Forum: Competitions

HELP!!!!!!......afraid of competition DISASTER coming my way!
By Daaaance5
On Thu Apr 26, 2012 01:31 PM

Hello all teachers at dance.net,
I am in desperate need of advice! Sorry this is so long but I am going to lose my mind if I don't post!
I recently entered my students/studio (I am a teacher and competition manager) from ages 9-15 for rainbow dance connection online. I received competition schedule this morning, and we compete into the evening FRIDAY SATURDAY AND SUNDAY. Awards are not until 10:55pm on Saturday, then we compete early the next day.
Question 1: I have a good amount of first time competitiors on my Junior level intermediate team, I am worried they will be worn out and overwhelmed, How can help them to perform their best when the are going to be nervous AND sleep deprived?

Question 2: Next, Even HUGER issue! I am almost 100% positive that I entered a particular solo to compete. I triple checked my entries, and made SURE all were in order, correct, division, and age, etc. When I got my schedule this morning, one solo was missing, and there were a few dancers who were cut out of dances. Has this happened to any one before? When I called , company agreed that dancers in lyrical group could be added, but at this point about 2 weeks until comp, they could not enter a new soloist. She is a first time soloist, and has worked so hard. She will be DEVESTATED that all her teammates are competing and that she is unable to do her solo.
Ive already have had issues with her mother (many I may add), but for now they seemed to have smoothed out, and have been resolved. How do I face this woman, who already thinks everyone is out to get her daughter?
I have been able to get her into Starbound, as a soloist- she will be competing in Novice teen (13-14). Problem is.....Rainbow is on same day! However, we compete at 1:16, 8:50pm, 9:23pm, 10:28pm. Awards at 10:55pm.
This student's first/only group dance is 8:50pm on Saturday. Starbound only runs Sat and Sunday. I know from past competitions that most novice competitors at two day events usually compete earlier in the day.
What do I do? I can have another teacher attend earlier group dance at 1:16 as she is the choreographer and teacher for that piece. She can attend awards for that dance. Has anyone had teen novice soloists at Starbound? what times have they competed. I know all comps vary with times, but I am going crazy trying to figure this out.
While I can't leave all my group dances, I know that this girl has worked so hard and deserves to have me there when she competes. I can't leave her and her mom to go by themselves to competition with no support from me. I am also worried that for the part of my absence at comp, kids are going to get all overwhemed, because I am not there with them the whole time. So do I attend Starbound with soloist, then head to Rainbow for my group dances in the evening? PLEASE HELP HELP HELPPPP!!!!!!!

4 Replies to HELP!!!!!!......afraid of competition DISASTER coming my way!

re: HELP!!!!!!......afraid of competition DISASTER coming my way!
By Dream_chaserPremium member
On Thu Apr 26, 2012 07:31 PM
I always make copies of what I send out, or if it's online, print it out.

Call them to put in the girl. They may have made an error. If you paid for her, they have to put her in.

That time frame is ridiculous. I don't get that people continue to put dancers in comps that do that.

Just make them rest, in between, as much as they can. With a schedule like that, they have to wing it.

Keep them away from all sugar products, all weekend, or they will be exhausted. I did not allow it during competition (soda, juice, candy, etc.).
By millysmommy
On Fri Apr 27, 2012 01:35 AM
My dancers are actually competing at rainbow connection next weekend and the whole thing only takes place on Saturday... so as for times it sounds liek where ever you are just had to many entries to fit it all in...

As for your soloist.. the thing I liked about Rainbow connection was they e-mailed a confirmation listed everything I registered and you can also log on to their website and it shows who you registered and what you paid for each. If you paid for this soloist call back and insist they place her, you paid for it you should get the spot or a refund.
By Daaaance5
On Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:02 PM
Dream_chaser wrote:

I always make copies of what I send out, or if it's online, print it out.

Call them to put in the girl. They may have made an error. If you paid for her, they have to put her in.

That time frame is ridiculous. I don't get that people continue to put dancers in comps that do that.

Just make them rest, in between, as much as they can. With a schedule like that, they have to wing it.

Keep them away from all sugar products, all weekend, or they will be exhausted. I did not allow it during competition (soda, juice, candy, etc.).
By Daaaance5
On Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:15 PM
Thank you for the advice! I was told to email a particular person to request adding the solo. I haven't heard back, I am now going to call again. I have always heard positive things about Rainbow and have been reffered by many colleagues. I ve heard of all these super competitions holding 3 day events that go into ridiculous hours of the night, yet here I am scrambling to pull this off. Needless to say will not do again, it is not worth all the stress!or to risk the girls not being able to perform to their highest. * another thing! I checked my invoice they sent me, and the statement that I have for payment, and the totals from their invoice to the statement I have do not match! Its only by $38.00 but this is before refund deadline and they have not taken care of it, makes me wonder ....

ReplySendWatch