Forum: Irish / Irish - MAIDs

Paying for a private lesson that isn't private
By dancingdoeMom
On Thu Apr 12, 2012 01:13 PM
Edited by dancingdoeMom (246525) on 2012-04-12 13:13:58

Since our DD has had private lessons only this past year, meaning we don't have a lot of experience in this, I had a question about a private lesson that turns out to not be private. Sometimes when DD goes for a private lesson, another girl is there and the explanation is that this was a time she could make a lesson. Question is: do we pay for a private lesson or just half, since that is all she really is getting? We have been just paying anyway, since the teacher didn't say anything one way or the other.

12 Replies to Paying for a private lesson that isn't private

re: Paying for a private lesson that isn't private
By JenBlackerbymember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Apr 12, 2012 01:22 PM
I would ask the teacher if you can split the cost. You're paying for her undivided attention and not getting it. Otherwise maybe ask if there's a different time you could have her w/out other students? I odn't know much about privates though I have my first tomorrow.
By China_Doll
On Thu Apr 12, 2012 01:55 PM
we do private lessons quite often- if the lesson is my DD or DS only I expect to pay full price but usually when it is more than one child we(the parents) split the cost of the time. I would bring it up with your TC
By IrishLisa
On Thu Apr 12, 2012 02:37 PM
I totally agree with all the other posters! I would check with your TC. I take private lessons pretty regularly and my lesson is just me and my TC. I have been told that if I would like to defray the cost I can ask additional people and then we would split the cost between myself and the other dancers. Good luck!
By Realtreble
On Thu Apr 12, 2012 03:14 PM
A lesson with more than one student isn't "private." It is "semi-private" or small group. The rates for each type of lesson should be different with the private being most costly. It is possible your TC forgot to mention the reduced rate to your dancer.
By saoirse3473member has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Thu Apr 12, 2012 04:12 PM
I think it's only fair that you pay a fraction of the price of a full private lesson. I've had a semi-private, and I loved it. It's kind of nice to have someone that the teacher can work with while you work on yourself for a few minutes. But paying full price isn't really right.
By krisinstitches
On Fri Apr 13, 2012 06:31 AM
Should definitely split the cost. Our TCs typically take individual, duo, or trio privates, and have provided guidelines on how much for each type of session. We are also lucky to be able to arrange studio time for small groups (up to 4) to practice on their own at no charge.
By HonestMom
On Fri Apr 13, 2012 06:48 AM
My daughter only pays full for an actual private. Our school has rates for only 1 student, 2 students, and then for a small group. Check with your DD's TC. Good luck!
By IdeeMama
On Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:11 AM
It doesn't hurt to ask. Could TC be making the lesson with the other dancer longer? At our school, if a semi private for 2 becomes a semi private for 3 or 4, as happens once in a while, TC just makes the lesson longer, so that everyone still gets the same amount of time.
By BobMeredith
On Sat May 05, 2012 05:44 PM
I send both my dancers to a private and it's nice that they can switch off, rest or drill while the other is getting attention. So it's essentially a semi-private. If you have a single dancer would strongly consider matching up with someone who's doing the same dances. I think the kids get just as much out of it and it's a bit more cost efficient.
By rincemumPremium member
On Wed May 09, 2012 02:51 PM
its all right for them to be semi private with 2 even 3 kids because sometimes it benefits your dd even more they're not completely exhausted and they do have time to rest. and your dd can benefit by watching the other child(ren) by watching the way one of them does it the other may not have noticed in class but in the private it can make them more determined.
By cateler
On Wed May 23, 2012 10:55 AM
If you/she feel that she is getting as much out of the time as possible then the full cost may be ok, but if you think she's only getting "half a lesson" then I'd ask about a discount.
By mydayjob
On Tue Jun 05, 2012 08:05 PM
at 65-80 dollars an hour, i would definitely make sure the TC was paying attention to my child the entire time. don't be shy about asking and letting him/her know that you want to make sure your child is getting what you think you are paying for

ReplySendWatch