Forum: Music / Music & Songs

Need a Creepy or Depressing Recorded Poem to dance to
By pointeprincessSDmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Mar 26, 2012 06:34 PM

Does anybody know of any poems that dancers use for a solo that are easy to connect to? THANKS! It helps if the poem is an mp3 on iTunes.

13 Replies to Need a Creepy or Depressing Recorded Poem to dance to

re: Need a Creepy or Depressing Recorded Poem to dance to
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Mar 26, 2012 06:50 PM
You could always do an original poem. Unless you want a famous one.

I've written many weird/creepy poems.
On Mon Mar 26, 2012 07:13 PM
Haha, I'm not much of a writer!

I'm looking for something similar to Emilie Autumn's album, "Your Sugar Sits Untouched". Something sad, creepy, attention grabbing.
On Mon Mar 26, 2012 07:29 PM
Just looked her up, and listened a bit. Is there a reason why you don't want to use that particular artist? Do you want something with music in the back ground?
On Mon Mar 26, 2012 08:16 PM
I could definitely use one of her songs. Which ones did you like? Some are so short though.... :(
On Mon Mar 26, 2012 09:11 PM
pointeprincessSD wrote:

I could definitely use one of her songs. Which ones did you like? Some are so short though.... :(

I'll listen again and let you know. You could edit two or more of them together.
re: Need a Creepy or Depressing Recorded Poem to dance to (karma: 1)
By Sumayah
On Mon Mar 26, 2012 09:26 PM
Just my opinion, but you're going about this all wrong. If you're doing poetry, especially for a solo, it needs to be something that compels you to choreograph to it. Don't choose a poem because someone else likes it, choose a poem because it speaks to you; it practically grabs you by the neck and forces you to set movement to it. Sort through the poetry that moves you and that you feel your dancer will connect with and narrow down the choices and then let your dancer choose the one that speaks to her. You cannot (in my opinion) do something like that if you both aren't feeling it and are deeply committed and connected to it. So, if you want to use poetry, then pick the pieces that you want to see a dance to and go from there.
On Mon Mar 26, 2012 09:51 PM
Sumayah wrote:

Just my opinion, but you're going about this all wrong. If you're doing poetry, especially for a solo, it needs to be something that compels you to choreograph to it. Don't choose a poem because someone else likes it, choose a poem because it speaks to you; it practically grabs you by the neck and forces you to set movement to it. Sort through the poetry that moves you and that you feel your dancer will connect with and narrow down the choices and then let your dancer choose the one that speaks to her. You cannot (in my opinion) do something like that if you both aren't feeling it and are deeply committed and connected to it. So, if you want to use poetry, then pick the pieces that you want to see a dance to and go from there.

I agree. The OP does have a poet she likes, she just needs some help picking the right one?

I remember back in when I was in high school my modern teacher had us dance to a poem and it was awesome.

If I were choreographing to a poem, I would definitely do one that I wrote (I'd probably have someone else do the reading to record it). I'd probably have a hard time choosing, I have quite a few (kitsune-majere.deviantart.com . . . if you are curious).
By NeonDancer
On Tue Mar 27, 2012 08:45 AM
Where Have All the Children Gone is very creepy and perhaps you could add sound effects or parts of a dark concerto or something. Just an idea.
By YumYumDoughnutPremium member
On Tue Mar 27, 2012 09:17 AM
I know you are going for the Poem thing, but if you ever need a creepy song check out " The Spine Song" by Cake Bake Betty.

www.youtube.com . . .
On Tue Mar 27, 2012 01:46 PM
Sumayah wrote:

I was just seeing if she liked any poems specifically that could be used to dance to. She's definitely not the only deciding factor. :)
On Tue Mar 27, 2012 09:16 PM
pointeprincessSD wrote:

I was just seeing if she liked any poems specifically that could be used to dance to. She's definitely not the only deciding factor. :)

www.youtube.com . . .

www.youtube.com . . .

I like these.
By DanceAngel909
On Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:43 PM
Hungry Lucy does creepy sad depressing type music....try "Balloon Girl"
On Sun Apr 01, 2012 08:46 PM
Know any songs with the Garden of Eden theme? Poems too! Thanks!

ReplySendWatch