Forum: Competitions

What do you charge for solos and duets/trios for competition?
By dancnpantzmember has saluted, click to view salute photos
On Sun Apr 29, 2012 07:00 AM

We have just recently started a competition program at my studio, and we have had a lot of success so far! So far, we have only done group numbers, but this year we have decided to open up the option of doing solos or duets/trios.

How do you all go about this process? Do you teach the solos, etc. in one big chunk and then let it be up to them to clean and/or schedule extra rehearsals? And my biggest question is, what do you charge for choreography/rehearsal time?

Any suggestions or tips would be so appreciated!

3 Replies to What do you charge for solos and duets/trios for competition?

re: What do you charge for solos and duets/trios for competition?
By kashmirjayPremium member
On Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:02 PM
At our studio we get paid $20 an hour to teach regular classes, so that is what we charge for any private classes, or solo/duet/trio work. One teacher split the hourly wage between the two girls in a duet so that each were paying $10 an hour to be there, but she still received her full wage.

We teach them over the course of a couple of months, usually one hour a week. So they might learn 20 seconds of choreo one week, and 30 the next and so on until the dance is finished. Then we spend a few weeks cleaning it up. The parents pay by the hour during the whole process.

Traveling expenses for the solo/duet/trio teacher to attend competition would be covered by the fundraising that the dancers do, and not out of the parent's pocket.

Not sure how others do it, but this is our system for now!
By Theresamember has saluted, click to view salute photosPremium member
On Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:33 PM
My son is in a trio, and it's billed as a regular lesson time for him. Whatever the cost per hour is, that's what we pay, no extra fees or anything. It's $50 per month per kid.

Solos are a bit more expensive, though. Their rate goes from $50 to $65 per month (actually, $65 for an hour, $50 for 45 minutes, $32 for 30 minutes). They pay that, and as far as I'm aware, there's no extra charge for solos either.
By avandy83
On Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:44 PM
Each pay a choreography fee of $100 up front. This is to compensate the teacher for outside time choreographing it, doing the music, and the rights to the choreography. Duets/Trios split this cost, I leave it up to them how they want to split it. This does not include any privates.

The privates run like our normal privates. All our privates (whether to work on solo/duet/trio, technique privates, tumble privates, etc) are $40 an hour. I usually do my privates in half hour time slots. Again, if it's a duet/trio, they split it. Some split it equally every week. Some take turns paying the $20 each week. I leave it up to them.

On a side note, our Mini teams (3rd grade and under) do not pay a choreography fee. One reason being we feel they can all benefit and improve from doing solos/duets/trios so this encourages that, and the other being it doesn't take as much "brain power" (at least for us) to choreograph these.

ReplySendWatch