Forum: General / Jazz / Lyrical

Mental roadblocks! Please give me some ideas for how to get through them!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 12, 2012 08:30 PM
Locked by Theresa (28613) on 2012-06-24 16:14:28 thanks, that dance is done now!

In our lyrical dance, we have a move that, for lack of a better way to put it, I've got a complete mental roadblock when it comes to completing it. I can be doing the routine pitch perfect to that point, then I just can't keep going.

You do two chaine turns across the stage, collapse onto your left hip so that you're facing the back with your left leg extended and your right leg straight. You then roll to your right, and wind up on your knees, looking off stage.

For the life of me, I can't get into the collapse. I want there to be a prep. Our instructor always says that lyrical should be about what feels natural to your body. Rolling out of two turns and promptly collapsing doesn't even feel a teeny, tiny bit natural for me. Not even a little bit. I want there to be some sort of preparation to go into that collapse.

Since I'm not going to get it, then...uh, how do I get it? Any ideas for making it through those choreography blocks?

1 Replies to Mental roadblocks! Please give me some ideas for how to get through them!

re: Mental roadblocks! Please give me some ideas for how to get through them!
By AlwaysOnStagePremium member
On Mon Mar 12, 2012 08:39 PM
For going down to the floor, i get a different imagery from chaines.

Chaines, to me, feel something like small hulahoops. The energy is tight to the body, but it's a horizontal circular motion. Going down to the floor, though, is more like a drill downward. So, my inclination would be to lift "up" at the very last of the second chaine, and then use imagery of drilling down to help my legs collapse the correct distance so my correct hip gets to the floor.

When in doubt, go for muscle memory. If your muscles get it, then it begins to feel natural...I have been known to get to class early and do a move forward, backward, forward, backward in the hopes of not making a certain mistake again, and it often worked for me.

ReplySendWatch

Message locked, no more replies allowed