Forum: Advice / Pilates/Yoga

Pilates/Yoga
pilates dilemma
By reelerin96 Comments: 56, member since Mon Apr 05, 2010
On Tue Apr 10, 2012 09:25 AM

i want to do pilates to help me with my dancing (irish)

i was all excited and ready to go to the class but the only one they have in the area is on the same day as my dance class

so whats key movements exercises i can do at home to help with dancing and is there any good videos on the interent you know off?
thanks

6 Replies to pilates dilemma

re: pilates dilemma
By hummingbird Comments: 10419, member since Mon Apr 18, 2005
On Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:17 AM
You'll find that doing Pilates from a DVD will be very much like learning dance from a DVD, you will get bad habits and it won't be as effective as learning from an instructor. There's no way a DVD will go into every fault that can happen in an exercise and you won't always be aware of it going wrong anyway.

Having said that these are some good DVD's that do go into the basic principles in quite a bit of detail.

This pack is on special at the moment, it has 3 Matwork DVD's and one for flex band with two flex bands included.

This is a good one too.

store.stottpilates.com . . .

This is my favourite piece of light equipment, it's really great for balancing out the abductors and the adductors on your legs

and another pack with 3 DVD's

By Coccinellamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5930, member since Sat Jan 25, 2003
On Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:09 AM
I agree with Hummingbird. I currently use Pilates DVD's but I took courses with a certified instructor where I did Pilates with my ballet class for an hour before class two times per week for 8 weeks and we did that at two times over the year. Learning how to do things properly as a teenager allowed me to learn the technique of how my abs and lower back should be positioned and how my breathing should feel, etc. I use a Gaiam DVD with Ana Caban as the instructor and she is quite good at explaining things in an understandable way.
On Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:40 AM
That was really helpful of me, I left out the first link.

By reelerin96 Comments: 56, member since Mon Apr 05, 2010
On Thu Apr 12, 2012 07:26 AM
thanks for your suggestions guys, it turns out they might be offering a class near me soon starting in may or june so i might just hang in and wait and see
By xBallet_babex Comments: 1300, member since Thu Jul 17, 2008
On Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:29 AM
I'll tick people off by saying this, but I think classes are overrated at least 50% of the time. The one at my gym is taught by what I assume is a weekend certified person because she teaches mostly athletic classes all week plus Pilates, I never see them doing anything that looks remotely like the Pilates that I've done and they don't correct form. If your class is someone who teaches a LOT of other things, assume he/she is a jack of all trades, but a master of none and you'll learn as much in that class as you will from a DVD. If you are going to a Pilates Studio or to a class that is taught by a teacher with real qualifications that specializes in it, it is worth it to go to the class.

Ana Caban is on Hulu now if I remember correctly so you can try it out for free. I have some Windsor Pilates and this Dvd.
www.overstock.com . . . and the guy talks a lot about form and then shows a couple reps of the exercise so it's more education the first few times through.
On Sun Apr 15, 2012 01:17 PM
xBallet_babex wrote:

I'll tick people off by saying this, but I think classes are overrated at least 50% of the time. The one at my gym is taught by what I assume is a weekend certified person because she teaches mostly athletic classes all week plus Pilates, I never see them doing anything that looks remotely like the Pilates that I've done and they don't correct form. If your class is someone who teaches a LOT of other things, assume he/she is a jack of all trades, but a master of none and you'll learn as much in that class as you will from a DVD. If you are going to a Pilates Studio or to a class that is taught by a teacher with real qualifications that specializes in it, it is worth it to go to the class.

The same can be said of most dance instructors, so why go to the bother of paying out for dance instruction...

ReplySendWatch