Forum: Competitions

Those of you who adjudicate... I'd like to start a competition
By SingDanceLaugh
On Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:36 PM

Since I was about 15 years old I've wanted to start a dance competition. In Canada I find the atmosphere is amazingly supportive and I just love them. In the past I've worked for several, and I understand the business end of it, not to mention a partner with a degree in business. With my graduation slowly nearing (one more year on a BA!!!!!!!!!) I've decided to kick this into high gear.

I find a competition lives and dies on the strength of the adjudicators. So I guess my question to all of you is what would attract you to a competition. I've only ever experienced it from the other side and I know what I like to see as a dancer, but I've never adjudicated. I don't know what works and what doesn't. I have some ideas on what I'd like to see.

So let me know what you would like to see...

SingDanceLaugh

14 Replies to Those of you who adjudicate... I'd like to start a competition

re: Those of you who adjudicate... I'd like to start a competition
By ndn_dance
On Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:53 PM
As an adjudicator I like when I am hired to adjudicate what I "specialize in". It is extremely hard to give good/useful feedback when I have never done, taught or experienced a lot of the discipline performing.
Unfortunately, Im assuming this probably isn't cost affect which is why a lot of the competitions I have been to as a teacher, dancer and judge have the same judge(s) for everything.

Love using video judge or audio judge...not writing or having a writer.
By DancerTonitePremium member
On Fri Apr 20, 2012 07:36 AM
A few things off the top of my head, but by no means an exhaustive list:

- a friendly, easy to work with staff
- a good pay rate
- covering of my travel expenses
- ability to audio record critiques, so handwriting is not necessary
- never being told to adjudicate "a certain way" for those studios with the most entries
- simple, quick, scoring system
- individual adjudications, and not having to rank routines in categories
- reasonable hours in the day of competition
- reasonable judges breaks
- ability to keep the competition on schedule, so that I'm not still judging past midnight!
- and one with a good reputation overall!
By SingDanceLaugh
On Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:01 AM
So far great! Pretty much what I was looking at too... I really do want to do video feed back. No competition that my sister and I have been to give video adjudications, and I think its something that could really help dancers. I also feel that this can help keep competitions on time, because you can keep your comments "real time", instead of trying to write really fast.

DancerTonite, I am curious as to what you mean by "individual adjudications, and not having to rank routines in categories". Do you mean just giving a score (like a number out of 100) and not putting them in a 1st-2nd-3rd type ranking? I'm confused a little, but I think we agree.

Keep them coming

Sing Dance Laugh
By CarabosseKPremium member
On Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:38 AM
SingDanceLaugh wrote:

I really do want to do video feed back. No competition that my sister and I have been to give video adjudications, and I think its something that could really help dancers.

If you're hiring a photography and video company to sell pics and videos to the dancers and give you a part of their proceeds, they won't come if you're doing video critiques. A lot of people would feel that the video they got with critiques was sufficient. Audio critiques don't run that risk and accomplish the same thing.
By DancerTonitePremium member
On Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:58 AM
Some of the older competitions still use ranking within scoring. So, you can't point spread more than so many apart, and you have to keep erasing and updating scores in a category to accomadate those later in the group. I think that's a ridiculous way of doing it.

Just a simple, one routine at a time, adjudication is great. And where the scores fall, is where the scores fall. Not many comps use ranking anymore - most are single routine adjudicated now.
By Panda_Bear
On Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:58 AM
I don't adjudicate but from a teacher perspective run ON TIME. I know things happen and make things run late but I was a one yesterday that was TWO yes TWO hours behind. That far behind is simply unacceptable! My students parents were really upset, my little ones who were to dance at 5:30 didn't see the stage till 7:45. Also schedule younger kids in the morning and on week days don't pull older teens from school if possible.
By SAPdance
On Mon Apr 23, 2012 07:56 PM
I agree with all of the comments above. I have been taking my team to competitions in Canada for over 20 years and I started adjudicating 11 years ago. I have been through the "written judge's comments" and the "audio comments" and now the video judge. Judges really do not want to have to write. It is tiresome and it takes our attention away for the performances. I am so happy most competitions have moved away from written comments. As a teacher, I am not happy getting those and no longer attend competitions that do hand written comments because they are very limited and not helpful. I think another important thing is to pay the judges according to the standard. When I first started out judging I just wanted to gain experience and was willing to take any pay. After working ++ hours for very little pay, I decided I only wanted to work for reputable dance competitions who paid their judges an acceptable salary. I also think it's important to be clear about expectations (travel, working hours etc..) up front with the judges. I agree that the "score the routine then move to the next" is the way to go now. Let the scores fall where they may. It should be as objective as possible. Hope that helps and good lukc.
By SingDanceLaugh
On Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:23 PM
So far pretty much exactly what I expected/planned on doing. I'm kinda glad to know I am on pace. So next question... and only if you think this is something you feel comfortable saying... but what is a fair rate. I am in Western Canada, Thinking about running Alberta/BC/Saskatchewan competitions.

Sing Dance Laugh
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:32 PM
I agree with all the other responses.Not sure what the going rates are in Canada tho. I'm in the western US.
re: Those of you who adjudicate... I'd like to start a competition (karma: 1)
By albertadance
On Tue Apr 24, 2012 08:52 AM
I am a teacher and I also adjudicate frequently. The video judge thing is great, but expensive. I disagree with some of the comments regarding written adjudication. If you have a good writer and you are articulate, you can provide an excellent adjudication. I have had audio adjudication that sometimes contained no more then 15 words. I think it is important to have adjudicators that are teachers as opposed to dancers. Teachers have a better understanding on what it really takes to get the kids up onto that stage. It is also important that the panel of judges are all on the same page and understand all the rules/categories.
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Wed Apr 25, 2012 07:46 PM
I ran a competition for over 10 years, and judge and adjudicate.

My dream job while adjudicating is cut and dried scoring. Don't make me come up with a number out of the sky. Give me numbers that mean something.

10 points, perfect, 8-9 points, very good, 6-7 points, good but needs some work, and so on. Then there is a REASON for a score.

I agree with DancerTonight, on all that she wrote.

I have been paid anywhere from $30 to $50 per hour.

I love doing video critiques, they are the best, but audio are good, too. I will no longer judge where I have to write, because I want to keep my eyes on the dancers 100 percent of the time.

Give me enough time to finish scoring and don't rush me into the next dance.

I like it when I am NOT sitting in front of the stage but further back so I can see formations and all dancers, and be centered.

Comfy chair!!

Feed me. Supply healthy snacks and drinks and meals. I have been to competitions that put candy out and soda and it gave me a migraine. I had to start bringing my own.

Yes, cover ALL of my costs.

If you are flying me in, bring me in a day earlier, in case of flight issues and give me my own room. I don't like to share a room with anyone, and most judges feel the same way.

Set your schedule, way in advance, and DO NOT accept last minute changes in schedule. I have seen errors in scoring, due to this. If you send out the schedule, to schools, and tell them that they can THEN make changes, before printing, but once they are set, there will be no changes in order. I did this for all the years of my competition and it was great.

My feelings on levels, don't do them. I like it when all levels compete against each other. This way, the newer ones have something to work up to, but if you DO have levels, be very strict. If I see a dance that does not look beginner, in a beginner category, I will mark them down.

Be strict in your rules on appropriateness of costuming, music and movement. I have given zero, in some categories, for this. If an act is not stopped, that should be, they will get a full zero from me.

Make sure you have all of the score sheets and other info, to the judges, LONG before the competition, so that they will be prepared. I hate going and finding out, 1/2 hour prior, on how to do your system.

Only use judges who you know will give good critiques and are truly qualified and are not in your area, too, to avoid them from knowing any dancers or teachers.

Oh, and PS, I am free! I love judging in Canada!!!
By Triskitmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Wed Apr 25, 2012 08:54 PM
^ Ditto!
I would love to adjudicate on the same panel as Dream Chaser, and I'm a dual citizen ;)
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Wed Apr 25, 2012 09:14 PM
Triskit wrote:

^ Ditto!
I would love to adjudicate on the same panel as Dream Chaser, and I'm a dual citizen ;)

I would love that!!!! What fun!
By SingDanceLaugh
On Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:27 PM
Okie Dokie! You guys are all making me feel so excited. And realize to that I am really not that far off of what I would expect.

I would love to have all of you adjudicate for me!

SingDanceLaugh

ReplySendWatch