Forum: Competitions

Running Late
By Panda_Bear
On Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:11 PM

I would like to write a letter of complaint to a competition that was always at lease 1.5 hours behind this weekend. In my opnion there was alot they could have done about it. There were too long of breaks between catagories , If your late you don't need to take a 20 min break between 2 catagories if your not doing awards! I was really frusterated because I was responsable for about half the studio's students ranging from age 4 to 17 with another teacher. My SO was away adjudicating and another teacher was at a wedding so it was the Jazz teacher and I with 100 kids. We did use our teens as assistants in helping with the youngest dancers. The orginal schedule had about 30-40 kids back stage between 2 staff at a time but because they were running SOOOO behind chaos ensued.

At what point is running behind unacceptable at a cometition? I can see under about 30 min. being ok due to little things. But to me the when at one point we were almost THREE hours behind it was rediculous! You can not ask people to wait 3 hours to dance, many of us had other things to do. I plan for it to run up to an hour behind and tell famlies to do the same. Would I be out of line to complain about the excessive delays. It spiralled out of control starting first thing in the morning when we began 1 hour late.

4 Replies to Running Late

re: Running Late
By dancetcher1
On Mon Apr 23, 2012 03:58 PM
Absolutely you should write a letter!! They should respect everyone's time and run their competition accordingly!!
By kashmirjayPremium member
On Sun Apr 29, 2012 01:02 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with writing a letter. I would try to keep your tone neutral, and maybe make suggestions as to how they could resolve this in the future.

We just came back from a competition who was 1.5 hours behind on the first night - not their fault, the sound guy was late. However, throughout the day they took steps to try and minimize the gap ie: shortening dinner breaks, blazing through adjudication (not rushing, just making it more time effective), and they actually forwent an adjudication and lumped it into the last adjudication of the evening. All of these changes may only have saved us half an hour or so, but we appreciated the effort!
By Scattered
On Mon Apr 30, 2012 09:12 AM
They might still be taking the breaks because they're legally obligated to give their judges some time off.

Still, it sounds like a frustrating experience.
By avandy83
On Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:17 PM
Definitely write a letter of complaint! We went to Starpower one year, and they ran 1.5-2 hrs behind. They blamed it on the fact they had 2 stages running at once. We flat out told them we go to Showstoppers, who has 3 stages running at once, and the most they ever get behind is 30 minutes, and that's on a very rare circumstance. Poor planning and organization on the competition's part

ReplySendWatch