Forum: Competitions

Consistency with competition dancers
By balletstar05member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Mar 31, 2012 01:26 PM

We were discussing the inconsistency in our competition dancers today and wondering if anyone had any tips, tricks, ect. They'll perform their heart out one day and totally lose it the next (falling out of turns, not as sharp, not as sure,ect). Or amazing things to tell them so that they "get" it?!? Lol. Looking for a magical answer but maybe there isn't one :)

4 Replies to Consistency with competition dancers

re: Consistency with competition dancers
By NJDance
On Sat Mar 31, 2012 02:07 PM
I have no advice, but I am looking forward to other responses. My fellow teachers and I talk about this all the time. Our company dancers are unpredictable! Very inconsistent and so frustrating for me as a teacher!
By balletstar05member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Mar 31, 2012 02:38 PM
Well at least I know I'm not alone! Thinking back to their performance today, we have a step that is done 3 different times in the same dance. One girl did it incorrectly the first time, but nailed it the 2nd two times. It's not like it's a technically difficult step either. What was that about?! You know?! Lol
By missliz404
On Sat Mar 31, 2012 05:26 PM
Ugh, you read my mind. I let some of my kids have it at rehearsal today. There's two right now that are driving me bananas. It's not even a matter of not applying corrections. They apply corrections when I give them, but then for some reason beyond my realm of understanding, THEY GO BACK TO DOING IT WRONG! It makes me want to scream.

I don't think there is a magical answer. I think some kids just space out. I think some actually kid themseleves into thinking I won't notice. Either way, I've noticed that it really helps to praise those who are consistent. I have to really remind myself to do this so I don't get caught up just scolding those who mess up. I have a chart that I use that rewards those who follow all my rules and do their best. I just haven't utilized it this year as much as I thought I would. Maybe I'm the one who needs a lesson in consistency!
By loverofballet
On Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:09 PM
Edited by loverofballet (205895) on 2012-03-31 23:20:26
I'm not sure what ages you are talking about, but for intermediate-advanced level dancers, I apply the following:

When it comes to building consistency first you need training that is focused, concentrated, with intensity. You also need to keeping distractions away. Once you feel they can do the routine several times in a row without making a mistake, then bring in the distractions (audience) to watch and then see if the consistency falls apart.

Also, when rehearsing them, if I'm rehearsing part of the group, the others are either practicing, stretching quietly or listening to my corrections. They are not allowed to chat with each other.

Videotape them so they can see where their inconsistencies are. then drill that area of the dance over and over again.

Competition dancers must learn discipline and to keep their minds on what they are doing.

ReplySendWatch