Forum: Competitions

conventions or workshops WITHOUT competition?
By MissAshleyRose
On Wed Mar 21, 2012 01:14 PM

Hi!

My studio is not huge on competitions, we do at most 2 a year. However I really want to take my girls to a great convention. Has anyone been to or heard of a convention that is on its own, without a competition?

12 Replies to conventions or workshops WITHOUT competition?

re: conventions or workshops WITHOUT competition?
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Wed Mar 21, 2012 02:03 PM
There are several and most competition/convention combos allow you just to take the workshops.

Access Broadway is one we do a lot. They even teach them how to audition, too.

We have done Pulse, Jump, DMA, DEA, NAADA, Co. Dance, NYCDA, Step With Me and more.
By missingcharmin
On Wed Mar 21, 2012 07:45 PM
All of them you can go to without competing. I know that pulse does not have a competition attached- just a performance.
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Wed Mar 21, 2012 07:48 PM
Yes, they do not need to compete. Access Broadway has levels and two styles, too, musical theater and dance.
By dancerasa
On Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:59 AM
I was going to state that. just because a convention is connected to a competition doesnt mean you have to do it. Also tremaine is awesome too...if they come near you. But check them all out, yo dont have to compete!
By taps2much
On Fri Mar 23, 2012 08:01 PM
This year we brought a handful of kids to DanceMakers just for the workshop as they were in our town. My kids loved the workshop experience but I made the mistake of following the competition guidelines for age/ability. For the convention/competition my 12/13/14's attended the teen category. The RULES for competition is 13-15 the SUGGESTION for convention it is 11-13! THAT IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE. After the first 1.5 classes I moved my 13/14 year-olds to the senior room. They stood there dumbfounded as they went from the best in the teen room to mediocre in the advanced room, but eventually (and after a very intense convo with me)they got their butts out there and danced...and loved it.

Access Broadway: I brought 3 kids in 1 trio to compete and 15 other kids split between MT and dance to the workshops. My younger kids loved it, my older kids were bored with tap (their strength, appropriately challenged with hip hop and contemporary, but completely overwhelmed with T Lake's jazz class. They take 1 hour jazz, 1 hour modern, 1 hour tap and 3-6 hours ballet tech (not including pointe work). I watched the senior class and it had nothing to do with the choreo he teaches (very heavy ballet influence which i love!) but the issue was the speed that he taught. Definitely something that my students can work on and as a studio we will work on the ability to pick up combos FAST for those above an advanced beginner/intermediate level!
By eu_dancer_girl
On Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:10 PM
The Pulse and Artists Simply Human both only have a Showcase, no competition. The Showstopper Convention has no competition and no showcase, just classes.

But I've been to nuvo and Tremaine both without competing and it was still great!

Usually you can take class without competing, just not vice versa. To compete you generally have to be registered for the workshop.
By MissMerry
On Mon Mar 26, 2012 08:54 AM
I don't do competitions but I try to take my dancers to two conventions a year. I go to Dancemakers every year. I also try to go to one that doesn't have a competition I have done Showstoppers, Shock the Intensive, and Wild About Dance(they only travel to a few cities.) All of them were in the fall.

I did Showstoppers for several years but my girls were wanting to try something different and I also only wanted to do a one day one so we tried Wild About Dance in 2010 and the one in my city had about 50 students or so in each room which was nice not to many. I was probably going to attend again but the weekend for 2011 didn't work for my studio (they went from the beginning of November to the beginning of December, not sure if they always are changing dates or if it just happened this last year.) So we ended up trying Shock and my girls enjoyed themselves also they only had about 50 students in the older classrooms.
By MissAshleyRose
On Tue Mar 27, 2012 08:15 AM
Thanks! I will check into all of these!!
By leeleedk
On Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:55 PM
My studio has participated in the Showstopper convention in myrtle beach for 6 years (this isnt the only city). The dancers love the classes and staff! I also am a big fan of the positive energy the techers give. Not only are there classes, but they also have a pajama party on the friday night that Dena Rizzo taeches. Overall, the technique and choreography is amazing!
By gottadance71
On Sun Apr 15, 2012 04:59 AM
I'm looking for the same thing. I know that you can go to these conventions and NOT compete but once my kids find out you CAN compete they would want to. The group that I am looking to introduce to a convention doesn't understand that they are not ready to compete. Not really interested in showing them the hard way lol. Are there many (if any) conventions out there that just simply don't offer comps?
By eu_dancer_girl
On Sun Apr 15, 2012 05:59 AM
gottadance71 wrote:

I'm looking for the same thing. I know that you can go to these conventions and NOT compete but once my kids find out you CAN compete they would want to. The group that I am looking to introduce to a convention doesn't understand that they are not ready to compete. Not really interested in showing them the hard way lol. Are there many (if any) conventions out there that just simply don't offer comps?

there were a few mentioned. The Pulse (although I would not suggest The Pulse for convention newbies), Artists Simply Human, The Showstopper Convention (has no comp. it's classes only), WILD is now only one day and no competition either.
By gottadance71
On Sun Apr 15, 2012 06:16 AM
Thank you! They all look great but the only one in my area was the WILD one! Looks perfect though. Just what we are looking for.
:)

ReplySendWatch