Forum: Disco / Disco - 18+

Disco - 18+
how much of your dancing do you pay for by yourself? and how do you manage money and dancing?
By DanceManiacLauzmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 2475, member since Sun Jan 28, 2007
On Tue Apr 10, 2012 02:25 PM

firstly, this is my first post on this page as i have turned 18 last month :)

just wondered how much of your dancing do all of you pay for and how you juggle everything?? ive always never had pocket money from a young age so i could have some ballroom lessons, and in the last few years paid for nearly all of my festivals, some of my private lessons and comps, and pay some money to my parents monthly.
but now im 18 i think i should be contributing more! i am in need of a new slow costume soon, and dont think its fair to ask my parents so much as im now older, but find it hard to work and dance and be at college at the same time!
advice appreciated pkease :)

8 Replies to how much of your dancing do you pay for by yourself? and how do you manage money and dancing?

re: how much of your dancing do you pay for by yourself? and how do you manage money and dancing?
By SianyRolls99member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4591, member since Mon Jul 19, 2010
On Wed Apr 11, 2012 04:04 AM
When I used to dance my mum made me pay my own way with tickets etc.
With suits if I saved up for half of it she would help me with the other half. But we never went mad on suits we just bought second hand ones.
I did all this working only 11 hours a week and found doing extra things for money really helped like Market Researches or washing cars/cleaning... Sounds silly but it helped!
I'd make sure I saved for tickets for comps and 2 privates a month from my pay cheque. And if I didn't have the money then I didn't go to the comp or have the private lessons!

I think if you talk to your parents you can come up with a situation that will balance out what you pay for and what they will contribute too :)

Good Luck

xxxxx
re: how much of your dancing do you pay for by yourself? and how do you manage money and dancing?
By Ex_discodancer Comments: 106, member since Sun Feb 26, 2012
On Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:28 AM
From the age of 15 i always paid towards my lessons and my suits ,my mother being a single parent of 4 girls didnt really have the funds to splash out on us , so i took it upon myself to find a saturday job £50 a weekend cash in hand hanging up clothes in a local store down the city . that paid for pretty much everything . Id make my own suits with the help from my mother and at comps i would win , everyone would always ask me where i got my suit from who made it etc . making your own suits is really easy im 21 now and still dance . Im a bit on the plump side atm so making my own suits means i can make sure my fat bits are well hidden . I currently do 4hrs dance a week plus 1 private every month i work 40+hours a week too so it can be done . just keep at it and keep pushing xxx
By xxdancer_jadexx Comments: 329, member since Tue Oct 17, 2006
On Thu Apr 19, 2012 02:20 PM
I am 19 and still dance pay for everything my travel, my food , my tickets / weekend away comps and outfits. Its hard but when I havent got the money I simply do not go , im really bad with money and only work 12hours a week if im lucky so sometimes I do burrow money from my mum then pay it as soon as I get paid

Jade xxx
By DanceCrazyMum Comments: 68, member since Fri Feb 24, 2012
On Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:45 AM
If your still at college surely your parents are still responsible for these costs, I have a daughter and when she gets a full time job I will expect her to pay but until then it's my responsibility

Just my opinion - sure you'll work summat out with them if you just speak to them.
By discole01member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1392, member since Tue Feb 06, 2007
On Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:50 PM
Hi I am 21 and at college.

I use the money I get from college to pay my own fee's each month, I also pay lessons and my own ticket for comps. When getting new costumes I usually contribute some money towards them and pay for myself going to festivals. Sometimes there is an odd month where I can't afford everything and my mum and dad will help me out with fee's etc. After I pay for dancing I still have enough money left to keep me going.

Nicole
x
By majicdancer Comments: 1069, member since Sun Nov 04, 2007
On Tue May 15, 2012 02:32 AM
heyya lauren hun...

ive always paid for my own dancing. i used to get a bit of help from mum for costumes to buy them when i saw them cheap then i'd pay her back as much as i could until was paid off.

but now im on my own. ive had to cut down dancing because i moved out on friday now living on with my bf i have rent and bills to pay as well as run my car. but i would say with costumes you usually get your teacher to make yours dont you?

either get a second hand one of ask her to make you something basic and simple for a budget then stone it yourself. i can facebook you a good ebay link if you want for stones.... i stone all my own i bought my new solo really cheap for 50 quid on here. and ive just jazzed it up a bit made all new accesories and headpiece etc. looks good. im also stoning a slow costume for a girl at dancing and ive just fully stoned my sisters new costume looks amazing it was just a plain leotard before which i bought for a fiver online. xx

good luck hunni. xx
By DiscoHolliemember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 4757, member since Sun Nov 09, 2003
On Tue May 15, 2012 02:39 AM
Hi, I'm 18 and luckily my mum & dad still pay for all my lessons, comps, festivals & suits :) I just pay for my normal clothes with my work money and my family pay for everything to do with dancing xxxx
By discodancers Comments: 719, member since Wed Apr 07, 2004
On Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:24 PM
Hi,

im 20 i pay for my private lessons, weekend comps and tickets ,my mum pays for my normal classes and helps me out when neccassary just got a new stoned boutique costume which im putting money towards to ,the rest of money is from my last slow and then my mum is putting some money towards it, i do find i pay out a lot of money travelling over the country but i still love doing it and wouldnt have it any other way :)

Love Natalie xx

ReplySendWatch