Forum: Advice / Modeling & Pageantry

Modeling & Pageantry
Regarding Age and Pageants
By fdlgirl_002member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 485, member since Mon Dec 16, 2002
On Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:06 PM

So, I haven't been on ddn in a while. But I'm back :)

I was just reading a few threads asking for advices about when to start pageants and how to get started. After reading some of the replies, I'm a little disheartened.

I started competing in pageants when I was 16. I did Miss Wisconsin Teen USA and actually placed in the top 10 my first year and 1st runner up (2nd place) my second year. And you know what? I did that without paying a coach. I was able to seek out advice from people who had competed in the past and I spoke with a former titleholder who helped me immensely--all free of charge.

I currently hold a local title in the Miss America system and at the age of 22, I have not paid for formal coaching in the last 4 years. When I won my current title, I actually threw everything that my coaches taught me out the window and did what I knew best--and that was to be myself.

Now, I'm not trying to say that pageant coaches are bad. I personally know a lot of girls who pay for coaching and they do very well. However, I also know a lot of girls who pay for coaching and I've placed better than them without coaching.

So basically what I am trying to say is that it really doesn't matter what age you start competing, all that matters is that you have the motivation to do it. Talk to girls who have competed before. Watch pageants live and on TV. Check out youtube and other online sources--there are literally THOUSANDS of free pageant resources. You do not NEED to seek out and pay for a "professional" pageant coach because really, some of the best resources you have are girls who have competed before and current pageant directors.

Where's a good place to start when you want to enter the pageant world? I really and truly believe in the Miss America Organization. To compete in a local Miss America pageant, you are required to fundraise a $100 donation to Children's Miracle Network, which is the national platform (and my personal platform). That's it. $100. There are also plenty of resources where you can rent wardrobe material and many girls will loan wardrobe when you compete in a local pageant. MAO is a GREAT place to start competing if you are under the age of 24.

That's all I have for now. If you have questions, email me :)

1 Replies to Regarding Age and Pageants

re: Regarding Age and Pageants
By Chaconnemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 6359, member since Thu Jul 12, 2007
On Sat Mar 31, 2012 09:51 AM
It's nice to see you back fellow Badger! (Though I haven't lived there in 48 years.) I was thinking about you and wondering where you went when I passed through (by) your town and stopped at the local Culver near the highway bypass en route to Madison. Wife and I were in Manitowoc for her class reunion (mine was the year before) and her mom's 90th.

Jon

ReplySendWatch