Forum: Ballet / Ballet Choreography

Page:
Page 5 of 71 2 3 4 5 6 7
re: THE ULTIMATE BALLET VOCABULARY/DICTI ONARY GUIDE!!!!
By katsepmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 196, member since Fri Jan 16, 2004
On Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:15 AM
my 'favourites' list got much bigger somehow.... THNX (=
wow
By cutenesschick15 Comments: 58, member since Thu Jan 01, 2004
On Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:04 PM
wow.. thnx so much, i just started ballet and all of those really helped! karma for u! hehe

Julie
By laura_kate Comments: 45, member since Wed Jan 14, 2004
On Fri Jan 23, 2004 05:10 PM
Thank you! Im going to print some out and put them into my ballet book!
By Agustinabaila Comments: 40, member since Sat Jan 17, 2004
On Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:34 PM
Thanks a lot!!!!
By ballet4lyfe Comments: 169, member since Thu Jan 15, 2004
On Thu Jan 29, 2004 03:41 PM
thats relly cool of you to go and find all those sights. I'm always having touble remembering certain terms and I think those sites will help.Thanks!
By diva99member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 668, member since Tue Jan 27, 2004
On Thu Jan 29, 2004 09:12 PM
Wow!!! Great post. thanx for that information
By dance_810 Comments: 2426, member since Sat Sep 13, 2003
On Sat Feb 07, 2004 01:34 PM
Edited by dance_810 (73753) on 2004-02-07 13:36:13 oops
thanks so so so so much i needed this so so so badly for dance at the studio, and we get graded at school thanks so much! :D :D i am so happy!! :D :D :D :D thank you!!
By Jazziscool8486 Comments: 188, member since Sun Jan 25, 2004
On Sat Feb 07, 2004 09:35 PM
THANKS SO much for the dictionary it helps a lot!
By Ballaweenie5 Comments: 293, member since Sat Dec 14, 2002
On Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:17 AM
awesome!! I'll have to check those out sometime! It's helpful to have an online guide for ballet vocab!
hi everyone read this.
By chris_ballet_16member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 106, member since Fri Jan 02, 2004
On Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:51 PM
Removed by balletgurl (11968) on 2004-07-20 05:57:18 member request
Hi im a boy from norway and yust turned 16. i have a story to tell you. all my years at school ive been alone, everyone picked on me.i didt got any talent at all. one day i desided to work on somthing special to work my talent notised. after one week ive started on ballet everyone laft at me, but i dident guit. i worked every day for over a year. one day it was a talent comp in my school, i desided to dance for the whole school. at the time i started dancing everyone got Quiet. they were all locking at me and applauding, i was so happy finaly i got noticed. everyone said that i got a talent. that year i was voted to most talanted in the year book. one advice from me keep listning to you hart and keep on dancing
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 34891, member since Wed May 22, 2002
On Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:11 PM
I have some terms that I have on my hard drive for some reason, so I thought I'd include them here...

Theresa
-------

abstract dance
A plotless work composed of pure dance movements, although the composition may suggest a mood or subject.

adagio
Any dance to slow music; also, part of the classical pas de deux in ballet.

air, en l'
In ballet, a step done off the ground--for instance, tour en l'air, rond de jambe en l'air. It is the opposite of par terre.

allegro
A dance with a fast or moderate tempo.

allonge
In ballet, an elongated line; in particular, the horizontal line of an arabesque with one arm stretched front and the other back.

arabesque
In ballet, the extension of one leg straight in back at 90 degrees, with shoulders square; the position of the arms may vary.

assemble
In ballet, a jump from one to both feet, usually landing in fifth position.

attitude
In ballet, a pose in which one leg is raised in back or in front with knee bent, usually with one arm raised.

balance
A step that rocks from one foot to the other, usually in 3/4 time.

ballet
From the Italian balletto, diminutive of ballo, "dance." Classical theatrical dancing based on the danse d'ecole, the rules and vocabulary that were codified around 1700 in France.

ballet blanc
A ballet in which the women wear white tutus, such as the second and fourth acts of Swan Lake.

ballet d'action
A ballet with a plot, usually tragic, advocated by reformer Jean Georges Noverre, ballet master of the Paris Opera, to bring dramatic coherence to the performance of ballet.

ballet de cour, le (court ballet)
Spectacles for entertainment, usually with allegorical or mythological themes, performed by the aristocracy in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, combining music, recitatives, and mime.

ballo
Standard Italian dances and their music of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries.

ballon
In ballet, the ability of a dancer to remain suspended in air during a jump; elasticity in jumping.

ballroom dances
Social dances usually performed by couples, including the fox-trot, waltz, tango, rumba, and cha cha.

bas, en
In ballet, low, as in placement of arms.

basic movement
In ballroom dance, a characteristic figure that remains constant.

basse danse
A solemn court dance usually in duple time, popular in the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries.

battement
A beating movement of the legs.

bourree, pas de
A series of small, fast steps executed with the feet very close together.

brise
In ballet, a jump off one foot that is "broken" by a beating of the legs in the air.

cabriole
In ballet, a leap in which the lower leg beats against the upper one at an angle, before the dancer lands again on the lower leg.

cachucha
A Spanish dance in 3/4 or 3/8 time with castanets.

cakewalk
An African-American dance in which couples strut and compete with high kicks and fast steps.

cambre
In ballet, a bend from the waist to the side or to the back.

cancan
Originating around 1830 as a social dance, by 1844 it had become a raucous dance performed in French music halls.

chasse
A sliding step in which one foot "chases" and displaces the other.

chat, pas de
Catlike leap in which one foot follows the other into the air, knees bent; the landing is in the fifth position.

ciseaux
A jump in which the legs open in second position in the air, resembling a scissors.

coda
In ballet, the third and final part of the classical pas de deux.

contraction
A basic movement in the technique of Martha Graham, based on breath inhalation and exhalation.

contredanse
Popular social dance during the eighteenth century; done in rows or circles, it may have derived from English country dancing.

corps de ballet
The members of a ballet company who do not perform solo.

country dance
Traditional English dance in which dancers form two facing lines.

croisee
In ballet, a position with the body at an oblique angle and the working leg crossing the line of the body.

danseur noble
A male dancer who performs the "princely" roles of the classical ballet, such as the Prince in Swan Lake.

degage
In ballet, shifting weight from one foot to the other.

developpe
An unfolding of the leg in the air.

ecarte
In ballet, a position with one leg extended at an oblique angle while the body is also at an oblique angle.

efface
In ballet, a position of the body at an oblique angle and partly hidden.

entrechat
A ballet movement in which the dancer repeatedly crosses his or her legs in the air.

epaulement
In ballet, the position of the torso from the waist up.

fandango
A lively Spanish dance in triple time performed with castanets or tambourines.

ferme
In ballet, a closed position of the feet.

five positions
In ballet, the basic positions of the feet. First position: feet in a straight line, heels touching. Second position: feet in a straight line, heels apart. Third position: one foot in front of the other, parallel to it, with heel of front foot in hollow instep of back foot. Fourth position: one foot in front of the other, parallel, but apart. Fifth position: One foot in front of the other, parallel, with heel in front foot touching toe of back foot.

flamenco
A Sevillian gypsy dance, possibly originating in India, also with Moorish and Arabian influences, originally accompanied by songs and clapping and later by the guitar, and characterized by its heelwork (taconeo).

fondu
In ballet, a lowering of the body by bending the knee.

fouette en tournant
A spectacular movement in which the dancer propels himself or herself around a supporting leg with rapid circular movements of the other leg while remaining in a fixed spot.

fox-trot
A social dance of American origin in duple time.

glissade
In ballet, a gliding step which usually connects two steps.

haut, en
In ballet, a position of the arms above the head.

jete
A leap from one leg to the other in which one leg is thrown to the side, front, or back. Grand jete: a large leap forward.

jitterbug
A lively social dance popular during the 1930s; it originated at the Savoy Ballroom in Harlem in 1928, where it was known as the Lindy.

kabuki
A Japanese dance drama featuring stylized narrative choreographic movements

mazurka
A Polish national dance in triple time with an accent on the second beat, characterized by proud bearing, clicking of heels, and holubria, a special turning step.

minuet
A slow and graceful dance, the most popular dance of the eighteenth century, characterized by symmetrical figures and elaborate curtsys and bows.

morris dance
An English folk dance that appeared in the fifteenth century, in which dancers wore bells on their legs and characters included a fool, a boy on a hobby horse, and a man in blackface.

ouvert
In ballet, an open position of the feet.

par terre
Steps performed on the floor. It is the opposite of en l'air.

pas de deux
A dance for two, usually a woman and a man. In its traditional form, it begins with an entree and adagio, followed by solo variations for each dancer, and a coda.

pavane
A grave, processional court dance popular in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries.

penche
In ballet, leaning forward.

pique
Stepping directly onto the point of a foot.

pirouette
A turn on one leg, with the toe of the other leg touching the knee of the turning leg.

plie
A bending of the knees in any of the five positions. Demi plie: a half bending of the knees, with heels on the floor. Grand plie: a full bending of the knees.

point
A position on the tip of the toes. Demi-point: a position on the balls of the feet.

polka
A Bohemian folk dance in duple time with a hop on the fourth beat. It became a popular ballroom dance in the mid-nineteenth century.

port de bras
In ballet, the positions of the arms.

premier danseur
Principal male dancer.

promenade
In ballet, a slow turn of the body on the whole foot.

quadrille
A social dance popular in the nineteenth century. It was a square dance in five sections, each in a different time.

reel
Popular in Britain, Ireland, and Scotland, it is a lively dance for two or more couples; also, the second part of the Virginia reel. The Highland fling is a variant.

releve
In ballet, a rising with a spring movement to point or demi-point.

reverence
A ballet bow or curtsy in which one foot is pointed in front and the body leans forward.

spotting
A fixing of the eyes on one spot as long as possible during turns to avoid dizziness and to keep one's orientation.

square dance
An American folk dance with an even number of couples forming a square, two lines, or a circle. The dance is comprised of figures announced by a caller.

tango
A social dance in 2/4 time, which after originating in Spain, developed in Argentina, where it was influenced by black dance style and rhythm.

tour en l'air
A turn while jumping straight up in the air.

variation
Any solo performance in a ballet.

waltz
A social dance in 3/4 time that became widely popular in the nineteenth century. It developed from the Landler, a German-Austrian turning dance.
By pinkballerina88member has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 384, member since Sun Jan 25, 2004
On Fri Feb 13, 2004 05:26 PM
this is such a great sight... thanks for thinking of us! :)
kristin
By Wintermist Comments: 449, member since Mon Nov 25, 2002
On Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:38 PM
thanks for the links. they are really helpful!
By allroundamember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 213, member since Mon Jun 02, 2003
On Sat Feb 21, 2004 03:46 AM
Thank you very much for that! I went to my first ballet class on Friday and I was slightly confused by all the terms. Some of them I know through friends, but alot of them were extremely jibberish! Now I'll be able to read through these and hopefully know why my teacher is talking about in my next class :D

Thanks again!!
By balletdancermx Comments: 28, member since Fri Feb 20, 2004
On Sun Feb 22, 2004 07:01 PM
very useful
By dancinchik06 Comments: 23, member since Sun Feb 22, 2004
On Mon Feb 23, 2004 04:05 PM
Great post its really helpful, I tend to forget tha terms sumtimes so THANKS!!!
~*~Bekah~*~
By irishpointe Comments: 56, member since Thu Feb 19, 2004
On Mon Feb 23, 2004 06:40 PM
Great post it helped me so much.
By Margaritamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member Comments: 961, member since Fri Feb 27, 2004
On Sat Feb 28, 2004 04:01 PM
exellent
thanks!!
By DanciestGirl Comments: 133, member since Sun Feb 29, 2004
On Mon Mar 01, 2004 12:53 PM
Wow well done! :)
By Gevaudian Comments: 103, member since Mon Mar 01, 2004
On Tue Mar 02, 2004 07:34 PM
Thankyou so much for posting this. It has helped me more than you can possibly imagine!!!! :) Thanks again!!!
By poppydancer Comments: 31, member since Wed Mar 03, 2004
On Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:09 AM
hey
thats great cheers, some of those web-sites are great
loadsa love
poppydancer
By BalletOKdancrmember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 143, member since Sat Feb 28, 2004
On Sat Mar 06, 2004 04:28 PM
Thanks A Bunch! I'm doing a report tomorow for my english class, and some of those sites really really helped. Thanks again!

Aaron
THE ULTIMATE BALLET VOCABULARY/DICTI ONARY GUIDE!!!!
By tutumagical Comments: 91, member since Sun Feb 29, 2004
On Sun Mar 07, 2004 05:43 PM
What a great post! Thanks for sharing!
By ballerina_bobby Comments: 193, member since Fri Jan 02, 2004
On Mon Mar 08, 2004 08:02 PM
Thanks that is really helpful.
By dance_awaymember has saluted, click to view salute photos Comments: 1664, member since Wed Nov 14, 2001
On Fri Mar 19, 2004 07:46 PM
I am glad this is a Sticky! Very useful websites, Thanks!

Molly
Page:
Page 5 of 71 2 3 4 5 6 7

ReplySendWatch