Forum: Disco / Disco - Parents Only

Disco - Parents Only
Reputation system, Escrow service and other ideas to prevent fraud/scams
By linhPremium member Comments: 2688, member since Sun Mar 07, 1999
On Tue Apr 17, 2012 05:05 PM

Although we have lots of postings about being careful, what else can we do to make parents more aware about scammers stealing costumes? Some ideas are: - Making everybody read and agree to a document that warns about the risks of sending out costumes without at least a deposit, etc. This document would list the best strategies to prevent fraud. Every member who participates in the disco forums would be required to agree to it. - A reputation system at DDN. For every successful transaction, we record the sales data including costume, price, and how smoothly the sales went. Each person would have a reputation score. So someone new with no reputation, you'd want to be extra careful about sending out costumes. This system would help you identify someone who has sold/bought many costumes from other reputable members. - An escrow service officially supported by DDN. This would be handled automatically by the site's software. An escrow service is a trusted third-party that holds the money until the transaction is complete. In general, it would work something like this: the buyer who wants to try something on would contact the seller. They both agree to use the escrow service. The buyer sends the full payment to DDN. We would hold that payment safely in escrow. If the costume is tried on successfully and purchased, we would release the funds to the seller. Otherwise, upon the return of the merchandise, we'd release the funds to the buyer. There would need to be some small fee for us to handle this since it would involve additional programming and administrative overhead; the fee would be paid by the buyer if the costume was returned, or perhaps the seller if the sale completed. Or it could be split, etc. For smaller sale amounts, a credit card might be possible. But for larger amounts, the funds would have to clear before we'd notify the seller to send the costume. The sticking points would be what happens if a costume is damaged or only partially returned? How do we determine who is telling the truth? The agreement and the reputation system would be a good first start, and maybe it would be sufficient. It will take some time to program, so please give us your thoughts. The escrow service would provide an additional level of protection, but is much more complicated to do. Maybe we could work with an existing UK escrow service by integrating it into our software. Please let me know if you know of such a service. And feel free to give us your thoughts on this thread or privately via email: feedback@dance.net. Thanks, Linh dance.net

12 Replies to Reputation system, Escrow service and other ideas to prevent fraud/scams

re: Reputation system, Escrow service and other ideas to prevent fraud/scams (karma: 1)
By ajxdancermember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 4191, member since Sun Mar 18, 2007
On Tue Apr 17, 2012 05:31 PM
Hiya Linh
The suggestions that you give in the post are a great start as just now the selling of costumes is a problem,I personally have sold many costumes through DDN without any problem but I have allways checked the Buyer telephoning both the buyer and dance school teacher,double checking the number given for the dance school.The reputation system would be a good starting point as many users dont check or know how to check someones threads but the escrow service would work if part of the contract is maybe DDN descision is final incase of disputes then everyone would know what would happen before entering into a contract to buy or sell.

Thanks

Jane
and
AJ
xxxx
re: Reputation system, Escrow service and other ideas to prevent fraud/scams
By XxAmynKalyzMuMxXPremium member Comments: 798, member since Thu Apr 09, 2009
On Tue Apr 17, 2012 07:41 PM
Thank you so much for this 'linh'.. It is great to see that some changes are being thought about for the future where selling and buying are concerned.

I personally think that when a buyer or seller are in communication, there should be some way of notifying each other of their ADFP membership numbers, which can then be checked with the ADFP Governing Body to ascertain if that person or their child is a legitimate dancer.. This will also link them to the Dance School and Teacher that they are currently associated with. It is just another suggestion that could be thought about by the Freestyle World to help clarify up to date details of a dancer before sending suits. This along with the Escrow service would go a long long way towards making the whole process more secure.

Thanks,
Alison xx
By princessamimember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 7413, member since Sun Nov 14, 2004
On Wed Apr 18, 2012 01:26 AM
some great suggestions

i personally think the reputation system is the way to go

i dont think the escrow will work because apart from the things youve said about what if the suit isnt as good as listed and you want to offer less money? but the main part being how to know who is telling the truth if an issue arrises. its a big risk to give someone the money before you have seen the costume i think

i dont send out to new members now and havent done for ages, i know people can be desperate to sell there suits to fund the new one but a little bit of digging and asking on facebook if a school exists etc will help. or ask who they know on here who is a long standing member and ask them if they are legit

x
re: Reputation system, Escrow service and other ideas to prevent fraud/scams (karma: 1)
By Ellisemember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 8800, member since Tue Oct 11, 2005
On Wed Apr 18, 2012 02:01 AM
Hiya
I agree something needs to be done as this can not keep happening

I have always sold on DDN without any problem but I always check out all the details the buyer has given me, like Elle said I ask on Facebook to see if friends know them or ask people who go to the same school to see that the details check out but the main thing I always do is insist that the buyer pays for the postage up front by Paypal...Paypal is linked to your bank account and therefore gives the correct address of the buyer, the address you have your bank account registered to is not going to be false is it, so at least if anything should go wrong I have a verified address to start the search with not some false empty address or one thats been rented short term to run scams from.

This way of selling has never in 7 years failed me or even if you are not 100% sure ask them for a deposit by Paypal, the less trustworthy buyers will back away but serious buyers will agree, try it you will be surprised

Hope this helps
Jackie x
By smurfymurfy Comments: 205, member since Fri Jun 05, 2009
On Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:21 AM
When this happened to us last week i felt sick to my stomach that i had been conned. I then felt that DDN didnt really give any support with comments made by mods.

After reading these threads today, i feel differently. I think the reputation process would be a very good start. A lot of parents who join DDN are not given any guidance, including myself when i joined. So maybe these should be provided with certain forms to help them see whats expected of them as a member and how things work.

Nicky
By nuttinikki Comments: 1016, member since Fri May 19, 2006
On Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:55 AM
I have to say I DO feel sorry for those who have had their suits stolen and can see points on both sides from those selling and also the mods, luckily for me this has never happened but I ALWAYS check the details of who Ive sent to, to the point of not being able to verify a school and contacting another well known teacher in the area to see if they had heard of them, In my instance the teacher was vouched for but I always say if in doubt DONT send it out, personally I will only sell suits on ebay because your protected by paypal, they have a reputation scoring system too. Its a shame that this has happened yet again and I know we all started as new members but I would ONLY sell on here if I knew someone who could vouch for the person like others have said genuine buyers wont have any qualms about details being checked or deposits paid

Lets hope this NEVER happens again

Nikki xx
By DancewearDesignPremium member Comments: 5614, member since Sat Jan 22, 2005
On Fri Apr 20, 2012 03:42 AM
Hi,
Over the years DDN has always tried its best to make sure the disco community heeds warnings about checking details of prospective buyers, getting deposits up front etc etc and still we have these episodes of stolen costumes!
I think it is great that you are now proposing even further help by putting these systems in place but I am worried that a reputation system or agreement document would still not be heeded ? (Especially for new members who will not be aware of how to use the site very well and /or who do not know about the previous episodes of stolen costumes.).
I personally think that the Escrow systems the best way forward but I also know, from experience, that most prospective customers do not want to pay up front as they do not trust that they will get their money back if the costume is not suitable.
Hope DDN gets support in trying to help with this issue and thanks for trying :)
By Paula13 Comments: 64, member since Wed Sep 17, 2008
On Fri Apr 20, 2012 06:39 AM
I would agree with the Escrew System as Ebay use it successfully (namely paypal) and you would never buy anything online without paying for it up front. Plus being able to view a Seller's star rating would also be good for prospective buyers.

I am lucky my daughter has given up competitive dancing, so I will never be faced with this dilemma again, however I would like to make sure this never happens again to anyone as its it has been truly awful.

I have written to the ADFP Committee asking for their suggestions, so let hope that with everyone's help we will find a solution.
By Emz_mum Comments: 27, member since Wed Mar 28, 2012
On Sat Apr 21, 2012 06:14 AM
I agree that a paypal type system would be best, it works on ebay!
By summersmummie Comments: 355, member since Wed Jul 13, 2011
On Tue Apr 24, 2012 09:34 AM
i like the idea of the reputation system its abit like the feedback system used on ebay x
By hannysmom Comments: 25, member since Wed Mar 07, 2012
On Tue Apr 24, 2012 01:18 PM
hi, being quite new to this, I am quite unaware of the cozzies that have been stolen and would very much support a system like that is used by Ebay and Amazon marketplace.I know this isn't foolproof for checking whether someone is genuine or not, it at least gives you a good place to start
By KTlis Comments: 162, member since Mon Sep 07, 2009
On Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:15 PM
I am always suspicious when new members make multiple posts to buy cozzies and there is no history or identifiable info about them. As has been said I always try to get people to make contact on facebook to see if they are really dancers.

ReplySendWatch