Poll: Music / Music & Songs

Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2
One Direction?
By TheatreDanceNerd
On Fri Apr 13, 2012 09:31 AM

Meh. They're okay. They're not that bad (except for those silly kind of songs that EVERY famous male singer under 25 sings.) The thing is, they're a pop band mainly, and they sound the exact same as everyone else. It's the same if you watch American Idol or something like that. They all try to sound the same! I also wish they stuck more harmony in there. There are 5 of them! There can be such great harmonies! But oh well. I don't really like pop all that much, but I just wanted to see what everyone's opinions were.

And, if you had to pick a favourite from One Direction, which would you choose?

25 Replies to One Direction?

re: One Direction?
By Louisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:31 PM
^ They're British/Irish, just "broke America" as we say. They might not have made it to Canada just yet.
By DancingBeanermember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:32 PM
I love them!

One of their songs popped up on the "recommended videos" on Youtube, and I decided to click on it... and I loved it and ended up falling in love with them. (Before then I had actually no I idea what the X Factor was at all!)

I am 22, so a couple years older than them, but despite that I still find them super cute. (I think their stylist deserves an award because their clothing embodies my favourite fashion style)

My favourite out of the group would probably have to be Louis (the one that tends to wear suspenders quite often).

Here is my favourite song, and the one that I got recommended a few weeks ago!
www.youtube.com . . .
By sjerosemember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Fri Apr 13, 2012 02:18 PM
I cannot stand how they've taken over all the Irish/Irish Dance/Ireland tags on Tumblr. I want information and pretty pics of Ireland and Irish dancers, and I get Niall's face and gifs of him bouncing around EVERYWHERE.

WHY DO I EVEN KNOW THIS KID'S NAME?!?!??? I don't know any of their music!! Stupid Tumblr... *grumbles off*
On Fri Apr 13, 2012 02:29 PM
omg lol lol lol - suspenders means something TOTALLY different over here. He wears braces, omg omg snigger snigger :D
By reel_faerie85member has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 13, 2012 02:35 PM
Mwah ha ha ha. One Direction in suspenders would be waaay more interesting!!

Me. I don't really care. Have I listened to their music? Possibly although I wouldn't know it.

**Claire in her little Bubble**
On Fri Apr 13, 2012 02:40 PM
Baby you light up my world like nobody else, the way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed, the way you smile at the ground it ain't hard to tell, you don't know-oh-oh! You don't know you're beautiful!

...or something.

In my youth I was accused of being a closet Westlife fan and it wasn't true. I don't mind the lil' Directioners though.
By SiyoNqobamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 13, 2012 03:28 PM
Edited by SiyoNqoba (34789) on 2012-04-13 15:31:19
Admit it, Louise, you know all the words ;)

It's insane how big they are over here. They're coming to New Zealand soon (or are in New Zealand at the moment?). Tickets to their three concerts sold out in 10 minutes. The Auckland show sold out in 3 minutes. Rumour has it that one shop sold out of their stock of tickets in 40 seconds.

I teach dance, and my kids go nuts over them. I bought their CD. The CD cover is broken because my 10 and 11 year olds walked in to the studio, saw it and started scrambling to get a look.

I think they're cute. I wouldn't choose to listen to their music if I didn't use it for dancing, but I get the appeal.
By FunnyCloud
On Fri Apr 13, 2012 04:38 PM
Oh dear, I was waiting for this thread.....

One Direction is insane over here. I know girls who have spent over $300 on merch, woke up at four in the morning to go to the airport, literally vomited when they didn't get tickets...

Personally, I think they're overrated. I don't really like their songs (besides Moments, as Ed Sheeran wrote that song), and they aren't super talented. The exception to this is Liam Payne(watch his audition on the X-Factor-he's verrry talented. And dreamy. Sigh....)

Hate, hate, hate the fandom though. Their worse than Beliebers, when it comes to sending hate, stalking people and rioting. Also, Directioners seem to hate any new fans that enter the fandom, cos they aren't 'real' fans.
By TheatreDanceNerd
On Fri Apr 13, 2012 05:03 PM
FunnyCloud wrote:

The exception to this is Liam Payne(watch his audition on the X-Factor-he's verrry talented. And dreamy. Sigh....)

Ah, yes....I think he's the only member of the group that I actually like and think can sing. And he's so darn adorable!
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:13 PM
They are growing on me. I saw them on SNL and didn't mute it so, it was alright. Then I decided my students would like it so I bought the two songs they did on SNL (One Thing and What Makes You Beautiful).

I started choreographing to What Makes You Beautiful...I just saw it in my head and I had to. I feel ashamed. I'll use for the auditions for the comp team I'm starting.
By oz_helenmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Apr 15, 2012 04:10 AM
They are generally inoffensive and from what I can tell, their songs are lyrically appropriate for the target audience (which is a nice change), but really, I'm just so not into that kind of music. It's so cookie cutter, paint-by-numbers bland. Plus the whole manufactured thing really grates.

Now if they start actually writing their own music, then maybe I'll care enough to choose to listen. Or maybe not.

Helen
By pointeprincessSDmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Apr 15, 2012 06:25 AM
It boggles my mind how girls are paying $700 a ticket to go see them in concert in 2013. Okay, maybe not $700, but still it's ridiculous!! They just appeared in the music world, why spend so much to see them sing a few songs off their album? I have a feeling girls want to see THEM, not THEM SING.
By FunnyCloud
On Sun Apr 15, 2012 06:49 AM
Edited by FunnyCloud (244555) on 2012-04-15 06:51:22 More Infomation
pointeprincessSD wrote:

It boggles my mind how girls are paying $700 a ticket to go see them in concert in 2013. Okay, maybe not $700, but still it's ridiculous!! They just appeared in the music world, why spend so much to see them sing a few songs off their album? I have a feeling girls want to see THEM, not THEM SING.

Only $700?! That's nothing. I'm not kidding, either. After the Australian tour sold out in 3 minutes, Ebay almost imploded. Yes, that is a real photo-the price went up a bit higher (AU$102,000) then the listing was taken down (it's illegal to resell tickets-usually no one would notice/care, but because it was SO MUCH MONEY...)

Also, while in Australia, one of the guys (Niall) was given a piece of Vegemite toast. He didn't like it, so didn't finish it. Guess what happened to the other half of the toast? It went on ebay, and I think it's hit $10,000 now (to be fair, it is for charity).

ETA: The seats being sold? At the very back of the concert hall. They were awful seats.
By MattH95
On Tue Apr 24, 2012 04:39 AM
gosh I cant STAND THEM! they lip sync at all their live gigs (from what ive seen) my sister just bought 3 tickets for her and her mates to go and see them next yr when they come back to NZ (yawn) if you really want to see a good 1D song look at these guys they are amazing from my home town Christchurch NZ and they just got signed by Ryan Secrest
www.youtube.com . . .
By ChristinePremium member
On Tue Apr 24, 2012 06:31 AM
Edited by Christine (207347) on 2012-04-24 07:07:02 fixed markup
Megan wrote:

I have no idea who they are. I think I feel old now.

I just watched the video DancingBeaner posted and I couldn't help but be struck by the similarity to cute boys bands from the past.

and

If you can sing along with this one^, like me, you're REALLY old.

Keep On Dancing*
On Tue Apr 24, 2012 06:42 AM
^ According to BBC News this morning, Backstreet's Back, alright?! Formed a new "supergroup" with NKOTB, apparently. I'm now wondering how many little 'uns won't have a clue what NKOTB stands for. Woah oh oh-oh-oh, woah oh, oh oh. Woah oh oh-oh-oh. The right stuff!
By FunnyCloud
On Tue Apr 24, 2012 06:59 AM
Christine wrote:

Megan wrote:

I have no idea who they are. I think I feel old now.

I just watched the video DancingBeaner posted and I couldn't help but be struck by the similarity to cute boys bands from the past.

Now I feel all young and foolish and naive. I honestly had no idea that the Weird Al Yankovic 'Ebay' song was a PARODY OF ANOTHER SONG...stupid, stupid, stupid!

I'm watching that music video over and over...THE BLONDE ONE. OMG. He's probably like twice my age. I DON'T CARE.
By ChristinePremium member
On Tue Apr 24, 2012 07:13 AM
Louise wrote:

^ According to BBC News this morning, Backstreet's Back, alright?! Formed a new "supergroup" with NKOTB, apparently. I'm now wondering how many little 'uns won't have a clue what NKOTB stands for. Woah oh oh-oh-oh, woah oh, oh oh. Woah oh oh-oh-oh. The right stuff!

My daughter was a huge BSB fan when she was really young. I wonder if she'll want to see the "new" incarnation in concert. It could be kind of pathetic, I think. The "Boys" are hardly boys anymore, and as for The New Kids? Well...do the math!

Keep On Dancing*
By Rachel_Whomember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Tue Apr 24, 2012 07:25 AM
One Direction are my guilty pleasure.

everything about them should annoy me but somehow I find myself singing along to their songs (what makes you beautiful is my fave :P).

The fandom stuff though is CRAZY!!

I dont like them enogh to see them in concert, but they seem to be nice boys singing nice songs.

Rachel x
By Cadbury_Eatermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sat Apr 28, 2012 08:36 AM
Tbh, their music isn't awful but the fandom is possibly the craziest thing I've ever endured, made Twilight fandom look tame.
By BalletBrain
On Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:31 PM
I find them very cute and I think they actuallycan sing quite well, especially since it's live at concerts, not lip synching. I like to listen to their music, and I wouldn't object to hanging a poster in my bedroom- FAR from my ballet posters (those are sacred) and finding out about their individual interests. I watched their season on X Factor, and I liked them then. The fandom, though, isn't nice!! They're cool.
By dancinbabii16
On Thu Apr 04, 2013 02:11 PM
LOVE THEM! i think they are totally adorable and their song Little Things is amazing. Liam is my favorite. Most of their music on the radio i dont like but some of their slower music is really good. Y'all should check out "Moments" or "Gotta be You"
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:31 PM
I'm OK with them. I don't seek out listening to them though. Every generation gets their boy band, this generation got One Direction. My students last year were all under 11, I got a lot of requests for 1D music. And Maroon 5, weirdly. And Psy, even weirder still.
Page:
Page 1 of 2: 1 2

ReplySendWatch