Forum: Competitions

Help!
By mherman0411
On Tue Mar 20, 2012 06:53 PM

My petite competition team (average age 8), won 1st place in their division at their first competition. They are now preparing for their second which is this weekend. Out of the six on the team, only one has been on a competition team before. I worry that they will be too over-confident this weekend and it will have a bad effect on their dance. Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent this?

Also, the dance that won 1st place is the last dance of the entire competition this weekend. They were the very first at their previous competition. What are your opinions on allowing them to watch all the dances? I usually have my students watch as little as possible from backstage to try to prevent them from getting to cocky or nervous, but I don't think I can prevent them from watching the entire competition. Any advice? Opinions?

Thanks!

2 Replies to Help!

re: Help!
By missliz404
On Tue Mar 20, 2012 08:06 PM
I think if you tell them what you just told us, I think it will help a lot.

Do you have a video of their last competition? Watching it with them and giving constructive criticism will help them realize that they still have improvements to make. They aren't perfect just because they won.

I also encourage my girls and their families to try and avoid watching the routines that they are competing against. I think it just psychs them out. However, if I noticed that they were becoming overly confident and their scores didn't match their confidence, it might see the benefits of having them see what they're up against with their own eyes.
re: Help!
By DaDancingPsych
On Wed Mar 21, 2012 07:08 AM
I also want to throw out there that this might be a good problem to have. While I don't like to see anyone fail, if they walk in over-confident, thinking that they are amazing and have slacked on preparations, then they are less likely to win first place. It is a humbling learning experience. Back in the studio, you can discuss what areas need improvement (not in a "I told you so" way, but just giving reason for the lower placement.) Hopefully, this will inspire them to work harder next time!!!

ReplySendWatch