this? when did you know it was the right time to stop ?

sorry about the essay :P

any advice would be appreciated :)

love debbie xxx

11 Replies to when did you know it was time to retire

re: when did you know it was time to retire
By Ex_discodancer Comments: 106, member since Sun Feb 26, 2012
On Sun Mar 11, 2012 09:40 AM
Hi Debbie , i quit a few years ago (17) as i lost all confidence within myself due to my body shape , most of the girls i was dancing with or against where and still are stick thin .Im not the slimmest of girls or as flexible and i put me off wanting to go .

If your hearts not there than do what you think is right ,i'm 21 now and back doing freestyle disco with a fab new school , ok im the oldest there but im doing it for fitness and a comp every now and then just to boost myself .

As for teacher training this may be a way for you to still dance and attend comps so that you still feel involved . If you need a natter feel free to pm me as alot of what your feeling ive felt /been through

Take care
Marcia xx
By starlet_debz Comments: 1723, member since Tue Oct 10, 2006
On Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:41 AM
hi

i have totally lost most of my flexibility and I hate it as just before I stopped my flexibilty wasnt amazing but it was quite good could do box splits,long splits, front leg hold etc.

i stopped at 20 im 23 now cant do splits anymore and my leg holds aren't as good as what they were thats also been praying on my mind :(

love debbie xxx
By Ex_discodancer Comments: 106, member since Sun Feb 26, 2012
On Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:31 PM
Hi Debbie , exactly the same issues as what i have , but don't let them hold you back .I have to do 20 /30 mins every morning of stretches and i can now do the spilts high kicks and i will eventually do a batch catch even if it kills me ( try using a old dressing gown rope it works wonders as well as the rubber bands off ebay for streching with) . Im currently a size 16/18 sometimes a 14 but im never out of breathe when dancing my stamina is there and so are my fitness levels , hoping the dance will "remove" my fat , but heres hoping .

Marcia xxx
By Milly_xmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4755, member since Fri Dec 12, 2003
On Sun Mar 11, 2012 01:30 PM
I think deep down you just know. When I retired was sort of decided to as I moved 2 and half hours away to go to uni and couldn't afford to dance anymore so I retired the summer as I left in the September. But I knew it was time. Getting up and going dancing seemed like a chore and looking back, I became so lazy and never put much effort into lessons and my teachers saw that too.

Teaching is a completely different experience and now I'm back working towards my teachers 3 years later, makes me miss competing especially when I'm with the kids at comps but the buzz of seeing them do well does make up for you not receiving the trophy.

You know in your heart of hearts what right for you. If the buzz has gone and that's what kept you there originally, maybe that is a huge sign but if it's just because of your lack flexibility, then that's something that will come back and what you should be working hard towards.

Have a word with your teacher again. They will be able to see a difference in your effort and I think if they notice, it says alot.

Good Luck in whatever you decide :) it's a hard decision so don't worry as all of us will have been there at some point!

Emily xx
By Dancelines Comments: 75, member since Tue Jan 10, 2012
On Tue Mar 13, 2012 04:03 AM
Its never easy to make a decision on something you love so our advice would be to follow your instincts its all anyone can do in this thing we call life x
By Jodee_babesmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4537, member since Wed Dec 14, 2005
On Wed Apr 04, 2012 07:38 PM
Hey,

You'll just know, its not an easy decision!

My teacher was also my best friend, we went to every comp together and I had lessons with him most nights. When he left to go to uni, although my other teachers were fab it wasn't the same. I began thinking my time was up but continued.

I then went to a festival and didn't want to be there. So much so I went home on the saturday night and came back on the sunday. That was when I realised I wasn't happy. I walked out of the comp on Sunday and never looked back.

This is something I regret, but I'd never of left without a gut instinct and going.

Don't get me wrong I miss it every single day! And would love to go back but I left because I'd done what I needed to do :)

Good Luck hun!

<3
By majicdancer Comments: 1069, member since Sun Nov 04, 2007
On Wed May 16, 2012 04:27 AM
The thing thats pushing me away now is the money is costs to carry on competing.

I know when i was at my peak and doing the best and enjoying it the most i was under 16 starter. Im now an adult champ.

I moved schools last year to give myself a big push and its helped me keep with freestyle a while longer. and i love it so much still. im going to miss it. but ive moved out of my parents house now and me and my boyfriend have our own place i just cant warrant spending money on dancing anymore. :( its a shame though.

I have paid for a festival in october so im going to retire at this one. Im 20 in september so will downgrade to inters on my birthday so hopefully have more of a chance at my last comp but i doubt it my body just cant go as fast, jump as high or dance as long as it used to.

Good luck with whatever decision you take let us know how your getting on :) xx
By ClaireLianne Comments: 34, member since Thu May 24, 2012
On Sat May 26, 2012 03:24 AM
Good luck making your decision, it isn't an easy one to make.
I suppose my situation is fairly similar. I competed for over 10 years and the opportunity came up to do my teachers exams. After all the years of hard work it was only natural to move on and get a qualification for it. In all honesty I still miss the buzz I used to get from competing and would still compete now if I could.
I don't actually teach at the moment but it is something I know I can always go back to. I'm sure you will love teaching others, and helping them enjoy competing as much as you used to.
Claire x
By ailsya Comments: 47, member since Mon Jun 18, 2007
On Sat May 26, 2012 10:47 AM
hi, its not about age or money in the end its that feeling that things are not the same any more.
the worst thing must be to be pushed out, to feel that the school cant be bothered with you any more for whatever reason, that is soul destroying, and i have known it to happen, not often, but does happen.
trust yourself, give it a few weeks/months, have a change, then you will know.

ailsya x
By xrach_danseurx Comments: 487, member since Mon Jan 01, 2007
On Sat May 26, 2012 10:54 AM
Hey :D I'm 20 now and I retired last year when I was 19 It was a hard decision because i had been there so long and loved everyone to pieces but the love for comps wasn't there anymore. I continued until I got offered my dream job and a chance i HAD to take yes i miss it because it was such a great thing. I did no dance at all until about a month ago and i now do tap and jazz in an adults class and im loving it. I think i would have continued f I didn't get my job but things happen for a reason and you will know when ties right for you
xxRachaelxx
By Abzmum Comments: 28, member since Fri Aug 05, 2011
On Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:24 AM
you may start to feel your stamina is going downhill and your flexiblity is failing you might start to feel not that much in love with dancing than you were to start with xx abi x

ReplySendWatch