Popular Teachers

Struggling to make a living doing what i love. by livelovedance08
I am just wondering if I should be struggling this much to make a living doing something I love. I...

Forum: Adults / College

College
University of Pittsburgh Bomb Threats en>fr fr>en
By BloodyDanceToesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3782, member since Fri Nov 29, 2002
On Wed Apr 11, 2012 06:01 AM

Curious - Anyone out there go to Pitt? I live in the city (can see the cathedral of learning from the hill I'm on) and have many friends who go there (I myself go to school downtown and have to deal with my own bomb threats – scary).

For those of you who don't know, the university is up to 62 (71 if you count 1 of the "buildings" as 9 separate units) bomb threats. There have been an additional 14 bomb threats on surrounding locations, including this morning where the Chancellor’s house was threatened. At first, it rattled the city a good bit, but now it’s become insane, and almost all the national new outlets are picking up on it.

www.nytimes.com . . .
--- There’s the NY Times link.

I can’t even begin to explain the theories that are out there, but I think the thing I am loving the most (and the thing that is most shocking) is how much students are really gathering together online to post information, details, theories, sightings, etc. And ALL of it is then turned over to the police/FBI

One student started a blog to keep up with the information and events. It’s not a theory site and he tries to delete any ridiculous ideas and keep it only to the facts. (stopthepittbombthreats.blogspot.com if you’re interested).

I’m not 100% positive on this, but I believe that all of the graduations have been cancelled and all plays/performances were cancelled as well. Most classes have dropped the attendance requirement and are trying to allow students to work online and submit their work online. A lot of kids have gone home.

At this point, it’s so crazy, I have no idea what the news/police/FBI could do differently. =(

6 Replies to University of Pittsburgh Bomb Threats

re: University of Pittsburgh Bomb Threats en>fr fr>en
By Heartmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 14987, member since Thu Feb 14, 2002
On Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:00 AM
Edited by Heart (21721) on 2012-04-11 11:11:11
Edited by Heart (21721) on 2012-04-11 11:12:02
Wow, I have NOT heard about this. I didn't realize you were so close! (Not that that's really close, but you're in a neighboring state so whatever.) I've been to Pittsburgh once for a weekend, it's an unusual little city. I went up in the Cathedral of Learning, such a cool building.

My brother was just out there last weekend for a show, I'll have to ask him about this.

I didn't read the article, but is this a zero tolerance policy or what? If there's so many threats it seems kind of obvious that it's a prankster or something... I mean, it's been a month and nothing has happened, doesn't there come a time when you're like "all right, this is BS"? I know it's a tradeoff between security and inconvenience but cancelling graduation and plays and everything seems way overkill :?

Edit: Now that I'm reading, this seems way bizarre. Though if they're being sent in via e-mail you'd think it'd be decently easy to trace. Have they published the content of the e-mails anywhere?
By slice Comments: 1152, member since Fri Oct 15, 2004
On Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:15 PM
I heard about that! Someone from my high school goes to Pitt and posted something about it weeks ago, which got me curious. The # wasn't nearly as high as it is now.

That's crazy, and I feel really bad for the seniors and performers, in addition to the students who've been inconvenienced by the constant evacuations. Obviously the University is playing safe with this one, for good reason.

This article linked from the blog (www.pittsburghlive.com . . .) says that e-mail tracing thus far has been a pretty dead-end effort due to encryption barriers. The e-mails could have also been sent from an innocent person's hacked account.

I really hope this mystery gets solved so the students can resume their normal lives.
By BloodyDanceToesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3782, member since Fri Nov 29, 2002
On Wed Apr 11, 2012 02:30 PM
Yeah, while I'm not an internet guru, I do know that sending anonymous emails can be pretty easy. You could easily steal someone's information and set up an email account, then use that account to create a chain of anonymous accounts and go from there. The chances of figuring out who that person is, are slim to none. You have to wait until they make a mistake.

And now, the police have pretty much shown their hand. They've shown how they investigate bombs, how quickly the respond, what the team is like, what the evacuations are like, etc. So if this WAS a real threat (which I don't think it is), the bomber has an incredibly amount of information about how they work.

Not that it would ever be good timing, but it's almost finals time now, and everyone is stressed and displaced. I've been lucky that my school has only received 2 so far, but those were terrifying. You're at school and all of a sudden alarms are going off, police and dogs are running around the building, you're trying to leave calmly, but it's so crowded. Gets you going really.

Really, I have no clue how/when this will end.
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3017, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Wed Apr 11, 2012 02:37 PM
What a shame... I just have a bad feeling about what they might find out about the investigations. As I see it, it will probably go one of two ways... either some disgruntled student was playing an awful prank, or there really is some unstable person/s up to something bad. Either outcome is pretty terrible in a different way. It is good to know that the University of Pittsburgh has enough security/procedure in place to keep the students safe, in way of alerts and evacuations, etc.
By Firebirdmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 1965, member since Mon Feb 14, 2005
On Wed Apr 11, 2012 03:41 PM
Edited by Firebird (122430) on 2012-04-11 15:43:42
I go to Carnegie Mellon, which is just up the street. Even here, lots of people haven't heard about it at all. They're purposely trying to keep it under wraps, actually.

In terms of the anonymous emails, I know that the Pitt police are actually working with the Software Engineering Institute here at CMU in hopes of catching whoever sent them. The way the emails are being sent is extremely complex and not easy to trace at all; they have a lot of experts working on it.
I really hope they figure it out soon; I know the whole ordeal has been extremely disruptive and scary for Pitt students :/
On Wed Apr 11, 2012 06:21 PM
I think CMU has had 1 threat so far?

And really, what you said just drives home what I've been saying about this city for a while. No one here pays attention to the news, and the news here doesn't know how to report. Back home (Orlando mainly), everything was on the news, and you were always informed. Here it doesn't seem to be a big deal. And unless people are actively checking national news (CNN and such), they're pretty clueless.

In other news - www.wpxi.com . . .

"Someone connected to Pitt bomb threats taken into custody, sources say" --- but, again, no real information there. I could sum up the site as "Something happened... we're not sure what" and it would be about the same.

And to update about the performances - I was wrong. Performances are still going on. Graduation is up in the air, depending on future events.

ReplySendWatch