Priority Dresses & Costumes

Forum: General / General

General
Help buying TV? en>fr fr>en
By BloodyDanceToesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3782, member since Fri Nov 29, 2002
On Wed Apr 25, 2012 05:34 AM

While I consider myself pretty tech savy, TVs boggle my mind! Can someone help me distinguish the type of TV I should by? I'm not looking for anything crazy, but probably somewhere in the 30-40 inch range to mount on the wall of my bedroom. 40inches might even be too crazy (I'd have to measure and see really).

I'm just so confused. There are LCDs, LEDs, LCD-LEDs, Plasmas... what?

People have told me different thing about each. One breaks easy, one burns out easy, one does that whole burned image thing (turn off TV, still see the image).

Anyone here have a recommendation or helpful information?

8 Replies to Help buying TV?

re: Help buying TV? en>fr fr>en
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3015, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Wed Apr 25, 2012 01:51 PM
Don't listen to a lot of what you have been told, because TVs have improved since the whole burnt in images and burnt out lights. I have a plasma and there is no risk of burnt in images anymore because they have technology that combats that.

I could give you recommendations, but first I would really need to know what you want to spend. I just bought my 47" TV last spring and I spent months shopping for it until I felt confident that I knew all I needed to know.

Another thing besides price that I need to know, is what do you use your TV for the most? Watching movies/Blu-Ray, watching TV shows, playing games, etc. Do you want there to be the option to connect to the internet wirelessly? Any other features you just gotta have?

I love my plasma because of the picture and the refresh rate is great for gaming, that and I could not afford an LED of the same size.

So let me know a little more and I would be happy to virtual shop with you :)
By BloodyDanceToesmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 3782, member since Fri Nov 29, 2002
On Wed Apr 25, 2012 02:46 PM
Well, connecting to the internet wirelessly would be nice (and I didn't know was an option). That means I could stream netflix right?

Mostly, I'd use it to play movies/shows/whatever off of my computer (which is just an easy cable to pug in). Video games are played mostly on the living room TV, so no biggy there. So yeah, just... average TV use lol.

And price range? Well, I looked on BestBuy, and saw that the 30-39 inch range was about $300ish (depending on brand, crazy features, etc). So... I think that's a general area to stay in, but really, I know I'm going to get what I pay for, so there's wiggle room (and if it's too much, I'll probably toss it on a credit card, and pay it off in 2 payments or something).
re: Help buying TV? (karma: 2)  en>fr fr>en
By Gioiamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 3015, member since Sun Jun 20, 2004
On Wed Apr 25, 2012 06:25 PM
Edited by hooray4jj (97099) on 2012-04-25 18:27:27
If you are going for price and under 40", LCD is probably the way to go. Think of it as a larger version of your flat screen computer monitor. However I personally do not like how they perform in a well lit room, they are also more difficult to see from different angles, and although they are very bright I don't think the colors are as vivid. I went with a plasma (this is my model www.google.com . . . ) because the black/white levels are better (this just means that the black is blacker, which is also known as the contrast ratio) and I think it looks better. Behind the spoiler is something I found that describes why I chose a plasma, better than I can explain it.
Spoiler: Show
Plasma's strengths include its very dark blacks, and overall picture consistency, which (unlike CCFL[LCD] or LED) doesn't exhibit color shifts, loss of saturation, or reduced contrast when viewed at wider angles. With plasma you don't need to be front and center to have the best seat in the house. And a plasma's fast-pulsing pixels are inherently well-suited for minimizing detail loss in fast motion like action films or live sports. Also, plasma can give you good bang for your buck if you want a really big screen. www.pcmag.com . . .

The drawback to having a plasma is that they are typically thicker and heavier, they also suck up more energy. That does not bother me, but for someone who wants to hang the TV on the wall and not have it be too heavy or stick out, that might be important.

That leads me to LED TVs, which are really the best on the market right now, but you pay for it. If you ever go in to a Best Buy or some place similar, you will see how even in the bright lights of the store, the color and picture of the LED is perfect. They are also the thinnest and use up the least amount of energy.

Those I think are the basic points, here are some other things to look for:
Resolution
I don't think there is any reason to NOT get 1080p resolution (unless you get a small TV where you can't tell the difference). The cost difference is usually not that much and you will be happy that you have it when you do play movies or Blu-Rays.

Refresh rate
I mentioned this briefly before. The refresh rate is the speed at which your TV refreshes its image (measured from 60Hz to 600Hz). I am a gamer and at the time my boyfriend that was living with me watched a lot of live sports, so I thought it was important. I didn't get the best specs out there, but I also didn't get the lowest. It isn't nearly as important as other specs.

Internet ready
It isn't something that a lot of TVs had, I only bring it up because I debated whether I needed that feature or not. I decided against it. I am now regretting the decision. This is only because where I live now we have a home network, my mom and dads computers have lots of TV shows and movies on them and I wish I could access them more easily, instead of hooking it up to a computer (which I don't have near the TV) and going through that. It is really just a matter of convenience, and if I were to invest in a Blu-Ray with Wi-Fi or any other box on the market that offers internet connectivity, it would be a non issue. Otherwise, yes, most TVs that offer internet connectivity already have things like Netflix, Google TV and Hulu Plus built in so you can access your account straight from their menus. This is called a Smart TV by the way.

I remember when I was shopping I found a website that had the pros and cons listed side by side, I can't find it now, but this one is good enough www.bestbuy.com . . .

Here are just a few TVs that I think are good, I stuck to Best Buy because that seems like an accessible store for you:
LCD
www.bestbuy.com . . . (for your needs this is my top pick, with 32" or smaller, I wouldn't worry about resolution as much, you won't be able to tell the difference betwen 720p and 1080p, also Samsung is still the leader in LCD as far as I am concerned, just because of the picture quality)
or these www.bestbuy.com . . . LG www.bestbuy.com . . . if you decide to go bigger

Plasma (keep in mind Plasma usually does not come in anything smaller than 40", so the bigger you get, the better price you get with a Plasma vs LCD)
www.bestbuy.com . . . this one is 720p but I thought there was one just like it with 1080p that is not 3D, so if you decide on plasma, you might want to look for that, Panasonic makes the best plasmas.
LED
These are if you decide you want to make a bigger purchase (which I don't think is really necessary unless you fall in love with LED, they will keep dropping in price I am sure)
www.samsclub.com . . .
www.bestbuy.com . . .
By majeremember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 5023, member since Sat Sep 29, 2007
On Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:14 AM
When I bought a new TV it was because it was on sale. It's an 32 inch LCD. It was on sale for $250. Not the best brand in the world (it's a Coby)but it's better than my old TV (that one wasn't a flat screen and when I played games I couldn't read the words on screen.
By mirrimmember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 753, member since Sat Apr 05, 2008
On Sat Apr 28, 2012 07:45 AM
What cable do you want to use from your computer to the TV? VGA, DVI or HDMI? All TVs now will have HDMI, but if you need one of the other hook ups, that may limit your choices. LCD/LED is much more likely to have DVI than plasma.
On Sat Apr 28, 2012 03:22 PM
^ gosh I didn't think about that, I really hope it is HDMI because otherwise your HDTV will not be used up to its fully potential.
On Sat Apr 28, 2012 09:01 PM
... wow. Just... wow. That post is re-donk.

It's finals time, so I 'm trying to stay away from d.net for a bit, but.. I have more!

I don't have an HDMI port in my computer. I imagine it can't be that hard to set up (I basically built mine myself), but the computer is getting older, so I know it needs a lot of upgrades (or a new machine), but if I'm buying a TV, I'm not about to go blow a couple hundred on a new computer. I imagine TVs have ports to both? I know my roommates does, as we've had the PS3 and a laptop connected (through VGA me thinks). BUT - that's if I used my main computer. I have several smaller ones and laptops that I was debating using just for the TV. But again, with a smart TV, not needed. Gah! So many choices!

Protection/Warranties? I know there are manufacturer ones and store ones. Should I want a store one? No? Either of them worth it?

Also, looking at various websites, a lot of them have re-furbished TVs for half the prices. Again, I'm not looking to pinch pennies (you get what you pay for), but are re-furbs worth looking at?

Also, measured the wall at the soon to be new apartment. I'm thinking the 32-37 inch is still the best. 39 actually makes the corner a very specific squeeze (if I choose that spot) because of the house/window (odd to explain).
On Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:16 PM
Glad I could help some, I did so much research when I bought my TV, figured I might help someone else too!

If you look at the specs of each of the TVs it will tell you what inputs they have. If you don't have an HDMI then whatever you play from your computer is not going to have a high resolution, so just be aware of that. For instance the 32" Samsung has 2 HDMI, 1 component video, 1 composite video and 1 RF. I am going to take a wild guess that your computer has an S video or maybe even just an extra digital video port. Or just replace your computers video card, it might not be all that expensive to upgrade at newegg.com

I have bought several refurbished electronics, but never a TV. I don't know if I could trust it, because if something goes out, you have to replace it typically. Now as for open box items, I don't think there would be anything wrong with that, my laptop was an open box item from Best Buy and that didn't worry me. Usually open box just means someone bought it, opened it, decided they didn't want it and returned it right away. I did not buy the extended service plan on my TV, but that is because I am pretty cheap. I figured that usually with those things they don't last long anyway, anything that happens to your TV will probably happen after that expires.

ReplySendWatch